Author Topic: Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please  (Read 34834 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
I think Joe wants a candy apple red Huky.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

RobertL

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
This.....

Nick purchased a blue roaster w/ a black chrome top. He received a blue roaster with a black chrome top, albeit apparently a lighter shade of blue than he expected. He was also told, and apparently conveniently forgotten, that color matching from China is always open to interpretation.

Is why asked this question earlier. Knew there had to be more to the story.

May I ask what color you ordered and what color you received? I'm just curious.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »
I think Joe wants a candy apple red Huky.  8)

They can't even spell Husky right. Why would I trust them to do the rest right?

I will say this for Chinese knock-offs of anything...God Bless them! Seriously they bring the costs down on US made or assembled stuff too and keep the pressure on the US companies to not get as greedy as they can. Especially on a niche market like roasters I have to Imagine, Dietrich, Ambex, et. al. are paying attention.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »
My tongue is bleeding....

My feelings exactly.
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Kind_Karma

TJ-067 Roaster situation update
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that Steve contacted me again after seeing my post in here. He offered to pay for crating/return shipping and issue me a refund for the roaster mix-up that occurred. I feel relieved that they are doing the right thing, thank you all for your input & ideas.

Thanks & Peace.

Kind_Karma

Re: TJ-067 Roaster situation update
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
Sorry, I thought my original post was deleted so I did not see it to respond to any color questions. I just saw Steve's response. I am not going to comment on it because A.) My intention from the get go was to get ideas/brainstorming how to proceed  & B.) I am not interested in a he said/she said internet thing & do not feel I should have to copy/paste his initial email responses before I posted here & before the credit card company was contacted, to show the truth.

The colors are very different- attached below is the color I received(picture taken in the shade, even lighter w/ light), this is what I was told I was purchasing(picture taken during the day, in light) and this color was in a picture of our shipment about to ship to us- https://millcityroasters.com/roaster-news/can-color-want-long-red/). Plus, I didn't put into my first post that we initially agreed on a dark blue color that they already offer, he told me I didn't have to pay at that time because it was my roaster and just to pay before it ships. I called back to pay and they sold the roaster I custom ordered. After that roaster came in, I was told that they liked the color combination I came up with so much, that they were going to start carrying it and that it looked, "beautiful."(quote from a different worker @ MCR). Great, they liked the dark blue with black chrome combination that I wanted and they sold it to somebody else. Then they tried to get the correct color combination on a different order and I was told that it was verified with Mr. Lee in China that it would be in the next order. But then I was told later that it was not on that shipment and that I would have to wait longer. So yeah, the color thing has been a drag, but they knew exactly what I wanted and that it was important to me.

And yes, I didn't know I would have to cut and strip wires. I am not an electrician. I do know somebody who's father who was an electrician but died from an electrocution accident during a job. My wife's family has also had their house burn down to the ground. I was also told that if I modify the wiring on a major appliance, that it could affect home fire insurance. So yeah, I wasn't very excited about the transformer having a non-removable Chinese plug and that I would have to open the transformer because it came with a loose wire.

Thank you for this forum and credit card protection. Thank you to Steve for eventually taking care of the mix-up by paying for crating/return shipping and a full-refund.

Peace.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
Interested to see who will post next and what they will say.  :-X btw I hate that color. I had a frost turquoise '67 mustang that I immediately painted dark blue.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:30:43 PM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2015, 03:21:09 AM »
Well look at it this way.
After you have a few very good fires in your roaster the tone of the paint will soot down and be just what you  ordered!  He was just trying to prod you into using it :D

Glad it all worked out for you.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 05:20:14 AM »
Just a few shades to light? It would be unacceptable here too. I am  happy it worked out for you and I hope it wasn't too much hassle. What roaster are you now considering?

