Author Topic: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered  (Read 27460 times)

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
The kettle was waiting for me on my return from vacation. I have not had a chance to use it yet, but initially I was struck by the small size. I will post comparisons to my Bonavita variable temperature kettle this weekend.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »
The kettle was waiting for me on my return from vacation. I have not had a chance to use it yet, but initially I was struck by the small size. I will post comparisons to my Bonavita variable temperature kettle this weekend.

Don't even bother..

Pack that tiny junker right back up and send it to me... I'll still give you $25 for that used clunker. Paypal on the ready..

I guess I could also pay the shipping.. so what...~$35 or so?  8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:31:27 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2013, 08:43:01 AM »
Jano, get ready.  The kettle is a just fortnight away!

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »
Jano, get ready.  The kettle is a just fortnight away!

B|Java

Oops...I jumped the gun.  ???

Probably gonna cost me $5.

So $40 to you Jano as soon as this unpleasant kettle becomes unwelcome in your kitchen just let me know.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »
This kettle is a beautiful thing, as nice to use as it is to look at. The control of the pour is better than any I have ever used. My problem is that I am spoiled by the electric kettle. The transferring of water is an unwanted extra step for me. If the pour over was favorite brewing method, I would probably be all over this. Perhaps somewhere down the line I will find that I can't live without it. I will use it a few more times and ship it on to John F jano on Wednesday. Thanks to all who participated!
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

jano

« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
Well, you could make the tak an electric kettle easy, just get a little plug-in induction plate, and it won't me much different than the two-piece bonavita  ;D

jano

John F's Tak has arrived, I shall brea with it tomorrow.  This thing is so tiny, matches up nice with the v60 01!  The lip on the spout is surprisingly different from what you see in photos.  Cool.   8)

BoldJava

Thanks all for another 'road trip,' without one bump.  You folk are fine fellows and lady.

B|Java

jano

Admittedly, the Tak is pretty neat, I had my doubts since I have teppan ninja show pourover skills with the buono already.

Would there be anything wrong with directly boiling water in the tak on my gas stove?  Transferring boiled water from the buono is somewhat of a mundane chore, the stock pot is unweildy, and the sauce pot too small.

BoldJava

Would there be anything wrong with directly boiling water in the tak on my gas stove...

No, boil away.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
I direct boil when I have time..transfer when in a hurry.

Lee Morrison

jano

Final wrap up: sorry John, I'm keeping the Tak :(  I really like this thing: the spout's curve is perfect for the hario v60 01, and I can comfortably do a 3 minute pour if needed.  Very solid, hefty feel, comfortable, though requires a side grip for me versus pistol grip on other kettles.

The issues:
 -- handle gets hot if heated on the stove, such that I need to use a towel or glove
 -- if I step out of the kitchen while it is heating on the stove and reaches boil before I come back, it burps more than 50% of the water out over the course of a couple minutes, on whatever range setting (low to high)
 -- it is too shiny (I don't like shiny)

I believe I'd buy it over the hario or bonavita, two kettles I use on a regular basis.  I'd really love to try that other ridiculously expensive one from Yama I think?  The ugly one with wooden handle and super long spout. 

That's all, thank you again for the opportunity to try and then to keep this awesome kettle :)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
You would be the one to like it.  :P

Lee Morrison