Author Topic: Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.  (Read 29040 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
Along with the group buy thread I'll sticky this thread.

I think I'll post my quick vid of the perf drum siding damper to kick off the thread and so  it doesn't get lost.

Huky 500 perf drum: http://youtu.be/J7rsvgCZNJk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:01:09 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »
That is pretty trick. Is there a lever that lets you control it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:58:13 PM by John F »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
Yes.

The wood handle by the motor opens/closes the damper. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

wideasleep1

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
I received zippo instructions, so we're on our own to figure things out...I just wanted to start sortova checklist from unboxing to final assembly and function (I'll update this post as I discover things).

1) Unbox and unwrap everything, as an opportunity to inventory, and identify each component. (what does this thermocouple do?)
2) Match the delivered order to your original order: ask fellow members if in doubt, but email Mr. Li with any obvious oversights.
2) Install bean door: Locate the supplied hinge and screws, and the supplied food grade lubricant (HUKY label!) and inject a glob of lube on the END of the installed hinge (left). Smear a bit on the end of the door rod, and insert the door rod into the fixed hinge. Temporarily align the free hinge (now on the right) to the groove on the door rod. Carefully check alignment of the hinge holes to the tapped holes in Huky's faceplate. Alignment will require sliding the rod further into the left hinge until the free hinge and holes line up. Once it looks aligned, remove the free hinge, and smear and drop a glob of the lubricant in its groove. Insert the two screws into the hinge and carefully replace the hinge onto the rod. With a free hand, use the torx driver supplied, and prepare to drive the screws once alignement has been attained. Loose at first until both screws are started, gently screw the hinge until secure. 'Two fingers' tight should be enough..AVOID stripping the threads in Huky's faceplate.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:14:18 PM by wideasleep1 »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
I wondered what that lubricant syringe was for.

Lee Morrison

wideasleep1

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:46 PM »

Not gonna touch that one! ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:54:39 PM by wideasleep1 »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »

Not gonna touch that one! ;)

Thanks man, now I have to get that image out of my mind....

So has any of you goofballs actually performed a roast? Or is the putting it together part really hard?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
I could have roasted 10 min out of the box but I'm in no hurry.  I'm building mine up bit by bit to exactly what I want and I don't even have my data wire (might get here today), exhaust plan (talked to my hvac buddy an hour ago), or the table I'm going to build on...probably going to Ikea soon.

No rush.

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
I could have roasted 10 min out of the box but I'm in no hurry.  I'm building mine up bit by bit to exactly what I want and I don't even have my data wire (might get here today), exhaust plan (talked to my hvac buddy an hour ago), or the table I'm going to build on...probably going to Ikea soon.

No rush.

You are killing me....Burn a batch!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 01:11:46 PM »
Nope... blingy tricked out set up is on the way.

It can't be rushed but you should start thinking about selling your Sono.  :P

Lee Morrison

johnny4lsu

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
You are a bucket of patience.. No way I could have waited that long

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
You are a bucket of patience.. No way I could have waited that long

I did 2 batches on the Hottop yesterday... I'll survive until I get the Huky "just so".

Lee Morrison

jano

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »
The "in-thing" with the Huky when you get it:
1. roast a few batches up front, with intention to pooch the roast.  The inside of the drum will season after multiple roasts.
2. Consider seasoning the outside of the drum, if you have a solid one - this means taking it apart, wipe a little oil on it, and heat it up in the oven or BBQ like a cast iron pan.  This apparently provides a little better control (heat absorption).
3. The lubricant is also for the bearings.  You'll want to put a little dab there once in a while.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
Any way you cam post a pic of where the bearings are at/where you apply at?

Lee Morrison

wideasleep1

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 04:47:11 PM »
Any way you cam post a pic of where the bearings are at/where you apply at?

John..don't need to remove the drum to season it..just the shroud. slather some flax oil into your palm, turn on the motor, and place your hand under the drum and follow its rotation. You'll have it covered thickly in no time. Then, add the shroud back (careful of scratches!), button him up, and put over a burner on the stove and heat it to near 400F. Done.

The friction points are really the door hinges..but should you remove your drum...a smear on the end of a drum before you insert the support rod into the front bearing isn't a bad thing..but the bearing itself does the 'work'. :)