Author Topic: Travel espresso gear. Minipresso review  (Read 7969 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Travel espresso gear. Minipresso review
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
I was able to score a couple travel espresso machines. My first review will be of the minipresso gr by wacaco. I actually really like this travel espresso maker for a few reasons. One it's small, light, everything fits inside of it much better than say an aeropress. In fact I would recommend this hands down over an aeropress in every aspect. The espresso that comes out is nice however definitely a single shot amount is more appropriate.

The cons: it's very plastic, I assume durability will not be great. Price is seen around $60-100 and I think that might be high for the materials. If I go hiking I would take this and my west german grinder and my titanium bowl set and my msr pocket rocket...I would have amazing espresso and caffeinated hikes.

Buy Yours here:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:07:20 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Abqbomb

Re: Travel espresso gear. Minipresso review
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »
Looking at their web site they've got an up sell item called the "tank" which says it's for pulling a double shot. Did you have one of those to try?  The pump reminds me of the one I use with my MSR whisper light stove, which I've had for 20 years. Of course it doesn't get that much use, but has been durable. What was the quality of the shot like?  If it's substantially better than the aeropress, might be worth a look?  On their web site the base unit is listed at $59. Look forward to seeing your other review.

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
Very cool.  I could see keeping one of these in the office even.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
Looking at their web site they've got an up sell item called the "tank" which says it's for pulling a double shot. Did you have one of those to try?  The pump reminds me of the one I use with my MSR whisper light stove, which I've had for 20 years. Of course it doesn't get that much use, but has been durable. What was the quality of the shot like?  If it's substantially better than the aeropress, might be worth a look?  On their web site the base unit is listed at $59. Look forward to seeing your other review.

The quality of the shot was compatible to what I was able to achieve with a lever prior to selling it. It has Crema but the way this machine delivers the hot water through the mini-puck reminds me more of the Saeco/ Starbuck pressurized Porta-filter. I did pull shots with the Ethiopian Derar Ela which is probably not fair to check for defects "Blueberry bomb" espresso is always good.

The quality of the cup is comparable to the Aeropress while I would say this is more in line with true Espresso, however because of its delivery model it is naturally compared- Hot water and manual pressure. Not quite espresso but not a moka pot either. The place where it pulls away from the Aeropress for me personally is the package of it. It is organized and fits very well, my main complaint of the aeropress is all of the parts and exhaustive cleaning. This cleans simply is not messy and is easily packed with everything including, cup + scooper(also works as a tamper) inside itself. So yes it's definitely better to me.

Where I would say the Aeropress has the advantage would be in the durability of the materials.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:44:31 AM by Joe »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »
This looks interesting. Not much of a heat sink, though, being plastic.

Funny thing, even though I have a LaPavoni Lever, I seem to actually use a handheld Mypressi Twist more than anything for shots these days. I have pulled incredible shots on the lever, but the Twist seems to be more consistent, and quicker to prep and clean up.   :-[  Too bad they don't make em anymore. I have two, and usually keep an eye out for used ones. 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »
This looks interesting. Not much of a heat sink, though, being plastic.

Funny thing, even though I have a LaPavoni Lever, I seem to actually use a handheld Mypressi Twist more than anything for shots these days. I have pulled incredible shots on the lever, but the Twist seems to be more consistent, and quicker to prep and clean up.   :-[  Too bad they don't make em anymore. I have two, and usually keep an eye out for used ones.

The other one I am reviewing blows all of these out of the water, it is metal construction has a pump and is genius in it's design. I would pick it up over a Lever, but I am not a big Lever fan so that isn't saying much. The niche that this occupies for me would be the same as a Aeropress- which isn't metal either, and has parts that don't seem to fit together as nice.

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
What's "The other one"?  Portaspresso Rossa?   :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:23:59 PM by Joe »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »
its a handpresso. those others look way too expensive,heavy,bulky for a travel espresso.

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 07:08:47 AM »
Joe - have you (or anyone else) reviewed the ROK manual espresso maker?  Doing a search on this site, I do not see many references to it in the past.  It does appear its concept was borrowed from an older design by another manufacturer?  Looks like it comes packaged in a neat tin container that would be easy to tote around.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:47:44 AM »
Joe - have you (or anyone else) reviewed the ROK manual espresso maker?  Doing a search on this site, I do not see many references to it in the past.  It does appear its concept was borrowed from an older design by another manufacturer?  Looks like it comes packaged in a neat tin container that would be easy to tote around.

Yeah I have seen that I think they have a grinder as well. The ROK seems to be marketed as a home espresso machine and priced as such $200+ for each piece. I guess it would be closer to the machines 9sBeans suggested, I really like the bike pump one but I wouldn't take that with me to Thailand...I would take the Minipresso or handpresso. So I guess the criteria for me is would i take it with me on an international flight.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:24:38 PM by Joe »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »
My friend came over and did some quick film reviews of the two travel espresso machines the video's will be posted soon. The key word is quick- I can't stand long videos of reviews that should be done in under 5 minutes- showing you how to open up your product... :-\

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
first video for GCBC staff reviews is up. learned a lot from the production and later videos will be better.

Offline rbk

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 06:46:22 AM »
Cool video! I have one of these little buggers and I've been having decent fun with it. You're dead on with the "not quite espresso, but closer than moka/aeropress", either way it makes a tasty shot of coffee. I've grown quite partial to using it with fruit bombs.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
I agree I have the Handipresso review coming shortly as well and while it is definitely closer to espresso and better built etc..It's also almost out of the backpackable and compact category. There are a few that even replace your lever machine and transport more easily that I am looking into reviewing. However I feel like this has a niche inside of a niche in how it packs to almost nothing includes a cup, the shape is convenient, and the weight of it isn't obnoxious. Because of that I would recommend it over an Aeropress any day.