Author Topic: Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please  (Read 35262 times)

Kind_Karma

Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
     I am in a weird situation- I feel like I just got ripped off, so I wanted to see if any of you have any advice/help. I bought a 1 kilo roaster from Mill City Roasters. I mostly worked with Dave a.k.a. BoldJava(who really sealed the deal for me to go with Mill City Roasters) and placed an order w/ 1 kilo roaster and 200 lbs. of greens with him. So I picked up the roaster on Friday & opened the crate this morning. They sent me the wrong roaster (same size but different color than I ordered) and the wrong transformer(they sent me one that has a permanent non-removable Chinese plug). So I emailed Dave & Steve Green(owner of Mill City Roasters). Dave is on vacation, but Steve replied. Steve's response was that I should open up the transformer and cut the Chinese plug off of the cord and take the wires and splice it to a U.S. plug(voiding the warranty?). I responded by telling him that I was not comfortable doing electrical modifications to the transformer. I also told him that I was frustrated and asked him if they could take the roaster back since it was inoperable and the wrong roaster. Steve told me that I would have to pay for the shipping($500) and then they would decide on how much they would give me after inspecting the condition. I asked him if he could just send me the correct transformer so that I could at least just use the roaster. No response yet, but still got a bad feeling about my experience with Mill City Roasters so far.

Couple of questions:
-Does this sound weird to anybody else?
-Is this common for an experience with Mill City Roasters?
-Any advice on how to proceed? I have a brand-new $4,500 nonworking roaster sitting in my workshop or I send it back and possibly lose $1,000 for something that is not my fault and for no reason?

Thanks & Peace.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:51:40 AM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Maybe wait for the other guy to come back from vacation?  That does sound kind of not cool especially when it is their mistake.

They should pay for the postage really since it was their screw up and NOT what you ordered.   Telling you they have to inspect first is common with most companies.  They need to make sure they got everything back that they shipped you and it isn't all banged up and damaged.  If you do end up shipping back make SURE you take very good pictures of what you sent back to them in case there are issues once they get it back.

The common sense thing would be to send you the transformer, along with an apology for the wrong color and maybe a gift cert or something on a future purchase from them.  It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.  Sorry for your hastles, stuff like this is never fun.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

GC7

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
I would be as patient as possible and see if calm reasoning and documentation of what you received and what you actually ordered results in you getting the roaster you wanted and expected.

I don't know Steve but if Dave works with/for him I'm sure it will work out. I've never communicated with or interacted with a more reasonable and honorable fellow in the coffee community than Dave. I can't believe they won't make this a good transaction.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »

I don't know Steve but if Dave works with/for him I'm sure it will work out. I've never communicated with or interacted with a more reasonable and honorable fellow in the coffee community than Dave. I can't believe they won't make this a good transaction.

There ya go.

Talk to Dave, he is "the most honerable fellow in the coffee community" this pretty much guarantees you got nothing to worry about. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »
Your kidding right?

It's got the right wire with the wrong plug? They do make adaptor's; I've got a few around the house that are multi-national. Otherwise cut the plug off and put a replacement on.

It's really inefficient to be mailing a heavy transformer back and forth, not to mention its a commercial machine not a home appliance. What are you going to do if it needs a minor adjustment? That's your job as well; although they are going to give you telephone suports and parts if necessary.

Maybe Steve can email you exactly how the wires hook up. That's the most reasonable solution to the plug problem.

If it's the wrong transformer voltage that's a different situation. North 1K roasters are all 220V, and that's disclosed in their sales data. Color is a mix-up at the factory or Mill City; if that's a big deal maybe they can cut you a deal on something.

Once you start roasting and get the wrinkles ironed out; your probably going to be a happy camper.  :)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
It's unfortunate Dave isn't around much anymore on GCBC. I am sure he will make everything as it should. I don't have a lot of experience with Steve but that does sound a bit of an odd response. Usually if there is a mistake at all I would think they would do what it takes to make you happy and Satisfied. I personally would have bought an used roaster...not sure why people buy new ones they don't wear out and the parts are usually common. I saw that Mill City is a major sponsor at home barista I would petition them there to make the right decision regarding your situation. I'm sure it will work out in the end.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »
Wrong plug? Get an electrician to replace it and send them the bill if you can't do it yourself. Get that baby roasting to recoup your investment.

Kind_Karma

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
UPDATE: Dave a.k.a. BoldJava emailed me that he is stepping out of the situation and that I need to work with Steve Green. Steve Green emailed me and said that if I want to return the wrong roaster that I have to pay for crating and return shipping. Steve also said that he would buy a transformer off of amazon and send it to me if I want to keep the wrong roaster. I will see what my legal options are since I was sold a roaster(and shown pictures before purchasing), was sent the wrong roaster and was offered a cheap transformer off of amazon to get it in working condition. Steve mentioned again about cutting and stripping the wire to replace the plug, which means the roaster will be altered from its original condition and possibly voiding the warranty. I bought a brand-new roaster and was told it would be ready to go minus the propane tank and exhaust venting. I went with Mill City Roasters because I heard they had good customer service and support- which is needed when purchasing a roaster with Chinese parts.

As recommended here, I posted the original post on Home-Barista and it was removed promptly. I don't get it, I was just trying to get support from the online coffee community that I have learned so much from over the years.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any additional advice welcome :)

Thanks & Peace.

