Author Topic: Freebie Traveling Road Show: Tater Knob Pour Over Brewer  (Read 4689 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Freebie Traveling Road Show: Tater Knob Pour Over Brewer
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
This is a freebie traveling road show for one of my Tater Knob pour over brewers. I've just recently started using these brewers again, and I have come to believe that they are probably one of the better (if not the best) pour over brewers I have used.

You may revist my old Tater Knob thread for more info on this small Kentucky pottery maker.

As the title states, this road show is free. I'm going to past this brewer around to 10 people, let them try it out for a week or so, and then pass it on to the next person on the list. After it has made the rounds it will come back to me. To keep the weight and bulk down, I'll only be sending out the cup portion of the setup and not the corresponding brew pot. Usage instruction are to follow shortly.

Tater Knob Road Show Participants:

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Re: Freebie Traveling Road Show: Tater Knob Pour Over Brewer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:41:33 AM »
I only need one person to get this party started. Dave?

ecc

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Tater me up, I love pour overs!  Tater vs Beehouse, V60, Kalita. 

Does the Tater use the Bunn flat bottoms? 

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
Tater me up, I love pour overs!  Tater vs Beehouse, V60, Kalita. 

Does the Tater use the Bunn flat bottoms? 

I use standard coffee filters with a special fold. The Kalita filter may work in it. I'll post instructions in the near future.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »
I think you posted this on the wrong thread... your picture shows a shaving scuttle that someone messed up with holes in the bottom.  I bet you could fix it real good with some JB Weld!

LOL

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
I think you posted this on the wrong thread... your picture shows a shaving scuttle that someone messed up with holes in the bottom.  I bet you could fix it real good with some JB Weld!

Lol. Try it and you may be going after your shaving mugs with a drill.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:31:06 PM by headchange4u »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
Making a filter for the Tater Knob. Using a standard coffee filter, first flatten out the filter:

Fold in half:

Fold up one edge:

Flip over and fold up the edge on the opposite side:

You should end up with a filter that looks similar to a standard #1 Melitta filter. If you folded it right, the bottom portion should be about 1.75" wide. Once inserted into the cup it will conform surprisingly well to the shape of the Tater. I always rinse the filter before brewing, not only because it helps remove the paper taste, but also because it helps the filter stick to the brewer.

ecc,

I'm really glad it's going to someone who can put it up against different pour over brewers. I'll ship it out early next week. I'm still debating on sending the pitcher with the brewer. They really do make a lovely set and make the most lovely, almost musical "tink tink" as the coffee drips into the bottom portion while being brewed.

It will move on from there if anyone else is interested in giving it a go.

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
I am not sure about that folding  I can't do origami ;)

ecc

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
Tater in the house!  I have quite an assortment of paper filters around, but apparently need to pick up some standard ones.

A little over-confident, I screwed up the first cup using a kalita 185 white. (fit perfect)  The cup is a little tall and harder to see into than the others.  I didn't time the drain well and ended up stacking a bunch of water on top.

The dripper looks great.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »
I guess I should have posted some sort of jumping off point when it comes to using the brewer. I can brew up to 34 oz (about 50-55 grams of coffee) with the Tater, but a careful pour is required to keep from overflowing when you have that much coffee in it. My normal cup is 14-16 oz or so with about 21 grams of coffee. Medium fine grind, similar to what I would use for a Hario V60, or perhaps just a bit coarser. 

Anyone who has practiced their pour over technique should find the Tater a breeze. I recommend a preinfusion 40 seconds, to let the coffee bed bloom, and then a steady, constant pour in a circular motion. Keep the water level up just enough that the grounds are floating. Once the grounds are suspended, keep a steady constant flow of water throughout the process.

I think that one thing that makes this brewer work so well is that the coffee bed is pretty much even throughout, unlike the more prevalent cone shaped pour over brewers, which results in a very even extraction.

BTW,

I am really glad the Kalita filters fit the brewer. I'm gonna stock up.

ecc

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Took a few more shots at it this am.

The first with another Kalitah filter, the second with a generic round. (look closely)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:32:54 AM by ecc »

ecc

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
I am having trouble getting a good flow going with a medium grind.  Both 10oz cups were long, the second (that I tried to hurry) getting done in about 4:30.  I can't figure out why it wouldn't flow faster with all the drainage in the bottom.

The third cup I went with my phin dripper technique, a nice pre-infusion, a high turbulence pour, a quick light stir, cover, and then a very nice wait with the dripper tinkling happily for just under 3 minutes. The cup was strong and thick, working very well with a Costa Rican Tarrazu Dota roast.

I still have a metal filter to try, an Astoria group screen that looks the right size.  Or maybe a Peter paper clip addition to the bottom as a surface tension guide to help the drain.

The aesthetics are very nice, much different than my other pourover collections.  I really like it, despite some shortcomings.  The lip is a little tall, the sides a little narrower, I had to lower it and move it to a brighter spot to use.  I bet the pitcher  puts it over the top in the looks department.