Author Topic: Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.  (Read 29038 times)

jano

Re: Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »
Wideasleep1: he was asking about the bearings, not the seasoning.

John F: Kuanho sent me these pictures ages ago when I had the same question.. not sure if it's the same now, however, should give you an idea.  There are two, one at the front, one at the back of the unit at the body/motor intersection.

wideasleep1

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »
I hadn't looked closely. Surprised they're not sealed bearings. ???

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 05:46:32 AM »
Yeah....I'm not going to season the drum but I will take care of those bearings.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »
Just did my first test run with no data logging or anything just to get a feel for things.

The stock ir stove and regulator seem pretty powerful.  8)

300g to FC in 8 min SC at ~10min on minimal gas or fan power 17 degree F ambient temp.

Interesting note...I never even thought of using the trier. The window is right there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:34:30 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
Nice, how was the cup?

Man I would have had about 100 roasts done by now..
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
I used a bean I'm not digging much to test with so it's hard to say.

I'm in no hurry with the Huky. It's gonna be perfect once I get it all set up.   8)

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 08:44:29 AM »
I still haven't set my Huky up yet but felt like trying a 500g batch.

It looks great but it went a little long at 16min. Next time I'll bring on the heat a bit faster.

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Are you roasting pretty regularly now? That picture actually is the best that I have seen for the configuration. Make a video.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 03:42:45 AM »
This thread seems to have gone cold.  How are you all doing with your Huky?  Is this still a viable option?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 05:35:57 AM »
I am still very happy with mine.

The only reason I would use anything else is if I needed a much larger batch size.

Lee Morrison

RobertL

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »
This thread seems to have gone cold.  How are you all doing with your Huky?  Is this still a viable option?

I enjoy roasting on my Huky and the coffee it produces but it is not with its quirks. If you're a hands on type of person you'll love it, if you're a set and forget person it's not for you. I noticed in another thread you mentioned you're considering a Sonofresco or a Kaldi roaster, two completely different roasting experiences. The Sono is a one button set and forget roast from what I understand versus the Kaldi is a hands on roaster. Have you thought about that or does that matter to you?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »
Good point.

I'm a hands on roster so even as I purchased all the probes, got Artisan, and reviewed 100 graphs I immediately threw all that our the window and only use the analog temp and a timer. I adjust everything on the fly manually.

I could use 3 digital probes and Artisan roast charts if I wanted but ultimately it's not my thing. Eyes, ears, nose, and a clock are my jam.  8)

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 08:45:55 AM »
Good point.

I'm a hands on roster so even as I purchased all the probes, got Artisan, and reviewed 100 graphs I immediately threw all that our the window and only use the analog temp and a timer. I adjust everything on the fly manually.

I could use 3 digital probes and Artisan roast charts if I wanted but ultimately it's not my thing. Eyes, ears, nose, and a clock are my jam.  8)

If I was ever to get a manual drum I don't think I would go the graph Artisan route myself. I like what John says.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
Thanks guys!

I guess I'm at the point where I don't want hands off, but don't really feel like tinkering too much  :D

I've roasted on so many different roasters/gizmos. I've been annoying the ease of use of the Gene but it's died for the third time now, so it's time for an upgrade.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
Huky arrived 2 weeks ago and I've got about 6 roasts on it. 

I was pretty attentive to look and smell on the Behmor (as best as it will allow) and have been having pretty good success.  No wasted batches yet!

I'm super happy with the Huky's power/heat AND heat flexibility, plus the fan/cooling situation, and the lack of down-time between batches. 

The B was a very good intro to roasting and I learned a lot from using it for 2 years.

Input, hints, tricks, and recipes are welcome replies.  I got it 2nd hand and don't have a 2nd fan. Also have only 1 digi probe.