Author Topic: OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review complete  (Read 14716 times)

Perlandra

Re: OXO Good Grips pour over with hot water tank review complete
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Well, I have several grinders Virtuoso and Baratza Forte/Steel. I'll try the 16E if I get it. Thanks for the info!

I will definitely mention how I heard about this.

Nancy

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
Well, I have several grinders Virtuoso and Baratza Forte/Steel. I'll try the 16E if I get it. Thanks for the info!

I will definitely mention how I heard about this.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy!

Nice Grinder on the Forte Steel! I'm not sure if the Sette and Forte have similar grinder settings. I know John has the Vario and his settings seem to be different. But the sand grain size should get you in the ballpark and you could adjust to your liking. I actually usually use my Mazzer and grind to approximate ratios. But for the review I find the Sette W is amazingly easy to get the amounts precise, so I went that route.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

roastingnerd

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
Aaron, sodium  carbonate is also known as washing soda.  It used to be in every supermarket; made by Arm & Hammer (of baking soda fame).

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »
roasting nerd, I know that, but would rather give the chemical name because I have seen in the past, what us old farts knew something of, they put a different ingredient etc up now, but call it the same thing.

That is all it is is washing soda.  I kind of wonder if baking soda, Sodium BiCarbonate would work too.

if you really wanted, I bet TSP would clean it up very nicely too but Id not want to recommend that because ingestion of any of that would not be a good thing.  On the same record, Lye would clean it up nice and spiffy too since it loves eating organics, but any metal and the lye could attack it fairly quickly... and again BAD BAD!! to ingest if you did not rinse super well.

Another point I was making but should have probably pointed out better was that,  they call it (insert snobbery here) COFFEE pot cleaner and mark the price up ten times.  Call it Pool Water Adjuster and it's cheap again.  Not that any normal person would use it in this quantity but you could order it bulk amounts, say 50 lb at a shot or a drum and it'd be dirt cheap.

Pretty much everyone has access to shopping malls / hardware stores / supercenters etc, so should be able to get the pool sized over the coffee snob sized and save several dollars.

If you are going to use it in an ultrasonic cleaner, you can clean other stuff in there as well.  Speaking of the swiss golds, I don't only do the basket but the hole thingie too, can get cloggy and this will clean that right up too.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

BoredMortician

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
Hey Joe,
Thanks for posting the review! It was very thorough and helpful.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
Hey Joe,
Thanks for posting the review! It was very thorough and helpful.

My pleasure. Thanks for watching.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »
Thanks Joe!

Great review.Thanks for taking the time to review this. I like it.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Perlandra

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »
Well, I did buy the OXO from Amazon. I actually tried to buy local first, but there was none to be found, even at Someone's In The Kitchen. First off, I only used 10 G of grounds, drip, that I use in my Keurig. Figured it would be enough for an 8 oz. mug. I found it was too weak for me. Played around with it a bit more and ended up grinding (using Virtuoso grinder) it at about a 16 and then used 14-15 grams. Interesting that the Keurig 2.0 uses less coffee than the OXO.

Also interesting was your take on the natural filters. How true... they smell horrible and taste terrible. I had always heard that the "natural" filter was better, so I had purchased a bunch at Sam's. I don't like them! Even after you have wet it thoroughly, you have that smell. Coffee was fine, but I may just throw the natural filters away. I do like the easy cleanup and I do like the fact that it "slowly" drips through the coffee grounds. Didn't time it, but will. May just use this at my Farmer's Market shows for samples of Japanese iced coffee this summer.

Have you ever tried the Bonavita pour-over? I was looking at that, too, but it's so expensive; probably due to the ceramic.

Thanks for the tip on this OXO. I know several who might be interested in it when they just want a one-cupper.

Nancy

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
I used the OXO grips pour over for a youth winter retreat this past weekend. It performed well. I definitely found it easier to work with than the freiling one-cupper, but I wasn't in a situation where the equipment space had to be small. Combined with some Amaro Gayo, white filters, and a west German hand mill....heaven.