Author Topic: Comandante C40 Hand Grinder - Roadshow & Lottery  (Read 27038 times)

Ray T

Payment sent

Rice the burrs 

jbviau

Let's just say Sosha wins so I can move up a spot in line and get this to play with sooner, ok?! ;)

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
Payment sent!!

Offline sosha

• Standard User

Let's just say Sosha wins so I can move up a spot in line and get this to play with sooner, ok?! ;)
😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
LMWDP #440

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Who has the grinder at the moment? Please send me a PM so I can give you my address.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Comandante C40 Hand Grinder - Roadshow & Lottery
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

We have a winner!  Congratulations, Sonnyhad, you've won the Comandante C40 hand grinder.  I've moved you to the bottom of the list and I should have the grinder in hand this week and will ship it on to Sosha next week to give it a try.

I dunno. Looks like a 4 to me. :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
We have a winner!  Congratulations, Sonnyhad, you've won the Comandante C40 hand grinder.  I've moved you to the bottom of the list and I should have the grinder in hand this week and will ship it on to Sosha next week to give it a try.
[/quote2
Oh that lucky sob!!!
Wait ! That's me!!! Wooo Hooo!
I was just explaining to the wife yesterday about how this works.

jbviau

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »
^^^ Congrats!

Chris, re: the two bearings, my memory is that they were steel *coated* in plastic of some sort. Any way to verify? I could be wrong, of course.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 06:24:20 PM »
 :D :D :D

My main interest in this grinder is for either French Press (Impress here too, Chris), or a CCD.   I need a travel grinder that weighs less than the Lido.  Don't get me wrong, the Lido is a great grinder.  It's just too big and heavy when every pound matters in my luggage.

Yes, I travel with bricks:  they're in the shape of scuba gear.
LMWDP #440

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
So I finally sat down to play with the grinder.  I'm comparing it to the Lido.   The size difference is huge.  The Lido weighs in at  37 oz, while the Commandante is at 20 oz.   Much better for travel, but a bit too round for my small hands. 

I've developed a great routine with the lido, which involved holding it between my legs when seated to grind.  It works because of the height. I'll keep playing with the new one, to find a better position. 

Taking Chris' advice, I'm not even going to try to grind fine enough for espresso.   The detent is firm, for dialing up and down, and I've found a sweet spot for drip.   Will continue to play, and post more impressions.
LMWDP #440

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
Yea, the size difference is HUGE.   If the Lido was cut down, it would be great.  I've had the C40 at work the last few days, and I must say.....it's a breeze for french press.  If I had this grinder, I think  I'd put some kind or neoprene no-slip strap around it, making it easier to hold on to.   Also, the top doesn't secure when grinding.   Maybe I missed something.

A great little travel grinder for drip/FP.  It's now on the way to jviau in MD.   I roasted a little something for you too, Joshua ;-)  Enjoy, and have fun!

Patty
LMWDP #440

jbviau

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
Sweet--thanks! Very nice of you, Patty. So the grind consistency for press was acceptable?

jbviau

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
The C40 arrived here in Baltimore yesterday afternoon, and I'm getting to know it. There are definitely a few build issues, which I'll say more about in a few days. For example, I can hear/feel burr rub up to and including 13 clicks from "zero." At 14 clicks out the shaft spins freely. Grinding 20 g. of Populace's Kenya at that setting took me 47 sec. (not bad) and was ~effortful with starts and stops; looked like fine drip afterward when I spread the grounds out on a white plate and poked around. I'll go coarser from here and do some taste tests using the Trifecta, pitting the C40 against the OE LIDO.

Speaking of, here's a pic showing the C40 and LIDO side by side: https://twitter.com/jbviau/status/390925190815043584

p.s. The Lycello W2 Gesha that Patty sent me a taste of is *very* good. First time I've ever detected "lychee" in coffee! Patty, what do you roast with?

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Thanks Josh!  I have a Gene Cafe, but I'm still a beginner.

LMWDP #440

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
Been pretty quiet here lately,  what's the latest? What's your opinion Josh?