Author Topic: Technivorm KB-741-AO brewer review  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Technivorm KB-741-AO brewer review
« on: November 01, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »

Get yours here:

Joe's favorite is here:

The long awaited technivorm review
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:59:42 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Technivorm brewer review coming
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
I don't have a thermo carafe on my TV just the standard 10 cup pot.  I wonder if I can put a thermo on there?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
If yours is like this one I just recieved, then...no.  :(. It would have a hot plate. My thermal carafe technivorm had a switch to know when it's in place and no hot plate.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
Mine has two switches on it, I believe you can turn the hot plate off on it.  I'll have to read up on it again.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 11:09:44 PM »
Mine has two switches on it, I believe you can turn the hot plate off on it.  I'll have to read up on it again.

Aaron

If I had the glass carafe one I don't think I would upgrade. It looks really classic and is a fine brewer. The one they sent me had a minor problem with the power switch, a quick contact and they are getting this taken care of ASAP, which is reminding me of the customer service I received with the Bonavita.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
Re: Technivorm KB-741-AO brewer review
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
FYI, this was sent along to me via email by my contact at Technivorm.
1.       Technivorm is the manufacturer of original, authentic, premium quality Moccamaster coffee brewers and grinders. All Moccamaster products are handmade in the heart of The Netherlands and granted the European Coffee Brewing Center's (ECBC) Seal of Approval, meeting their strict quality guidelines, and certified by the Specialty Coffee Associations of America and Europe (SCAA/SCAE).
2.       Moccamasters incorporate a unique, copper boiling element that rapidly heats water to control brewing temperature between 196 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit which is important for coffee soluble extraction, then the copper boiling element automatically switches off when the water reservoir is empty.
3.       A precise coffee-water saturation time (4-6 minutes), and an independent 2-phase hot-plate element that maintains the correct holding temperature of 175 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit for 100 minutes (although we recommend consumption within 30-minutes)
4.       The KB we are sending you will have a Manual drip stop brew-basket unlike your KBGT which has an Auto drip-stop brew-basket. The Manual drip stop brew-basket is extremely popular in the coffee community and you will see that it has three settings. These settings are:
a.       Open: Which is designed for normal, full 10-Cup brewing.
b.       Partial Open: This slows down the coffee/water saturation time (drain process), which allows the coffee to steep longer for partial carafe coffee brewing. This method is recommended when you start to brew less than 6 cups to help insure that the coffee you are brewing is meeting the strict quality guidelines set forth by the Specialty Coffee Associations of America (SCAA).
c.       Closed: Is meant for emptying the basket at the end of the brew cycle and NOT for pause and pour. Since the entire cycle only takes less than 6 minutes, we recommend waiting until the full cycle is complete to assure Golden Cup quality perfection in every cup.
5.       A pre-immersion drip-style system ensures the perfect coffee bloom, produced by an ultra–precise, natural pulse action.
6.       Ideal water saturation time to maximize coffee complexity, flavor and aroma – Achieved thru a cone shaped brew-basket design that regulates a 4 to 6 minute steep.
7.       Made with durable metal housings and BPA/BPS/BPF & Phthalate free plastics.
8.       Removable parts essential for long-term maintenance and replacement.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
The mochamaster is the one I have and I love it.
The time to run the water thru it is SIGNIFICANTLY tied to cold water temperature.
If you pour water in it from an office cooler, it will take a bit longer to perk thru.
If you put warm / hot water in it it will run it thru in 2 minutes or so,  yes it can be FAST.

What I was doing with mine is, Id close the spout in the bottom, let it fill with water and use a spoon to stir / turn the coffee grounds over, when the water got close to the top, Id open the spout and let it drain into the pot, close it, let it fill and stir / turn again, and do this for the entire brew cycle.  The coffee I got out was phenomenal.

I also found that by doing it this way I could use about 20 percent less grounds for the same full flavor and strength as if I just left it alone to brew.  Running a slightly finer grind can help with this as well without really altering / embittering / brightening the flavor as well.

Aaron

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
The video is up now

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »
I saw your video review of the Technivorm Joe. You left some doubt of which brewer you preferred vis a vis Technivorm and Bonavita.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
I saw your video review of the Technivorm Joe. You left some doubt of which brewer you preferred vis a vis Technivorm and Bonavita.

;)

Money no object?- the Technivorm is better. Bang for the buck? Bonavita. Both have excellent customer service but the edge goes to Bonavita, for now, on that one. So it's a complicated question and answer. i like to let people know what I like but I realize there are many considerations for everyone.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 12:33:25 AM »
Money no object?- the Technivorm is better. Bang for the buck? Bonavita. Both have excellent customer service but the edge goes to Bonavita, for now, on that one. So it's a complicated question and answer. i like to let people know what I like but I realize there are many considerations for everyone.

Yeah, I cannot disagree with that choice. I had a cup of coffee served to me from my brother in law. I think it was a Charbucks blend and he brewed it with a regular coffee brewer and blade grinder. I let him know in no uncertain terms I did not like it.

I informed him about good coffee brewers like the Technivorm and the importance of using a conical burr grinder so that the grind does not get burned. Next time I went over he had purchased a conical burr grinder and a Technivorm. He brewed the same coffee he always brews. This time I liked it, alot!

I have neither the Technivorm of the Bonavita. For now I have a Tim Hortons/Bunn. It brews at 199-200 degrees. By far the best coffee brewer I've ever owned.

:)

lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »
Well if you are smart enough to be following this thread you can take advantage of a special offer I was made aware of for GCBC members;

This was from the sales representative I was speaking with. I asked about a discount code for GCBC members and they can't provide one at the moment but they did reply with this nice info:  "We are offering brewers that either were demo models or arrived to us in damaged boxes. We have had our technicians inspect each brewer to ensure that they are as good as new. Regularly these brewers retail at $300-$319. However, if they call us directly at 855-662-2200 they can purchase these brewers at $199 while supplies last.

These brewers are the Polished Silver KBGT and the Polished Silver KBG."

So please mention that you heard about this at GCBC- Green coffee buying club and that will hopefully allow for us to secure a nice discount for future brewers.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
Good job Joe!

Nice saving on the Technivorm.

:)
lp, 7-Ski