Author Topic: Hottop or Behmor  (Read 8663 times)

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
Hottop or Behmor
« on: August 17, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »
The old Hottop (16 years old) is finally getting to the point of being retired.  So which one should I buy?  Price is a consideration!

(From Kissimmee, Florida)

Ps yes I moved with the wife
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

RobertL

Re: Hottop or Behmor
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
I say Hottop! Check the BST forum somebody is selling a gently used Hottop for a decent price. For a fellow Texan and nice guy like yourself they might even be willing to negotiate the price.  ;) 8)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:34:58 PM »
I havent used the modded / newer behmor so can't speak for how they are now.  The old ones were pretty robust.  Customer service on them, I have contacted customer service a few times in the past with some questions and never heard back from them, your mileage may differ.  The hot top, I honestly can't give any real input on since I have not used one.

The prices now, they both do about the same capacity, I think the Hot Top is probably a bit better equipped for back to back to back roasting over the Behmor.  The hot top has more maintenance though.  Back to price, those things compared, the Behmor is significantly cheaper.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

RobertL

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:45:36 PM »
Even if I weren't selling a Hottop right now I would still recommended it over the Behmor. The main reasons are the control, ability to monitor real roast temperatures and better cooling capability.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Also, it probably will have a better life expectancy in the long run as well when price is compared to years it lasts.  I honestly have not heard too many unhappy hot top owners, behmor now, that's another story.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
I have two Hottops that are not working in my basement. I tried trouble shooting both but I'm out of ideas at this point. I've changed the circuit board, and all the replaceable parts of both units, to no avail. They are dead. I have been using one of them for maybe ten years, and the other one for about 8 until they stopped working maybe two years ago. I have a Sonofresco that is as old as the first Hottop but is still running well. My two cents on the Hottop.

No experience with the Behmor.

Thanks.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
What models are the Hottops?

Flobo

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:07 AM »
If it were me and I wasn't in the market to spend on a HT I'd revisit SC/TO.

I saw a new turbo oven for sale in a Home Depot and immediately felt an urge to grab it even as I have no use for one....old habit.  8)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »
My vote is for the Behmor; roasts more coffee and 1/3 the price. Hottop and Quest M3 are close in price, Quest gets the nod between the two from what I've read from owners. Used Quests come up for sale ocassionally which can save if you get one that's not ragged out.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
I have used a Behmor for the last 18 months.  It is okay but has three/four critical shortcomings IMO:

1-No bean temp measurements
2-No airflow control
3-Cooling cooling cycle eliminates back to back roasts
4-Small batch size. Some may argue this but MY machine with MY power handles 227g batches the best

Plusses:
1-Can get decent roasts on it.
2-Small footprint makes it easy to store.
3-Reliable so far. 
4-Low cost means that it has more than paid for itself since i purchased it

If I were in a buying position I would go just a little further and buy a Huky or Quest. 

Amazon carries a Kaldi that is a possible mid-priced option but I don't hear much about them. 

Good luck. 

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 07:24:36 PM »

They are Hottop Basics, Ray. I hope to revive them at some point. I am also considering the Huky, which might require less maintenance than the Hottop.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline foreRB

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:06:18 PM »
I've been roasting for about 10 years, albeit on primitive DIY roasters (2). The first one was similar to the Behmor, but maybe before Behmor was available? Both drum roasters, but smoke, sound and smell was all I could go by. About a month ago I bought a Hottop and the coffee is infinitely more complex. Example: During the ramp to first crack I heard the fan come on for 10 seconds, checked the manual and it is designed to remove humidity from the drum???.Wow!. The batch sizes are smaller and the maintenance is more, but the coffee's worth it. 

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »

They are Hottop Basics, Ray. I hope to revive them at some point. I am also considering the Huky, which might require less maintenance than the Hottop.

I am cleaning and repairing an 8828 P. In case you don't know, the hottop website has invaluable information and great videos on troubleshooting and repairing the roaster. Good luck!