Author Topic: Possible Brazen Plus and Technivorm Review  (Read 5619 times)

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
Possible Brazen Plus and Technivorm Review
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »

I purchased a Behmor Brazen Plus a few months ago and have been satisfied with it. But a couple of weeks ago a Technivorm was offered to me for an unbeatable price so I snatched it up. I am in the process of running some Cleancaf through it and possibly some Dezcal. After I make a few pots with it, I am thinking of doing a review of the two machines and possibly a comparison. Since I am not a pro reviewer, I could use some help. Does anyone have questions or points of interest that I sholud address in the review? Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:26:38 PM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Possible Brazen Plus and Technivorm Review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:24:40 PM »
How easy does it pour, does it dribble when you pour, how well does it hold the heat, what temp does it get up to, can you control coffee flow out, can you 'turn off' flow to remove pot to pour half done etc etc.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
I'd like to add ... can you set a specific temperature on the unit, how long to infuse the coffee with water (does this very with the amount of coffee ground in coffee filter), how does it compare to the Behmor Plus?

Thanks Ray.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:22:16 AM »
Just to throw in a correction.
I think the Behmor is the roaster and the Brazen is the coffee pot.  We mixed them up a bit.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

johnny4lsu

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:26:03 AM »
Just to throw in a correction.
I think the Behmor is the roaster and the Brazen is the coffee pot.  We mixed them up a bit.

Aaron
The brewer is the Behmor Brazen Plus

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:24 AM »
Yeah. Sorry. I left out "Brazen" when I posted. Corrected the post. My excuse is that I had not had any coffee for over 5 hours. ;D

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »
Good suggestions. Any other ideas?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
You might consider measuring the TV's water temp, then adjusting the Brazen to match it, just to remove that variable.  You may also test them both with a lighter roast as well as a darker roast.  And of course, get them brewing at the same time so you can sip from one cup and then the other; if you brew a pot in one, drink a cup, and then brew with the other, it will make it more difficult to A/B their output.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
If you could take and IR and NMR spectrum of the dissolved compounds we could further analyze the data properly. Additionally, some liquid chromatography could be employed to further resolve the differing compound and their concentrations. Speaking of concentrations, please use an internal control so this can be extrapolated to other brewers......

Hahaha, completely kidding. I find that the acidity or brightness of the coffee changes when there is not even distribution of the water across the grounds (among other things). My vote would be for comparing the quality of the cups, with a some focus on acidity.

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
I was just going to use a micro encabulator.

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
I was just going to use a micro encabulator.

Man that's last year's tech. You should really upgrade to the nano-turbo-encabulator.... Some of us actually care about coffee, gosh!  ::)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »
Both of you are just so 2k ish geez.  Just hire the borg to analyze it and report back the data.  Better yet, say it's political leaning one way or the other, and the other sides party will pick apart any and every tiny flaw in it for you :)

Aaron

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
The complaint's I had heard about the brazen were more or less due to it's susceptibility to cracking at the bases, and something with it clogging frequently. I will have to ask Chris again, but that was what i remembered his complaints centered around. He gave it a big thumbs down to me personally.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 08:48:15 PM »
You might consider measuring the TV's water temp, then adjusting the Brazen to match it, just to remove that variable.  You may also test them both with a lighter roast as well as a darker roast.  And of course, get them brewing at the same time so you can sip from one cup and then the other; if you brew a pot in one, drink a cup, and then brew with the other, it will make it more difficult to A/B their output.

Yes and use a common filter i.e. white Paper or frieling gold, etc.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
Both of you are just so 2k ish geez.  Just hire the borg to analyze it and report back the data.  Better yet, say it's political leaning one way or the other, and the other sides party will pick apart any and every tiny flaw in it for you :)

Aaron

Technivorm 2016.

I heard he wasn't even born here......

Better than Behmor, he just ships our jobs to China.

So much satire possible. I love it. ;D