Author Topic: sample roasting - air or drum?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
sample roasting - air or drum?
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »
Might have a few takers on this topic.

I roasted for years on a Bread Machine Heat Gun setup. 1lbs at a time. Got really good with Roastlogger etc.

Now I'm at a commercial setting, where we roast 40lbs at a time on a Diedrich IR-24 (also have an ir12)

Our "sample roaster" is a Quest M3.

I have ZERO experience on the Quest.

My question is:
Would it be better in my new drum roasting setup to learn how to do the Quest really well, or see about setting up my BMHG from home to use as a sample/small batch roaster.
Are the flavors that different that I'd have to modify a lot?

Just trying to get some basic info, and figure out if it's worth setting up my BMHG at work now that I'm not using it at home.

Thanks!!!
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: sample roasting - air or drum?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »
My opinion; there might be some difference between your "sample roasters" outputs, but not enough that I'd worry about it.  If a sample is good out of either one, you'll know it, and if it's a dog you'll know that too.  IOW, you may be overthinking it.

If it'll help you sleep better at night, just keep roasting samples in your old/familiar setup, and then start practicing with the Quest until you think you know it equally well.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
I think the Quest is going to be better, with the small charge weight. You should have enough sample for two batches. Sample roasters are going to vary from one roastery to another; just part of the learning curve for a pro.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
The fight over  fluid bed vs drum roasted is about as old as the Ford .vs. Chevy gibberish.
I have used both and have gotten great roasts off each.  I don't notice a huge difference between the two.  Then again, can you use ONE roaster, do two batches on it, and be super anal and honestly tell me that they both taste exactly the same?.... WITHOUT lying?

Whatever machine you plan on using, learn to master it.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:50:46 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I'm still learning drum roasting, after having used the BMHG for years. I'm around 7 months in now and am starting to get better. Seems my 1st crack to call is very fast (like 15% rao max on Roastlogger) So trying to improve that but found out that our gas supply is a tad lacking so that's being worked on as well.

Thanks again for the encouragement on the sample roasting.
enjoy coffee on your own terms!