Author Topic: Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please  (Read 34844 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
I'm with you on buying used whenever practical, which in my book would be 99% of the time.  My Ambex came from a past GCBC member, and saved me almost $4K.

I'm also with you on getting exactly what I pay for.  Even if it means being histrionic.   ;D

That's a nice discount. I could consider an Ambex at that cut. I usually see Ambex and Dietrichs in Yellow or Orange. What color is yours  ;D? My Son is color deficient so he has always loved the color "Yellow" So I wouldn't send back a yellow one.

I was just looking at the old group buys and those US roasters are still under $5k right? Why consider China when that is on the table?
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2015, 11:29:48 AM »
It may have been closer to a $3.5K discount... I'm not real sure what the new ones were selling for four years ago, as I wouldn't have ever considered new.

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
Ahh you got the safety red like my sonofresco.....at the reduced discount...I'm out ;D

Offline Bobdole2000

• Standard User
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
I would prefer a good price over the right color any day myself.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »

And I'm sure the OP would too, if the sequence of his decisions and purchases would've allowed him to do so.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Bobdole2000

• Standard User
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »

And I'm sure the OP would too, if the sequence of his decisions and purchases would've allowed him to do so.

I didn't mean my comment as a critique of the OP in any way.  I meant it more as expressing my personal preference in tune with what you guys were talking about in the posts preceding mine.  I would have been quite unhappy if I was in the situation the OP was in.   

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
This craze of purchasing a bigger roaster makes me value my little old Behmor all the more.

I'm looking at getting a Huky, and I'm liking the simplicity of a small(er) purchase more every day. However, I know that isn't an option for you higher volume guys. :)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
This craze of purchasing a bigger roaster makes me value my little old Behmor all the more.

I'm looking at getting a Huky, and I'm liking the simplicity of a small(er) purchase more every day. However, I know that isn't an option for you higher volume guys. :)

Yeah I have the similar issues, although I personally would never consider a Behmor:

When I look at the Ambex, USRC, Dietrich, or other small commercial roasters...I look at the footprint, the piping, the space, etc.. If I had a small shop I would probably think differently. I guess for areas where there is a basement or some other logical place...OK Peter's looks like it works for his home. Otherwise it would be a special shed with gas piping...cha ching cha ching. The price of the roaster is just the beginning.

I look at the Huky, it looks somewhat hokey, almost toy-like but really seems to be over priced for what it is just under $2000 for that and it's made in China? (John is gonna punch me when he reads that.) But at least I can understand the Huky people I mean if the jump is $3000+ for around a 1-2lb roaster that is commercial quality I would definitely consider the Huky but quickly get a Sonofresco. The Huky has a really neat perforated drum though, I'm not sure why that concept isn't on every commercial drum roaster. 

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »

Yeah I have the similar issues, although I personally would never consider a Behmor:

When I look at the Ambex, USRC, Dietrich, or other small commercial roasters...I look at the footprint, the piping, the space, etc.. If I had a small shop I would probably think differently. I guess for areas where there is a basement or some other logical place...OK Peter's looks like it works for his home. Otherwise it would be a special shed with gas piping...cha ching cha ching. The price of the roaster is just the beginning.

I look at the Huky, it looks somewhat hokey, almost toy-like but really seems to be over priced for what it is just under $2000 for that and it's made in China? (John is gonna punch me when he reads that.) But at least I can understand the Huky people I mean if the jump is $3000+ for around a 1-2lb roaster that is commercial quality I would definitely consider the Huky but quickly get a Sonofresco. The Huky has a really neat perforated drum though, I'm not sure why that concept isn't on every commercial drum roaster.

I like the Sonofresco, but finding them used seems to be a challenge. Not everything made in China is garbage. Some quality goods come from there. It is just hard to root through the garbage. For instance Apple contains Chinese parts and their products are good quality (for the most part).

This is probably what makes Mill City Roaster's North roaster so desirable over going to Alibaba/express. It is an American company vouching for the quality, like many have done for the Huky.

I think the Behmor is a great start into the roasting world, low price for someone that isn't sure if roasting is for them. However, I agree it leaves ALOT to be desired, primarily due to the LONG cool times. >:(

Abqbomb

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
Interesting discussion!  Seeing Peter's nice setup brought a question to mind.  For those of you who roast at home, whether business or personal, or a combination of both, has anyone run into any issues with homeowner's associations or restrictive covenants that's caused problems?  Just curious and hopefully not too much of a highjack.
Chris

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
Correct not everything is total crap but there seems to be compromises.

