Author Topic: Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.  (Read 29035 times)

RobertL

Re: Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
Welcome to the Huky family! I wish there were more Huky owners and Huky conversations here! Especially since I'm no longer allowed to hang around on the Huky forum.  :o ;D

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
Welcome to the Huky family! I wish there were more Huky owners and Huky conversations here! Especially since I'm no longer allowed to hang around on the Huky forum.  :o ;D

I was going to wait and see who would bite...It's been a couple days and I have to know. What happened at the Huky forum?
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »
If it's like many of the other forums, he probably forgot to bow down at the right moment or looked someone directly in the eye or something as equally ... vapid.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
If it's like many of the other forums, he probably forgot to bow down at the right moment or looked someone directly in the eye or something as equally ... vapid.

Aaron

yeah I bet they will be quick to forgive transgressions as well if that is the case.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 05:29:03 AM »

Aaron

yeah I bet they will be quick to forgive transgressions as well if that is the case.

Huh? An implication of douche-baggery?

Anyway, it seems like there isn't much talk on the dedicated Huky Forum either.  There are a few guides, some purchase tips, and some other stuff, but its not very active.  Much of it the conversation occurs in the HB roasting area where folks are posting their profiles and discussing the Flick which I haven't learned about yet. 

I'm guessing some of the talk is on WasteBook which I don't use.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 06:08:30 AM »
There's a variety of different profiles on the Huky forum to experiment with. They differ somewhat depending on the drum style, perforated or solid. And there are excellent Artisan setup guides.

Just like other forums, questions can be repetitive; especially for folks ordering/using a Huky for the first time or advancing from a popper.

A better way to use that forum is to post a graph from Artisan, list the settings used on a Huky stove including air control, along with problems or defects. If you found a killer roast profile the same can be done.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
Dedicated forum? You know it's just a bunch of familiar faces in the various forums that basically decided to buy a Huky and then start a forum. It's not a forum that has any input from the manufacturer in Taiwan.

But on the suggestion of DB's, knowing some of the individuals involved and their very consistent personalities....yeah that's probably unavoidable ;)

The shocker is that Robert is/was in the inner circle...that's what i am curious about. Susan (one of the co-creators) quit at one point and now I guess she is back in.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:45:50 AM by Joe »

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
There's a variety of different profiles on the Huky forum to experiment with. They differ somewhat depending on the drum style, perforated or solid. And there are excellent Artisan setup guides.

Just like other forums, questions can be repetitive; especially for folks ordering/using a Huky for the first time or advancing from a popper.

A better way to use that forum is to post a graph from Artisan, list the settings used on a Huky stove including air control, along with problems or defects. If you found a killer roast profile the same can be done.

That is what I was thinking. I have been manually logging as I  don't have Artisan.  Just converted some of my roasts to graphs. In doing so I notified a steep uptick right before 1c when I had already turned the gas off in 2 graphs. 

Is 1c pretty quiet usually?  The Huky is louder than the Behmor. 

How well does the cooling tray fit the fan? I have suction that I want to eliminate but have to be able to remove the tray.

RobertL

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
Dedicated forum? You know it's just a bunch of familiar faces in the various forums that basically decided to buy a Huky and then start a forum. It's not a forum that has any input from the manufacturer in Taiwan.

But on the suggestion of DB's, knowing some of the individuals involved and their very consistent personalities....yeah that's probably unavoidable ;)

The shocker is that Robert is/was in the inner circle...that's what i am curious about. Susan (one of the co-creators) quit at one point and now I guess she is back in.

You're right about Susan being back. I don't agree with the way she runs the site, I don't think it's conducive to learning and sharing. She kind of freaked out after I mentioned offering a few pounds of greens to the group for roasting, learning and sharing profiles. That was the last straw for me so I deleted all of my post and quit visiting the site. Once she noticed my deleted post she sent me an email explaining my profile was deleted and I had been banned. Oh well...

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »

You're right about Susan being back. I don't agree with the way she runs the site, I don't think it's conducive to learning and sharing. She kind of freaked out after I mentioned offering a few pounds of greens to the group for roasting, learning and sharing profiles. That was the last straw for me so I deleted all of my post and quit visiting the site. Once she noticed my deleted post she sent me an email explaining my profile was deleted and I had been banned. Oh well...