Charly

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:49:54 AM »
     I am in a weird situation- I feel like I just got ripped off, so I wanted to see if any of you have any advice/help. I bought a 1 kilo roaster from Mill City Roasters. I mostly worked with Dave a.k.a. BoldJava(who really sealed the deal for me to go with Mill City Roasters) and placed an order w/ 1 kilo roaster and 200 lbs. of greens with him. So I picked up the roaster on Friday & opened the crate this morning. They sent me the wrong roaster (same size but different color than I ordered) and the wrong transformer(they sent me one that has a permanent non-removable Chinese plug). So I emailed Dave & Steve Green(owner of Mill City Roasters). Dave is on vacation, but Steve replied. Steve's response was that I should open up the transformer and cut the Chinese plug off of the cord and take the wires and splice it to a U.S. plug(voiding the warranty?). I responded by telling him that I was not comfortable doing electrical modifications to the transformer. I also told him that I was frustrated and asked him if they could take the roaster back since it was inoperable and the wrong roaster. Steve told me that I would have to pay for the shipping($500) and then they would decide on how much they would give me after inspecting the condition. I asked him if he could just send me the correct transformer so that I could at least just use the roaster. No response yet, but still got a bad feeling about my experience with Mill City Roasters so far.

Couple of questions:
-Does this sound weird to anybody else?
-Is this common for an experience with Mill City Roasters?
-Any advice on how to proceed? I have a brand-new $4,500 nonworking roaster sitting in my workshop or I send it back and possibly lose $1,000 for something that is not my fault and for no reason?

Thanks & Peace.

Sounds weird to me. I've had great service from Mill City, including phone weekend calls from Steve and Dave and free shipping( to British Columbia) for my 2k roaster when there was a long delay getting the machine from China. Best roaster for the price by far!  I think you should calm down and be patient. Have somebody put a new plug end on for you and get roasting!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »
My tongue is bleeding....

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

RobertL

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
If you're not comfortable wiring the transformer hiring an electrician is a good option. Did you ask Steve if rewiring would void the warranty? I would ask him if he would pay an electrician to do the work. I thought I read that you picked the roaster up from Mill City. If they are close by bring the transformer back and let them rewire it. I understand you're in a frustrating situation but I would be patient and try to work through it.

Kind_Karma

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
Hi all,
Thank you for sharing your different perspectives. The roaster was shipped to a freight place, where I picked it up. Since the roaster sent to me was not the one I ordered, is currently non-operable and customer service has been shaky, I am looking into my options for returning. If the customer service is not supportive when I was sent the wrong roaster, then I am concerned that it will not be supportive when I need to set it up and if there are any hardware or technical issues.

Once again, my intention was to get advice from fellow roasters, not to bad mouth a vendor. Thanks again and hopefully I can recover my investment and buy something that will get me roasting again...

Thanks & Peace.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:32 AM »
UPDATE: Dave a.k.a. BoldJava emailed me that he is stepping out of the situation and that I need to work with Steve Green. Steve Green emailed me and said that if I want to return the wrong roaster that I have to pay for crating and return shipping. Steve also said that he would buy a transformer off of amazon and send it to me if I want to keep the wrong roaster. I will see what my legal options are since I was sold a roaster(and shown pictures before purchasing), was sent the wrong roaster and was offered a cheap transformer off of amazon to get it in working condition. Steve mentioned again about cutting and stripping the wire to replace the plug, which means the roaster will be altered from its original condition and possibly voiding the warranty. I bought a brand-new roaster and was told it would be ready to go minus the propane tank and exhaust venting. I went with Mill City Roasters because I heard they had good customer service and support- which is needed when purchasing a roaster with Chinese parts.

As recommended here, I posted the original post on Home-Barista and it was removed promptly. I don't get it, I was just trying to get support from the online coffee community that I have learned so much from over the years.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any additional advice welcome :)

Thanks & Peace.

Wow! Home barista deleted a post? Scandalous.

Well I'm a little surprised that Dave would separate himself from the conversation as he was seemingly your point of contact for the deal. You should have some sort of purchase protection from any funding source you used. I would contact that first and of course you always have small claims rights you can exercise if you feel as if there is no solution through your credit card or through the merchant. Honestly I am really surprised there isn't overwhelming support being offered by Mill City given that they are marketing so heavily to the "home roaster" presumably on the cusp of going pro.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:12:31 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
Is the voltage correct on the transformer?
If so then changing the plug is a piece of cake, it's literally two wires.

Ask him if you follow his suggestion and do your own splicing if it will void the warranty?

I have not dealt with these folks, so can't give you first person data but do know others who have and they have had nothing but good to say about this company.  For them to be so 'curt' with you makes me wonder if there is not something else going on?

We are just hearing 'your side' of the story here.  Id like to hear their side as well, as it'd be only fair however being a business they may not wish that out of professionalism.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
I find it hard to believe HB deleted a post, however; Dan does have his thing about sponsor complaints. In fact he has a thing about merchant complaints in general. It has been tossed about in having a forum for any complaints and an opportunity for the merchant in question to respond. I understand Dan's position on this as he has a fine line to ride and as mentioned above, "there are two sides of every story." On the other hand, I have seen complaint threads run with plenty of chatter and it was not deleted.
To the OP, the transformer is not a big deal but I do understand if you are uncomfortable; I wonder what you will do when the drum motor acts up or you need to replace the PID or a thermocouple or phidget. I really understand the color not being correct and I would be PISSED if it was not Maize and Blue, if you have documentation that the color was supposed to be Maize and Blue and it is crimson tide, then they need to make that right to your satisfaction at NO cost to you. Good luck my friend and I will add that Dave is a straight up guy and I have never heard of anyone having an issue with him; I do not know and have never met Steve and if Dave has walked away from this I suspect Steve has told him to and that he would handle it. Perhaps if you try again on HB without mentioning the vendor, Dan will let it go. You can mention the TJ-067, and I would think the name Steve; just don't say mill city because it will be dumped and just mentioning the TJ-067 everyone will know who you are referring too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:18:51 PM by Joe »