Author Topic: Baratza Sette 270 W grinder Review  (Read 28244 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Baratza Sette 270 W grinder Review coming soon
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »
Give her hell Joe!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Baratza Sette 270 W grinder Review coming soon
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
Give her hell Joe!

The review is up!
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline javagonzo

• Distributor
Re: Baratza Sette 270 W grinder Review
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
Great review, Joe!
Preserve wildlife.... pickle a squirrel.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
Thanks! hopefully we can make this a regular occurrence and get some of the new coffee products coming out.

Offline chuckmartin

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
Great job, Joe.

One clarification: You said that there are pre-set settings, but you don't say whether switching between espresso grind and pour-over is repeatable. I've long wished I could replace the three grinders on my counter with one, but no grinder I have found can do espresso well without a lot of micro adjustment after being used for anything coarser. If this one will, I may be able to clear up some counter space!

Chuck

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
Great job, Joe.

One clarification: You said that there are pre-set settings, but you don't say whether switching between espresso grind and pour-over is repeatable. I've long wished I could replace the three grinders on my counter with one, but no grinder I have found can do espresso well without a lot of micro adjustment after being used for anything coarser. If this one will, I may be able to clear up some counter space!

Chuck

Pre Settings were for the weight of the grounds i.e. 13 grams, 21 grams etc..

Turning the macro Adjustments is easy enough however it does get tight when switching. and there are micro adjustments should you need to fine tune a grind.

I personally would keep a specific grinder for Drip or other brew methods and a grinder for espresso as dailing in an espresso grind could waste a lot of coffee. However I would use this grinder no problem as my sole grinder. The Mazzer Super Jolly I have was that grinder for me for a long time.

Offline bengreens

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
Great review, Joe!

And hmmmm . . . seeing as how I can't find my Fiorenzato T-80 (seriously; I know it's in this house somewhere, but I was away for a year taking care of my dad, and everything's moved around multiple times as housemates came and went), and I'm getting tired of cranking the Handground every morning (or using the crappy whirly Bosch, or Sunbeam, or Mr Coffee, or whatever it is; three or four of them around the house in any case) . . . eh, no.

Orphan Espresso was talking about a wall-mounted hand grinder. I would jump on a decent one in a hot second.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Sette grinder W or Non-W in your situation. The non W one is significantly cheaper and the main benefit of this grinder is it's Lichtenstein developed burrs.So I don't think you would be compromising at all with your current setup.

Offline Odissea

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
Thanks for the great review Joe. Excellent use of the clubs forum.

Offline wolf3

• Standard User
  • BC Greg
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Great review!! thank you

I have my eye on the Sette W and have been putting away a little each month for one.

All most there
Greg

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
Nice review and much appreciated Joe.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Excellent review Joe.
Some questions.
What is the retail on this going to be?
Are they offering any discount to GCBC members?
Possibility of a group buy here?  I could do something with that possibly.

Also, I love how fast it is.  Instead of me blowing 600 bucks for a bunn grinder for customers, I may use this for my commercial grinding when needed.  It would be only a pound or so at a time, not humping 15 lb loads through it.  Do you think it would stand to that fairly well or is it really just a 'home' coffee grinder?

Thanks
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Good review. Thanks!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
Thanks, Joe!

Great run through the grinder.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
Excellent review Joe.
Some questions.
1. What is the retail on this going to be?
2. Are they offering any discount to GCBC members?
3. Possibility of a group buy here?  I could do something with that possibly.

Also, I love how fast it is.  Instead of me blowing 600 bucks for a bunn grinder for customers, I may use this for my commercial grinding when needed. 
4. It would be only a pound or so at a time, not humping 15 lb loads through it.  Do you think it would stand to that fairly well or is it really just a 'home' coffee grinder?

Thanks
Aaron
I numbered your questions:

1. The retail on the W model with the built in scale is $499, non W model is like $375
2. Not at the moment but I am discussing this with their people to see if we can't pass along any savings or possibly get creative on an introductory package with their lower tiered grinders.
3. I am also exploring this possibility. However they pulled their grinders from retailers such as Costco in which they told me that they want their pricing standardized. However Baratza really likes our club so we might have a game plan coming.
4. It's actually around a half lb at a time with the hopper it has in place. I don't think it's designed for a commercial setting and so I do think it would be best in a home environment. However for a home grinder it's more than adequate. I think the issues would be that it might not handle large amounts of coffee run through it without pausing, and Baratza Customer service is legendary but I think they wouldn't like their home grinder being used in that fashion.

to be honest with you a used shopping center grinder like the ditting ones is a better choice for that duty. It would be a waste on the Baratza Sette 270 W and you can grab those for around $300 used on craigslist/ebay