Author Topic: Bonavita product reviews coming  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Bonavita product reviews coming
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
I was notified by Bonavita that they will be sending me two of their products for Admin review. One will be a Brewer and the Other will be an electric gooseneck kettle. I have a couple other products from other vendors coming in as well but this should make a nice review. I have also contacted Bonavita about getting a GCBC group buy discount. Hopefully we can get a group buy discount similar to what we enjoyed with Newco Brewers many years ago.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
Re: Bonavita product reviews coming
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
I’m all ears.

The Bonavita BV1900TS has been on my watch list for longer than 3 years. The only reason I haven’t owned one is I don’t NEED one, yet. ;)  Comparing to the Technivorm, one concern of Bonavita is its sporadic reported durability issue. Not sure if the Admin review ownership period is sufficient to compare the build quality.

The MSRP of BV1900TS is $180, but I have seen the price tag going down as low as $131.24 on Amazon (currently $145.15). 

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »
I love my variable temp Bonavita kettle and am a huge fan of their customer service. I look forward to your reviews.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 01:22:21 AM »
Yeah I will definitely be putting this on a long term review along with initial impressions. Full disclosure I have owned a bonavita stove top kettle and a bonavita 1800th both of which I loved and more than out performed my expectations and their price. So I am with Alan on this and hopefully these don't change my opinion.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »
You go Joe!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »
Im going to be getting a new brewer soon.  I am curious to see what you have to say.

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
Very interested as well.   I went through pair of Bonavita BV1900s.  Both had failed heating elements.  The first was pretty caked-up with hard water carbonates (I blame myself).  The second - was well handled and had only a little build-up.  So I'll probably want to see the high-mileage reports, but they made a great cup.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »
Items Arrived today. I will be making my reviews shortly. I'll also be filming the reviews for the Youtube channel etc.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
So while I have been waiting for my coffee Area to be clean enough to do a proper video review. I have been using both products. This couldn't have come at a better time for me as my Technivorm moccamaster was sent in for repairs which ended up costing me $25 in shipping charges. So far in the several years I have been using Bonavita products I have yet to incur a penny of charges, not that there hasn't been small issues but as far as customer support goes they are truly second to none. I place them higher than Technivorm for sure and we'll see over the long run but they are definitely better than even Baratza for me at this point, which is in some elite company.

On the Brewer some notes in the 2 days and two party's it's been used;

1. They redesigned the lid that screws on after the brew cycle. it is thicker and seems to have a different feel when you depress the plunger to pour contrasting from my old 1800 TH. I am thinking this was designed better to retain heat longer. Typically I am not a fan of this design. I prefer the Newco, and Tecnivorm style of pass through lid that allows for pouring without removing brew baskets, and screwing on a separate lid. This brewer would be perfect to me if they could solve this and it would then definitely be a technivorm Killer aside form the better customer service.

2. the on/off button is simpler and simply works better. The on/off button on the older brewers was inconsistent but it seemed to be a robust design. This switch seems more like something you could pick up at Fry's electronics or something but more importantly it has been working flawlessly in the limited time i have used it.

3. The basket is flat bottom. i personally prefer the cone shape, I am not sure why it is an aesthetic thing for me. But it also seems to be on the better brewers. If they had a choice that would be great. I can see how this could solve a better use of space issue or maybe a speed of brewing issue, but if that is the case then it should also result in a thermal lid that doesn't need to be installed separately.

4. The water tank looks even more like a technivorm on the newer models. It's a good thing I like the look of the transparent tube.

5. They still come with a sample of descaling powder - I like this.

Lastly I am not sure why Melitta decided to have these brewers and products rebadged "Bonavita" it has somewhat created it's own culture like "Lexus" did when it came out. But Melitta I think is a better brand name recognition, I would have like Melitta to stay.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:50:25 PM by Joe »