Author Topic: Technivorm Moccamaster just died need 2 replace with $200 or less  (Read 12413 times)

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
My  Technivorm Moccamaster just died this morning. It will not power up. I have had it for about 7 years and sent it back to them several years ago for the same problem. I do not remember but I am thinking they repaired it for $75 but I had to pay shipping.

Part of the top of the reservoir is broke off (maid broke it) and if you fill up too much it will leak down on the stand. This is why it probably shorted out. That is why we do not want to send it back in and then wind up with the same problem.

Is there a drip coffee maker for less than $200 that gets water at 196 degrees and above that makes good coffee, like or similar to the TV?

Here is one on Amazon I am thinking about https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9FO1HK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1YAYQOJRJXFY&coliid=IQD00F7Q3YFQG&psc=1

Any suggestion or ideas?

Thanks
Tom

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
Re: Technivorm Moccamaster just died need 2 replace with $200 or less
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »
I had looked into coffee makers a few months ago and narrowed my choices down to the Bonavita and the Behmor Brazen Plus. They have both received good reviews. The Brazen costs more but the temperature is programmable.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
I have a Bonavita at mt FL condo and a TV at my northern home.  Not a significant difference in the coffee from either  for me.  Just be sure to get the stainless steel carafe on the Bonavita.  The glass cracks on the other carafe.
Bob Feuker

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
Ive heard mixed reviews on the Brazen.  The bonavita folks seem to like, and of course the Technivorn you know about.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

billsey

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
I've got a Brazen and it makes very, very good coffee. It takes a bit longer than a typical Mr. Coffee and makes only 1.2L max, but those are the only two issues I see with it.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
Done the Tech, Brazen, Bonavita. Ended up with a plain old Bunn, get the grind right you will barely tell the difference or maybe can't. if I have some very special beans $10.00+ a pound green, pour over or French press it, that's what I do.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
As long as you have the thermostat set right on the bunn then it will do just as well.  I think the price is about the same too.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
Bonavita is definitely #2, but you should scour eBay for a used technivorm. I am willing to review the Brazen if Joe Behm wants to send me one but until then I will judge it by what others have told me that have owned them and that would put the Bonavita #2.

[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
How sweet it is, Bunns are easy to repair, plenty of parts available, a cave man could fix one. Of course there are some that should never untie there shoes.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »
How sweet it is, Bunns are easy to repair, plenty of parts available, a cave man could fix one. Of course there are some that should never untie there shoes.

True, the old OCS-8 Newco's are nice as well. I personally like burn brewers. Most commercial brewers companies are going to put forth a good product even on their consumer units. However the Bonavita can be found at 2/3rds the cost of the Bunn brewers or at least within a shot of them and they are cheaper than the technivorm used. However I see slightly used Technivorms hovering around $125 on eBay frequently and that would be my choice.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »
I have had to repair the Bunns when I was in the Navy.  Very easy to fix, a few parts.  Keep the thing clean, descale it once in a while (yah right fat chance in the navy right hehe) and it should last years.

If not e bay they can often be found on craigs list or restaurant supply places, especially those who deal in used items, ie closed places and selling off their stuff.

One question I had about the Bunn, but never got around to testing.  I might next time im at the plant and remember.  It has a hot well where it keeps the water coffee ready hot.  You pour cold water in, and it pushes the hot water out, and then heats and holds that water for the next batch of coffee.  Some models have a light that comes on when the water is the right temp.

My question is, as the cold water forces the older hot water out,  how well does it keep it's heat through to the end of that brew cycle, there has to be some mixing Id think.  Don't get me wrong, the Bunn can make some awesome coffee if done up right and the coffee being ground right but how much does it cool down?

Aaron

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
Good question, I have put a TC at the spray head and got a solid 199 deg on my Bunn, good enough for me.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »
solid through the entire brew cycle?  Wow nice.  That would make the bunn right on level with the TV and others then for a 'good' coffee brewer.  Temperature and keeping it are two major items for a good cup so this is good news.  The only down side I can think of is, the Bunn's I have seen have a very wide basket, and put the water into them pretty quickly.  The water drains out pretty fast too.  Id be concerned that you might not get full extraction of the beans, you'd get areas of extraction where the water jets hit but not a good solid extract across the entire bean bed.   If one could possibly put a dam in there or a cup to make the area smaller or possibly restrict the water flow through some so it soaks a bit.     Well dammit, now I have to play with the bunn at work and see what I can get it to do.   They like my coffee anyways so I'll tell them to STFU and drink it, im paying for it :D

Aaron

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 07:08:08 AM »
Has anyone heard of the BrewTek ES-18?  It looks identical to the Newco OCS-12 and appears to use the same parts.  I found it originally at Essential Wonders Coffee Company for $199.99 but searching a little further I see Amazon has them for $114.99 plus $4.99 shipping and is fulfilled by OCS parts.  I've been pretty happy with my OCS-12 and it is still going strong back from when we got the group discount on them.

kp

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
We love our Bunn in the house and my Bloomfield 8542 Koffee King in the shop. Wondering about the Ninja coffee bar brewer, I see Samsclub has them on sale this coming Saturday for one day only for $99.00 reg $169.00, think I might give it a test drive just for S & G. has anybody heard anything about these things, after reading reviews it sure has allot of features.