Author Topic: PVL Ponte Vecchio Lusso - Joe's thread.  (Read 12707 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: PVL Ponte Vecchio Lusso - Joe's thread.
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 11:22:35 PM »
Oh sure Joe, present him with eye candy for what he so dearly misses.

;D

I can stay up all night and post lots of pics...i have the coffee and the technology :D
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
I can stay up all night and post lots of pics...i have the coffee and the technology :D

Yeah, but can you transport him a nice freshly brewed cup in an instant? How about that technology?

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 11:30:17 PM »

Yeah, but can you transport him a nice freshly brewed cup in an instant? How about that technology?

;)

Nope, But I can describe the taste very well...hahaha.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
Yeah, you're killing the poor guy!!!

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 08:29:45 AM »
Man that must suck. Ill drink a latte for your loss. Seriously you should always have a cheap gaggia for if the unthinkable happens.
Actually I still have my old Gaggia Classic. I tried it a few times, and it just doesn't satisfy me. I can't get microfoam even half as good as the PVL.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 09:14:34 AM »
Man that must suck. Ill drink a latte for your loss. Seriously you should always have a cheap gaggia for if the unthinkable happens.
Actually I still have my old Gaggia Classic. I tried it a few times, and it just doesn't satisfy me. I can't get microfoam even half as good as the PVL.

Did you upgrade to the Silvia Wand? I can get better microfoam from the silvia one hole tip than the PVL but the PVL has some other advantages.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
I never did get around to doing the Sylvia upgrade. Each time I tried, the wand was unavailable for several months ...

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »
I never did get around to doing the Sylvia upgrade. Each time I tried, the wand was unavailable for several months ...

Get it, and get that espresso rocking until you can put your pvl back together.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
I have had to go without espresso a few times while waiting 3-5 months for PVL parts to arrive from Italy. Right now, I am waiting on replacement o-rings for the steam and water handles.

What are other PVL owners doing about this ... are there any sources other than 1st-line for spare parts? If the measurements are the same, seems I could use o-rings from a different espresso machine.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I don't know what I'd do if my rig was down for several months.  Probably buy a Gaggia or a La Pavoni as a holdover/backup.  If parts were that hard to come by and breakdowns were frequent I'd really have to think about continued ownership going forward. I've sold cars I loved that were a PITA. 

I use off the shelf parts when they are appropriate: grouphead gaskets, shower screens, o-rings, etc. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes long-term.  My rig shares parts with Bezerra models so there is a lot of overlap.  I am also pretty tight with one of the premier professional/commercial repair shops in the region so that helps a lot.  Otherwise I use factory parts when they are proprietary and can't be easily replaced.

My first stop for all types of little items are local hardware stores that have those rows of small parts in plastic boxes. 

Good luck.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
I have had to go without espresso a few times while waiting 3-5 months for PVL parts to arrive from Italy. Right now, I am waiting on replacement o-rings for the steam and water handles.

What are other PVL owners doing about this ... are there any sources other than 1st-line for spare parts? If the measurements are the same, seems I could use o-rings from a different espresso machine.

O-rings should be simple enough. We also have a great source for these types of parts just to the west of downtown outside of the perimeter. McMaster Carr has a huge selection of bolts, o-rings, valves etc.  just look up the material properties to be sure it works with the heat and is safe to use.

Hopefully, the machine can be used now that the piston seals have been replaced.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
O-rings should be simple enough. We also have a great source for these types of parts just to the west of downtown outside of the perimeter. McMaster Carr has a huge selection of bolts, o-rings, valves etc.  just look up the material properties to be sure it works with the heat and is safe to use.

Hopefully, the machine can be used now that the piston seals have been replaced.
Thank you SO much for your assistance with the seal replacement! I turned it on after lunch, and the PVL seems to be working flawlessly now.  :D ;D

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
Im glad to see that you got it all sorted out.  That's the thing, you don't HAVE to have company A's o ring in the thing,  oh they'd love you to believe that so you only buy it from them at insane prices, but typically general parts, as long as the replacement is the same material and dimensions, it will work.  As mentioned there are shops all over the place in most large cities, even smaller ones that sell this kind of stuff. 

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
Nice to see you posting, Jeremy!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you