So the Behmor -Joe Behm engineered his creation and then took his plans to China over several years ago iirc and had everything made and tested according to his plans. Albeit that it was based off a prototype of a modified Ronco rotisserie roaster. I have a lot of respect for someone who does this, although nowadays the trend is coming back to keeping stuff stateside. That is one example.

the Huky, found online by someone became popular on the various forums after a few people ordered it directly through the creator and were happy with it. We heard about it through Susan iirc They were bought direct I am assuming through Alibaba or something similar. There is a manual hand crank drum that looks similar on eBay. So far, this is a unicorn not really copied on aliexpress yet. You can still buy them direct I think (ask John for the contact info) unless you fly over tomorrow and do what MCR did. From what I understand the original creator didn't want to mass produce these roasters.

North roaster is still on Aliexpress and Alibaba, MCR became their US distributor, now north America. Steve or MCR did not develop a roaster they became the distributor for something that already existed. However there are what looks to be several competitors all with very similar roasters. Like I said it seems very homogenous, if buying through MCR makes you feel better than dealing with Aliexpress then yes your right, but now there are other American companies doing the drop ship game with the Chinese roasters so I'm not too sure why you would pick one over the other except for price. I mentioned a few and that is with a very mild google search.

My argument would be that your best reassurance and protection is still through your CC if that type of commerce seems scary. But it doesn't seem even necessary at the $5k price point, it looks like there are similar options in the good ole USA. The sonofresco brand New is still Cheaper than North, Buckeye, etc..

I guess the question is why go through MCR or Buckeye, or AWC? what's the hook?

All are available through eBay also.- just saw the MCR North roaster. I looked on the feedback they must've just started selling these on eBay because there isn't any feedback for the roasters on their profile.
There is the USRC the Toper cafemino, used Ambex for comparable price, not really sure what the hook is for a Chinese/Taiwanese roaster. I could understand if it was German or Japanese where their engineering and such would be something that would tip the scales.

eBay has plenty. It's unusually thin on used Sonofresco's though.
eBay commercial roaster
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:07:18 PM by Joe »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
Interesting discussion!  Seeing Peter's nice setup brought a question to mind.  For those of you who roast at home, whether business or personal, or a combination of both, has anyone run into any issues with homeowner's associations or restrictive covenants that's caused problems?  Just curious and hopefully not too much of a highjack.
Chris

I know Chris did. He had to sell me his Sonofresco cause of it. (Townhouse hoa). He also had to sell his weber smokey mountain I didn't get that :( but he now has a BGE.

If your home is not in a PUD, Condo, HOA situation then CC&R's, local zoning come into play. Usually a lb or less you won't run into any problems but I have heard that some local zoning in urban areas requires afterburners on low volume 5lb roasters and permit issues as well.

Not to mention that you should disclose to your home insurance your situation as well.

Abqbomb

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the information Joe.  Good points too on the insurance.  I was thinking with all the potential issues, that some day when I retire, I'll set up the mobile lab roaster in an RV and drive out to the desert to "cook", Breaking Bad style  ;D

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the information Joe.  Good points too on the insurance.  I was thinking with all the potential issues, that some day when I retire, I'll set up the mobile lab roaster in an RV and drive out to the desert to "cook", Breaking Bad style  ;D

hahahaha..That's funny. Get the mobile Pizza oven too and make a fun trip out of it.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
I can vouch for the Taiwan built Yang-Chia Machine Works machines; mine has been flawless since 2011; the 1K they make has been in production since 1999 and it's stupid easy to roast on. Cast iron drums precisely machined, fine adjustable air valve, adjustable drum speed, separate bean cooler with fan and stirrer. So the features are top notch; not some knock off, look alike.

Since then I've had a chance to see the USRC one pounder and SF1; between those two I like the USRC best. Too bad the group buy west south, that was an opportunity to get one in your choice of color. ;)

If someone wanted a Feima roaster from BellaTaiwan, they speak English and are totally trustworthy. But you would have to pay for the roaster in full, wire transfer, no PayPal. Bella arranges shipping, the little ones can go air all the rest by sea. You just have to contact an agent before the cargo leave port; and the LCL consolidator will stay in touch with you. Best to pick it up at the closest port yourself, shipping charges cover Taiwan to closest US port city.

Like I said, Mill City takes care of all of work involved in selecting and importing a small roaster; although it's not that difficult to do providing one does their homework. They have a budget 500g roaster in the works that's going to slot in between the Huky and Mini500, USRC, SF1.