Sorry to hear that.

if it makes you feel any better she was banned from our site after years of "histrionics ;D" despite John and my best efforts to calm the drama. She was given a choice and she requested that we delete her account. So it's not really a surprise. Still sucks though so I am really sorry you are having to deal with that. I see there is a lot changing in the sectarian groups that basically all lead back to Home-Barista/Coffeegeek/Sweet Maria's.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:03:09 PM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:05 PM »
oh you just HAD to squeeze in that H word Joe huh  8)

If it makes you feel better, I was kicked out of a few of the forums myself.  I guess they couldn't just handle my charming personality.
Basically ive noticed that most of them,  it's like North Korea, if you disagree with dear leader, you get summarily executed.
Most of the 'tolerant' leadership you see in those places are the same types you see at Berkley throwing rocks and setting cars on fire.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
Hahaha you know it. I have been released from two forums and i am definitely persona non grata at a couple more...all happen to be connected to the same "leaders"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:23:26 AM by Joe »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 05:24:46 AM »

That is what I was thinking. I have been manually logging as I  don't have Artisan.  Just converted some of my roasts to graphs. In doing so I notified a steep uptick right before 1c when I had already turned the gas off in 2 graphs. 

Is 1c pretty quiet usually?  The Huky is louder than the Behmor. 

How well does the cooling tray fit the fan? I have suction that I want to eliminate but have to be able to remove the tray.

I started roasting with my used Huky without datalogging and using the built in damper. First change was to add in a cheap light dimmer and calibrate it with an anemometer. That worked fine until I tried hooking up Artisan. The "flick" at the end of the roast is another debate, if one turns off the gas that usually takes care of it. Also dropping at the end of 1C solves it as well.

An easy profile to use is what I call a 4-3-2-1 using 454g. Charge at 160-180c at .5 kPa and low air. At the TP crank up the gas to 4kPa, at 150c reduce to 3kPa, 160c 2kPa, 170c 1kPa, 180c 1-.5kPa, 190c (as necessary), 1c (increase air). It's a declining ROR type profile for a filter roast; if one is roasting longer the gas can be temporarily increased/bumped up at 180c to give momemtem at boost.

The Huky was originally designed for a single fan, and required a lot of switching around at the end of the roast. Having two or three screens would make it easier as well. Also the router controller has proved to be a better air controller than the dimmer and is supposed to work with Artisan.

Doesn't sound like your having any issues with the fan, it can be blocked up a little if necessary; and the vent bowl is a useful accessory. The little motor in the back is noisy, holds up pretty well for a 17$ part.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »

I started roasting with my used Huky without datalogging and using the built in damper. First change was to add in a cheap light dimmer and calibrate it with an anemometer. That worked fine until I tried hooking up Artisan. The "flick" at the end of the roast is another debate, if one turns off the gas that usually takes care of it. Also dropping at the end of 1C solves it as well.

An easy profile to use is what I call a 4-3-2-1 using 454g. Charge at 160-180c at .5 kPa and low air. At the TP crank up the gas to 4kPa, at 150c reduce to 3kPa, 160c 2kPa, 170c 1kPa, 180c 1-.5kPa, 190c (as necessary), 1c (increase air). It's a declining ROR type profile for a filter roast; if one is roasting longer the gas can be temporarily increased/bumped up at 180c to give momemtem at boost.

The Huky was originally designed for a single fan, and required a lot of switching around at the end of the roast. Having two or three screens would make it easier as well. Also the router controller has proved to be a better air controller than the dimmer and is supposed to work with Artisan.

Doesn't sound like your having any issues with the fan, it can be blocked up a little if necessary; and the vent bowl is a useful accessory. The little motor in the back is noisy, holds up pretty well for a 17$ part.

I got a light dimmer and have it wired in Will have to look up an anemometer (I guess that is a wind-speed meter). 

Thanks for the recipe you provided Hank.  Appreciated!  I have been drinking pour-over, spro shots, and either flash brew or Toddy.  I've been dropping the temp before 1C but with manual graphing it's easier to see when/where I need to drop it sooner. 

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
Personally, sometimes I think people put too much geekery into roasting coffee.  Yes there are basic things you need to do / need to know but knowing your temperature down to half a degree, dragged out 5 decimal points... is it really that important?  Ohhh NOOOO,  my soak time went 2.8 seconds longer this roast and the drum turned 3/4 of a turn less this roast than last roast.  Sometimes I think the OCD that people can develop with having gigabytes of numbers can make them lose site of the hobby and how to actually roast coffee.  I liken it to the retards you see working the cash registers at McDonalds, they can press a button correctly most of the time, but god help you if the power goes out, or the calculator messes up, they don't even know how to make simple change.  Don't get yourself so lost in your little microcosym of self perceived perfection that you lose sense on how the process works.  By the time you finally figure out how to 'nail that perfect roast'... two pounds later, your stash is gone, and all that perfect timing will NOT carry over to the next origin of beans you buy.

Aaron