Author Topic: Coffee Crafters Artisan 6 fluid bed roaster  (Read 41276 times)

Offline dsil

• Standard User
Coffee Crafters Artisan 6 fluid bed roaster
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Anyone own one of these, or know someone who does?
Thinking of replacing my Sonofresco roasters with one of these.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:00:41 PM by Joe »

Offline dsil

• Standard User
Re: Coffee Crafters Artisan 6 fluid bed roaster
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
Thanks for your message sgreen :)

Offline kjr55w

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
I have one in transit, will arrive in Florida next week. Will post details after. Requires 60A 240v. New to fluid bed roasting. Been using IMEX 1500 power (korea) (30A 120v) and still use gene cafe once in a while.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:02:42 AM by kjr55w »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
60A 240V....  bam!!  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »
Look Forward to hearing more. I have heard back from a couple of roasters I found online that are using them, and they are very happy.

Offline daddiocatman

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:03:34 PM »
Artisan 6 Commercial Fluid Bed Coffee and Cacao Roaster from Coffee Crafters

Here's a video of the Artisan 6 doing a roast. Very interesting!

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
up and running yet kjr55w? what are your opinions on the roast?
Thanks!

Offline kjr55w

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »
It will probably be 2 more weeks before the first roast between my out of town travels and having a new "home"  built for the roaster. In fact I will be in Seattle and Spokane next week and plan to visit the company if I have time.  I am impressed with the quality and simplicity of the machinery. Promise a detailed report with pictures.

Offline kjr55w

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »
Thought I would post an update while thoughts are fresh. I just finished about an hour tour of the CoffeeCrafters facility with Ken Lanthrop in Liberty Lake Washington. Ken has joint ventured with Accrafab ( http://www.accrafab.com/ ) to try to make a lot of money by filling what he sees as an under served niche in the roaster market. He has some altruistic motives and activities  as well, but those can only be well served with the success of his for profit product.

The link with the most information on user feedback is currently CoffeeCrafters facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee-Crafters/510125592368044 ). For Ken's design goals see the CoffeeGeek Forum (http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/628638 ), and CoffeeForum ( http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-roasters/10866-fluid-bed-roaster-startup.html ). Be sure to scroll down for his responses to posted concerns.

My takeaways (opinion mixed with facts):
Honesty & Integrity – I believe him; straightforward and commonsensical
Product quality, facility capabilities, inventory – exceeded expectations. First rate design and production facility, substantial investment. Choice to team with Accrafab was really smart. There 30 years of experience creates a real synergy with Ken's vision, tinkering ambitions and KISS approach. A LOT of well made and purchased parts in various stages of assembly.
Batch Size – we did 2 roasts, 1/2lb (300g) and 2lb (~900g). I was particularly interested in the low end and I see no problems with the finished product. Ken says he has roasted as little as 1/3lb.

For me the final verdict will or will not be in the cup. I have managed to make my Gene and my Imex produce what I like and I am very encouraged by my visit. I should start roasting when we return to Florida next week,  will post as I go. Let me know what you want to know about this machine and I will try to comply. First roast I think I will do is the Vietnam Temple hills to compare to the drum roast espresso.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
I'm impressed.

Would like to add an automation package.

Offline kjr55w

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »
Im kinda with you Scott, but most of the company folk seem more atuned to the "roasting is a simple process" which I may end up agreeing with. We'll see. I am by nature attentive to details, but open to pursuing the essence of our  quest for nirvana and not getting lost in the forest. The roasts were satisfying on a raw level being able to look in on the beans and sample smells and sounds more directly on the senses. I am contemplating the ability to pull samples at 15 sec intervals with some kind of ladle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
One owner I contacted said the sonofresco produced a better roast, but the ability to produce much more volume far outweighs the slightly better roast.
I know a fellow GCBCer will lead me in the right direction. I look forward to your roast and input. :)

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:14 AM »
hey kjr55w have you settled in with the new roaster yet??

Offline kjr55w

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
Hi dsil,
I did the first roast Jul 1. Pooched. 2nd roast Guat HueHue to 450F in 8.5min 2-1/2lb. Drinkable at day1 and 2. Still hasn't peaked. 3rd roast this morning at 5am. Lining of flex duct came loose pluging up air flow. Pooched. Replumbed. I am in the middle of a learning curve and too many demands on my time with the holiday coming up.
I did manage to calibrate the two Allclad T223 ovenprobes in ice bath were both within .1 degree F of each other and reading 31.8. Compared to Amprobe TMD-56 reading 32.9.
This roaster is fun. Even (or especially) for dumb ass roaster like me. Still learning to profile the roast and figure the motion logistics.
Now if I could just produce a good espresso. Stay tuned.

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »
Hi Kevin,
  Sounds like you are in deep. I suspected there would be a learning curve going to a manual roaster. Does the company provide you with a list of basic settings based on origin? I just finished 94# with my sonofresco sand was wishing I had the artisan roaster. I need to have my electrical checked out to see if I need a complete upgrade before buying. Thank you for your generous offer, but I trust your judgement and taste.
I look forward to hearing your perfected results.
-Doug