Author Topic: OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review complete  (Read 14711 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review complete
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

Video Review is complete see above.

I just received a pour over brewer from OXO. I have been in discussion with them to review other products as well, hopefully we can check out the Barista Brain and see how that compares to the Bonavita, and Technivorm. For now I have a few products that compare very nicely to this product.

Link to Frieling gold one cupper
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:54:36 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
Re: OXO Good Grips pour over with Hot Water tank review coming shortly
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Video Review is upcoming but for now some key points - The name of the brewer is OXO Good Grips pour over. They cost $15 on Amazon. The concept is very similar to the Swiss Gold or Frieling One cupper (a $1 less than the OXO pour over through Amazon), however it is a lot less portable and requires separate filters. The design is much better than the one cupper as far as enough head room for the brewing process where as the one cupper is tight and subject to stalling. Also nice is the graphics and measurements to know what ratio's and such.

They have a video from OXO on youtube that doesn't have any speaking but a hipster kind of sound track in the background and a model doing the tasks to make the coffee. Obviously my process will be slightly different and better and will help you coax out the best brew possible with this coffee maker starting with not using a brown/natural fiber filter, but if you do at least pre wet the filter and warm the mug.

So keep a track on this thread video should be made in the next coming days. Also if anyone does buy the OXO brewer be sure to make them aware you heard about it on GCBC. It goes a long way towards letting companies know of our likes and dislikes of their products.

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
Re: OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review coming shortly
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
I'm guessing this thing is 100% plastic, not that I have a problem with plastic.  I was just wondering about heat retention of the parts during the brewing.  Maybe the brew cycle is so fast this isn't an issue.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
Re: OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review coming shortly
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
I'm guessing this thing is 100% plastic, not that I have a problem with plastic.  I was just wondering about heat retention of the parts during the brewing.  Maybe the brew cycle is so fast this isn't an issue.

Yes you would be correct in your assumption. However I am not sure if it is solid plastic or if it is a bit hollow for insulation, but it seems to hold heat well enough. Your other question about the brew cycle being so fast, is probably more accurate, I am not sure it matters. In my video review I explain how to make sure that the brew keeps as much of the temp as possible. I do want to point out that Plastic is used in every brew basket I am aware of for auto brewers and the Ceramic or Glass brew baskets are typically seen in pour over style brewers.

Video Review will be up in a few minutes.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review complete
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
I love my swiss golds.  I have given many of them away as gifts in the past, and am glad Freiling? is it took over the marketing of that.
I typically am not too much of a pour over guy, I have better things to do than have to play helicopter mom over a cup of coffee first thing in the morning.  The Pacoba method works plenty well for me.  (See, I can make up my own acronyms and words too !!  Pour And COme Back Afterwards)

This looks nice but I am NOT a paper guy.  I think the paper holds too many oils which changes the flavor of your coffee.  This is just my preference, it's not good or bad in any way, just me.  Not to mention it just a PITA to deal with filters etc.  I know some people think it's more easier to clean but you still have to run the entire thing under water... anyways.

Great review Joe and the price can't be beat really.

Im getting my sister into coffee here and she's taking an interest in the 'better' ways of doing things.  I may get her one to play with.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
It's a fair comparison between the two. Yes exactly I like your acronym. If you like paper filters - I do, or if you like swiss gold filters- I do, then that will probably shape your decision on this product. For me I like both but for convenience I think I personally would use the Freiling Gold one cupper more often. I do think there are benefits to both but cleaning the swiss gold is a bit more work where just tossing the filter in the compost is effortless, so if clean up is not your thing the OXO will make you happier.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 12:11:16 PM »
To be  honest Joe, I don't care WHAT brewer you use, over time the oils and fines will accumulate.  SG in the holes, others in the 'flow control devices' whatever you call them.  I strongly recommend that your brewing device be thrown in the ultrasonic cleaner at least once every few months.  You may think you are cleaning it even lightly scrubbing it, but when you see what comes out in the USC you will be amazed.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »
what ultrasonic cleaner would you recommend

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:27:58 PM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »
I have two actually,  I got an industrial one but those can be expensive for the average person.
I have also used extensively for my SG's prior to the big one,  one of the  harbor freight ones and it's worked very well actually.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

I noticed that the price went up a bit since I bought mine but it works well and can hold up to 3 at a time.

Aaron

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »
Also, since we are talking about cleaning coffee partses and stuffs.
Yes you can buy a little 4 oz can or whatever it is coffee pot cleaner for 6 bucks, or you can spend an extra 2 dollars and get the exact same chemical in a 6 pound jug in the pool section.  It is called PH Add of PH Up.  It's sodium carbonate.

Aaron

Offline tylerjarvis

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »
What roaster is that in the video?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
What roaster is that in the video?

Sonofresco

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
haha just realized the title screen somehow didn't save the changes before posting. Well I can change it now and wipe out the views or I can leave it...

I am leaning towards leaving it.

Perlandra

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
Joe, I have the Baratza grinder also. What setting did you use for the OXO pour over? Your video tells how much to use but never mentioned the grind type. Sounds interesting. I must get one! I like the Hario some times, but I do like that this has the cover to help keep heat in, plus the fact it distributes it more evenly instead of having to continue to pour in a circular motion.

Nanc

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
Joe, I have the Baratza grinder also. What setting did you use for the OXO pour over? Your video tells how much to use but never mentioned the grind type. Sounds interesting. I must get one! I like the Hario some times, but I do like that this has the cover to help keep heat in, plus the fact it distributes it more evenly instead of having to continue to pour in a circular motion.

Nanc

Hi Nancy,

Yeah I figured people would usually use whatever grinder they have but if you have a Sette W then I use a grind setting of 16(Macro) and E(fine). If you use any other grinders you will want your grind size about the size of sand.

I also have a Hario v60 which is great but yes you might really like the benefits this provides. If you can please mention our review when you purchase one. That would help let OXO know that our membership sees our reviews.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:26:23 PM by Joe »