Author Topic: Comandante C40 Hand Grinder - Roadshow & Lottery  (Read 27031 times)

jbviau

Re: Comandante C40 Hand Grinder - Roadshow & Lottery
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
My apologies. It's been way busier than usual here. Will weigh in after some final weekend testing and get this sent on its way to Mass. Wine Guy on Mon.

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Any thoughts on the C40 Josh?

jbviau

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »
Hold your horses, Sonny! It's gonna be a while until you get your hands on this... ;)

The C40 is on its way to the next member in line with an ETA of Thurs.

I don't think it's worth the time to rehash the build issues. It's enough to say that everything documented in the HB thread (mostly by TomC) is true of this unit. A few extra niggles I noticed:

- If you look down into the burrs from the top, the two Y-shaped bearings aren't quite aligned; this makes me wonder (possibly wrongly) about the possibility of there being a twist in the plasticized bearing carrier assembly. Sorry, but I found this impossible to take an adequate picture of.

- The "popper stopper" plastic disc that's attached to the crank and covers the hopper while grinding can come off or travel up the shaft if you push/pull.

Additionally, here's a short video of the well-documented burr wobble. It's supposed to be somewhat self-correcting when the burrs are actually grinding beans, but still:

Comandante C40 wobble

But enough of all that. Taste matters most, no? I did my best to match the grind I use with my Trifecta and then brewed back-to-back cups of a QED Honduras I had on hand while varying only the hand grinder used (Comandante C40 or OE LIDO 1). Coffee from the C40 was OK but clearly inferior to that from the LIDO in terms of aromatics (muted), body (thinner; cup structure fell apart more while cooling), and flavor (muddier profile; edgier). YMMV.

The bottom line: at this price point in particular, there's no way I can recommend the C40. Let's hope they address all of the problems that have been pointed out in the near future. I'll be rooting for them.

One more thing re: ergonomics/ease of use: the C40 grinds faster than the LIDO. However, it's more awkward to hold for me, and I have small hands. Didn't expect this.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »
Josh sent me the grinder post haste (thanks, man!) and I used it this morning for my French press fix. I don't make espresso, so I can't evaluate how well it wold work for that. But wow! I think for press pots this grinder is totally wonderful. My only suggestion would be to have a larger glass container so I don't need to keep removing it to empty the coffee. Still, though, $150? The Bodum burr grinder I bought for around $70 off Amazon works just as well.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
Except when you're going through an airport, or camping.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »

That was my favorite part about it.  It will travel like a rock star. 
LMWDP #440

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

That's why I carry ther Starbucks instant when on the road.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »

That's why I carry ther Starbucks instant when on the road.

That. is. asking. for. it.    ;D   ;D

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
I know. But there is only so much I want to lug around with me if I take a trip and stay at a motel or something. The grinder, the beans, something to make the coffee in.

BoldJava

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
I know. But there is only so much I want to lug around with me if I take a trip and stay at a motel or something. The grinder, the beans, something to make the coffee in.

I am with you on that except for the SBUX instant.  We cupped it one time in Milwaukee and found pouring water through a brown Chemex was more appealing than VIA.

When I used to travel on business, I would seek out a decent coffee shop.  Failing that, I would have tea and a 10am Coke to reach the caffeine fix.  When I go on vacation, it is the Espro press, coffee, and Hario hand grinder.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
You are a more dedicated soul than I, Peter.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2013, 07:58:27 PM »
You are a more dedicated soul than I, Peter.

For me, especially if I'm travelling alone, the quiet time and coffee ritual in my hotel room is somewhat of a link to my sanity, the one thing I have on the road that connects to home.

jano

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
It beats traveling with the Grindmaster.

Ssshhhhhhh!  It might hear you..   :-X

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »
Priceless Chris!!!

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
Is thing stuck somewhere?  There's no sign of life, even if this thing is a dud, its still gotta move on or the travelling road show will lose its credibility.