Author Topic: DIY Roaster Kit  (Read 2990 times)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
DIY Roaster Kit
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
I'm going to be meeting with the designer/builder of the DIY Roaster Kit next week. He's got some interesting YouTube videos and a blog that's tedious to translate and understand.

https://youtu.be/GBAZ4FbAMoQ

Thinking this could be of interest to members if the price is reasonable; should be able to ship EMS air.

That's really all I know for now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:28:41 AM by hankua »

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
Re: DIY Roaster Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Please keep us posted.

Offline Bunkmil

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
Wow! I never heard of these DIY Roaster Kit.

Does he actually sell them ? How much ?

Looks like you can put the unit directly on an open flame burner. Is that correct ?

Also, are the rpm drum speed and airflow adjustable ?

Are digital BT and ET probes available to use Artisan ?

What about chaff ?

I'm looking to buy a 500g roaster so please report back if you have any more information.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:55:54 PM by Bunkmil »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:04:05 PM »
Saw the DIY in person yesterday starting out with the various pieces; then assembly on a table. All the parts are thick stainless steel and the drum comes in two variations; one with a lot of holes and the other with not so many. They call this direct fire and semi-hot; where the latter is usually solid. Why the second drum still has holes, I didn't ask although a solid one can be made.

The guy that builds these has sold @10 units and is doing it as a part time venture. Being a DIY kit makes it easy to take apart and modify as well. It weighs in at 15K, that's hefty compared to the other stainless home machines. Capacity is stated at 300g-800g, not sure if thats overly optimistic although I could check that out in the future.

Airflow is adjustable, speed is fixed although that's something could be modded. DIY comes with a dial thermometer and has a threaded port for an exhaust air thermocouple; artisan compatable after end used sets up their preferred system.

There is a chaff collection tray below the fan/screen/airflow assembly. Most all of the features can be seen on his youtube channel; where I first became aware last summer.

https://youtu.be/pKG2cWhZQ_8

Pricing is fair in my opinion running around $49,000nt (31/32nt-1usd) some options are going to be required such as the angled tryer and vent adaptor. Sonny has a charcoal adaptor for the machine thats really interesting and maybe I'll get a chance to observe a roast. Tasted one at the cafe and it was clean and not smoky.

I can probably help out with this if someone is interested. Sonny does not speak english, but can write; his girlfriend Phoebe is fluent in English. They have not shipped any overseas so far, but have confirmed it could go EMS air. They plan on getting set up with paypal for transactions.

DIY has ceramic insulation all around and can roast outdoors with just about any kind of gas burner; even a tiny camping jet. The charcoal adaptor/roasting is pretty unique; the shop owner (Coffee Play) has one in use.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
I wonder what burning charcoal would do to the flavor of the coffee?  That could give an interesting smokey flavor, especially for espresso's.  If it can do charcoal I wonder if it can do wool chips / pellets too?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »
Good question!
They start out burning wood charcoal in a small clay burner you might see in an Asian store; then transfer the hot coals to the removable tray. Maybe it would be possible to use the flavored coal or pellets?

Offline Bunkmil

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Thanks for providing some feedback.

I thought it might be cheaper than the Huky but it's in the same price range.

I'll wait for more reviews before comitting.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
This is a great idea. I am surprised this concept of flat packing a roaster build ins't happening more. I bet if they got the price down to $500 and smaller capacity this would be the go to home use roaster.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37