Kind_Karma

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 05:21:54 AM »
     Not that I need to justify why I would want the color I ordered, but I will anyways :) I am planning on using the roaster at a farmers market. I wanted the roaster to match my logo/label/bags, etc. I also wanted it to match the company shirts. That way, when my coffee bags are seen at the local stores on the shelves, the color is another thing that will stand out in the customer's mind(in addition to awesome tasting coffee? :) So this roaster was not just going to be sitting in my garage or basement used as an expensive hobby toy, but visible to potential customers. Too bad the vendor did not offer to make things right after sharing my initial concerns because I am assuming lots of folks would have asked me about the machine(which could potentially mean more sales for MCR).Our farmers market is one of the top farmer markets in the country.
There is a 3rd wave coffee shop here that I cup with and they too have been waiting for my shipment because they were going to come out to my house to check it out since they are in the market for a low cost roaster for roast profiling to add to their vintage 40lb. machine.

The vendor said that they did not offer the free shipping or replacement to work with me and used the word "histrionic" as their reason. Here is the the definition I found for histrionic- "too emotional or dramatic". This is interesting for a business to use as a reason not to try to work with a customer after the business has a mix-up. Hopefully the reasons I have provided show that I was not being "histrionic", but rather had very particular reasons why I was concerned about the wrong color and the transformer that needed alteration.

Peace.

Kind_Karma

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2015, 05:27:07 AM »
NightFlight- I am not sure, will let my pro roaster buddies know I am looking again. So I will probably go for a used roaster or save up and go for a new US Roaster Corps. Like many of us here, I love coffee, especially espresso and roasting. Hopefully I can get something in the near future, so I can get back to the craft I love and spread yummy coffee to others, so that they can start their day with a positive experience :)

Thanks & Peace.

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
I know you are ready to roast and it is fairly easy to find used but getting the used can be difficult. I am in the same position and analysis paralysis can add to the problem. I am fairly sure that I want an ambex and I am also sure that I would make a short drive to get it. I am kicking myself on the YM2 that dengel picked up, and I am happy that dengel grabbed it. As soon as I have a few more dollars after January 1 or so; I am going to score a used YM2. A new USRC sample is too small too expensive and the North is a little too risky. I think a 2 lb. sonofresco may work and here I go with the paralysis again. Good luck in whichever way you go sir.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:47:38 AM by NightFlight »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
I never understood something about buying a new Chinese roaster. I mean the Huky buyers of which John ordered one, you just contact the people direct make the transaction and it shows up on your door. But why that company particularly when you can find ohh quite a few from Alibaba, Aliexpress and such, usually for less than the North roaster. Adding Mill City to the mix is basically inviting a middleman to the transaction...why?

500g roaster tj-066?
1k tj-067?

They are all the same there is no special we get our parts from Japan and Taiwan narrative that Mill city wants you to believe. Even if you were all about saving 1/3-1/2 the cost if a US made and supported or even a Turkish roaster, Spanish, Brazilian, etc.. Name your roaster. Just get it direct. If you don't like the electronics or switches, buy the ones you want.

Hey look Aliexpress has the Fotek controllers!!Fotek Temp controllers

My opinion is still that New commercial roasters are for suckers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:09:39 AM by Joe »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »
NightFlight- I am not sure, will let my pro roaster buddies know I am looking again. So I will probably go for a used roaster or save up and go for a new US Roaster Corps. Like many of us here, I love coffee, especially espresso and roasting. Hopefully I can get something in the near future, so I can get back to the craft I love and spread yummy coffee to others, so that they can start their day with a positive experience :)

Thanks & Peace.

The roasters guild might be a place to post your interest and to see if any are available. Or like I said earlier you can deal with China directly through Alibaba, Aliexpress and ignore the "we make our roasters magic" once they land in the US speeches.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »
Well look at it this way.
After you have a few very good fires in your roaster the tone of the paint will soot down and be just what you  ordered!  He was just trying to prod you into using it :D

Glad it all worked out for you.

Aaron

Plus all the lead in the paint isn't good for you anyways ;D