Author Topic: Bullet R1  (Read 23605 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Bullet R1
« on: October 27, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
This forum has been awfully quiet, lately, which is really sad.  I started my roasting many, many years ago with this group, and am grateful for all the experience and friendship.  I just finished reading the thread on the North roaster from MCR, and found out that, yes, B|J did go off to other things, and that Peter has finally graduated from DB/HG to MUCH bigger toys.  Good for you, Peter!

So, just to keep things alive a little longer: I pulled the trigger in the last days of the Bullet R1 pre-order.  After several delays, the Bullets finally started flying (well, actually, shipping), but I ordered the 120v version.  Then, I elected to wait for the improved heat sink.  Then, they ran out of other parts.  Now, I am still waiting, but that is fine.  I knew there was a certain risk in buying something that did not even exist, yet.  In the end, I suspect that I will get a great roaster -- and it comes in only one color.

I tried breaking out the old CaffeRosto, and ran that for a few batches, but finally put it away after wasting some perfectly good beans.  I now am almost to a free bag of beans from Temple.  Hopefully, that free bag will be my last bag of commercial (although really quite excellent) coffee, and I will be roasting 100g-1kg batches of GCBC coffee, again!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Bullet R1
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
Keep us posted, Yasbeans!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
Yes, I'd be interested too.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
I've had a new 220v Bullet for over a month now but have been working so much overtime I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  :-\

kp

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »
For shame!

A Bullet is a terrible thing to waste.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »
Shipped on the same day as my L1 and E8!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
I will be really interested to read some hands-on experience with the 120 volt version.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »
I've had a new 220v Bullet for over a month now but have been working so much overtime I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  :-\

kp

Rodney is that thing kicking butt? It looks really cool from the videos I have seen.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
It's out of the box now but just sitting on display.  When I get to the point where I'm not working 7 days a week, I'll give it a spin.  Got a Behmor Plus that's sitting in the box waiting it's turn also.   ::)

kp

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
Geez Rodney :-/ what the heck? You and John must be related.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:27:33 AM »
I feel for you guys, I done that crap earlier in the year,  the 7 - 12+'s for a few months.  When you do finally get some free time, that coffee will taste all the much better for it I'm sure.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »
When you work for an electric utility there can be long periods of OT as some of you on this site know.  Retirement is within 6 months so it is good to stash some cash before going.
As far as the Bullet, I am a long time Behmor user and have a source for getting them at a very good price.  I still have one of the first ones that came out with many more in between.  I remember going to Joe's house in San Diego and watching him roast a batch on a prototype in his kitchen  before they hit the market.  They suit me well so there's a slight possibility I may sell the Bullet before I try it as it would then still be in new condition.

kp

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:45:15 PM »
When you work for an electric utility there can be long periods of OT as some of you on this site know.  Retirement is within 6 months so it is good to stash some cash before going.
As far as the Bullet, I am a long time Behmor user and have a source for getting them at a very good price.  I still have one of the first ones that came out with many more in between.  I remember going to Joe's house in San Diego and watching him roast a batch on a prototype in his kitchen  before they hit the market.  They suit me well so there's a slight possibility I may sell the Bullet before I try it as it would then still be in new condition.

kp

I used to work in Fiber optics for quite some time. A lot of it is on High power electric poles etc. those were the days of 70+ hour weeks. = no fun.

Offline bengreens

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »
I also pulled the trigger in the last month or two of Bullet pre-ordering, and opted for the improved heat sink, and suffered the long wait. My 110V R-1 arrived earlier this month and I've done 6 roasts on it so far--4 to season the drum and as general shakedowns, and 2 for realsies.

There were some initial difficulties in the seasoning roasts (all of them 700-gram affairs), including the falling out of one of the screws holding the drum motor to its mount, but once I got that back on (using Loc-Tite on both screws and in a couple of other spots as well) and swapped out the spacer shim on the front of the drum axle for the thinnest one available, things went much better.

I've been roasting by ear/eye/display readouts as I don't have a Windows machine to run the Aillio software, and there has been a LOT of information to try and absorb on the Facebook discussion group. The first two keeper roasts (both 600g) came out lighter than I prefer, and still need a day or two more of rest, but this morning I blended some of each with a bit of Bajawa Ngura (thanks, Peter!) roasted 3 weeks ago on the Swissmar and made a very passable pot for myself and houseguests.

Can't wait to see how they are on more rest, and unblended.

I'm really loving the Bullet and am excited at the prospect of mastering it. Will try to post more-comprehensive notes going forward. 

Furious George

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Glad to hear it's working out, and thanks for the input!

I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago.  Now i have to wait to get my greasy little hands on it.

Keep us posted on how it's going!