Author Topic: Closed: Coffee Infuser, 30 oz, Travelling Road Show  (Read 11862 times)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Re: Closed: Coffee Infuser, 30 oz, Travelling Road Show
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
And I was thinking that Bold was next, and I was waiting for him to have a good address to send it on to. My bad.

Jimbo, message me your address and I'll put it in the post.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
Review:

I like it, but it's too big for daily use for me. I have a Piao 1 (500ml) that I use at school, and this creates the same cup, just more of it. But that is too small--it makes an European cup and midday it's nice to have an American-sized cup.

I saw the 2 cup Sowdon SoftBrew at CoffeeCon for @50% off, grabbed that and a demo 4 cupper. Getting them home was *interesting*, but it was worth it. I found that I prefer the Sowdon precisely because of the lid. I kept on forgetting that the roadshow lid could come off. The itty-bitty plastic handle was problematic as well since I have some arthritis. The 2 cup is the right size to stay under the radar, cleans very quickly, and doesn't have any moving parts. The Piao has the ball in the middle of the mesh that acts as the stopper; I have had that silly plastic stick that activates the stopper fall out and try to go down the drain when I'm rinsing the upper unit. Faugh. Knowing me, I'll break the plastic handle on the roadshow basket or I'll grab the lid and forget to hold on to the carafe.

Three parts. Simple. Sowdon for the win.

jimbo

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
Arrived today.  As expected similar to the Sowden.  The metal and rubber lid is different - the Sowden has a porcelain lid that just sits on top of the pot, and has to be held when pouring. 

I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how the results compare.

Jimbo

jimbo

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
Brought this with me on the road this week.  Company meeting in Chicago.  Funny how I get the looks when I tell my co-workers that, yes of course I bring my own coffee beans, grinder, kettle, and other assorted equipment.  And yes, even when I fly.  Heeelllllooooo.  Where else am I going to get a drinkable cup of coffee. 

Yes, I can get drinkable coffee in Chicago, but usually I find myself in places that you would have to look very hard to find on a map.

Oh yea, about the Coffee Infuser.  (I knew there was a reason I came here ...)

It has been a good partner on the road this week.  I have a Bonmac pour over that I normally use, but I find that this makes an equally good cup of coffee, and is a bit easier/less time consuming.  So I can multi-task in the morning.  I think, though I have not done any very scientific studies, that there are fewer fines in the cup compared to the Sowden.  It may have a little to do with the grind though, since I use my Hario Skerton on the road, and my Grindmaster at home.  Anyway, I think this would make a decent addition to the collection, and would make a good pot for any travel kit. 

Jimbo

jimbo

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 07:57:34 PM »
Oh, yea.  I forgot.  On to Fffolks this weekend.

Jimbo

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
I got the brewer today and I am impressed with the look. I will give it a try tomorrow.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
I really didn't care for this brewer, in part because it came to me at a time when I did not have the time or patience for it. I couldn't get more than 30 grams of coffee in it without having to putz around and treat it like a pour over. I am so happy with my current brew methods (Vac pot and Kone/Chemex) that I gave up quickly and sent it away.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson