Author Topic: Fiorenzata Bricoletta  (Read 10251 times)

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
Fiorenzata Bricoletta
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
So I've been on the hunt for a while for a good used prosumer-level espresso machine. If I was closer to a mountain on the west coast, I'd be scooping up the deal on that Elektra that's been offered on this site. Anyways, I found a used Bricoletta plumbed in version with rotary pump locally for sale at a really good price and plan on driving to go see it in the next day or so. It's 12 years old and I will surely pop the hood to see what is looks like inside. Parts are readily available from 1st line for good price. There were some really good reviews of the machine on home barista but were a little dated so not much recent info on reliability. Has anybody had experience with this machine?
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »
I'm glad you found a nice used Fiorenzata Bricoletta. No, I have no experience with a Fiorenzata Bricoletta. I do know it has an E61 group. I do have experience with an Isomac Tea ll. This also is an E61 group. That in itself says a lot for the quality of the machine. You will get great espresso shots with it and you will be able to steam and pull shots at the same time.

You say that there were some really good reviews on Home Barista, but they were a little dated. Your machine is 12 years old. In my mind, those reviews directly speak to the quality of your "potential new espresso machine".

I'd say grab it. It will outlast you, should you decide to keep it that long.

My 2¢ worth.

:)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:40:47 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Yes, I think I will grab it, he's asking 525 OBO so even if it needs a little work, not much invested initially. He said he bought it at an auction of restaurant equipment and from the pics, in good shape externally but he didn't realize it had to be plumbed in so he's selling it. Would the rotary pump be able to pull water from a container to try it out or would line need to be pressurized? Also from the label, it's 110V, 2100 watts so its a pretty hefty machine. I do have 20 amp breakers in my kitchen so should be good to go there and am planning on tee off of my ice maker line for fridge to filter and then to machine.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
I believe you can draw water with the internal pump, but it will stress it, and it's not ideal.  A Flo-Jet is your best bet.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »
I believe you can draw water with the internal pump, but it will stress it, and it's not ideal.  A Flo-Jet is your best bet.
Yeah, I might just be better off waiting until I can plumb it properly before trying it out. The owner doesn't have a way to plumb it and I'm also concerned that he said when he bought it he turned it on to see if it works and probably ran it without water for a short time.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:34:17 AM »
I've seen Flo-jet systems for mobile applications where the machine was hooked to water jugs just in case that may be an option for you. 

I don't have experience with that machine but I know that my Livia has water sensors which cause the pump to quit if the water level gets too low. The heater won't cycle if there isn't enough water either.  Maybe similar system(s) are on that machine; I'd think they would be pretty common.

Just because there aren't current reviews doesn't mean the historic reviews are irrelevant.  New machines have been introduced and distributors/seller are often involved with some of the more popular websites so these get chatter/sales instead of other machines.  I don't think there have been any recent reviews on my rig for many, many years but it's still going strong after 12-13 years of daily use.   And I've had virtually no problems. 

I would check to make sure you can get things like shower screens, grouphead gaskets, water and steam valve replacement kits (o-rings, etc) as these are the normal wear items/ replacement parts.  There are only one or two places for me to get things but they are available and while not Amazon priced, they are reasonable given the lifespan. 

Make sure you have a great grinder to go with it and you'll have a solid setup for a long time.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
So I went ahead with this machine even though the pump would not come on, only a click. Based on what I saw after looking inside, I figured this one might be an easy fix. Got it home and separated the pump from the motor and the shaft on the pump would not turn but motor came on fine. Took a wrench to flat on shaft and tried to rotate and it was tight but broke it loose and reassembled. Now pump/motor work fine. Stuck water supply line in a jug of water and turned it on and it filled the hx with no problem. Actually think its overfilling since water is sputtering out of the vacuum breaker. Also the relief valve has also spewed a few times. I'm thinking the boiler is overfilling because when I pulled out the vacuum breaker to inspect and clean it, water was visible almost to top of hole. I also pulled the water level sensor to see if it was scaled up but it looked pretty clean. What would cause the overfilling and subsequent over pressurizing once up to full heat? Also,when activating the brew head lever, pressure on gauge shoots up in the red zone on gauge and relief valve activates. Sorry for the long ramble but this may hit a familiar note with someone. Should I start by pulling some descaler through the machine and let it set for a while and flush?

Abqbomb

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
Just a thought, but if you're using bottled water, it may have gone through reverse osmosis prior to bottling, which removes most, if not all mineral content. The water level sensors need some mineral content to function properly.  I use bottled for mine, but add back in a minor amount of minerals to keep flavor at an optimum and prevent the boiler from overfilling.
Chris

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »
You could just put a tiny bit of baking soda in the water. A 'tiny' amount,  or a teensy pinch of salt.  That would bring your conductivity back up.  For those who are into the Alkaline kick, the B soda satisfies that fad as well.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Yeah, my first attempt to check out the pump was with a bottle of distilled water I picked up at the store, probably a no-no. Then I just went with filtered water from home (3 cartridge system) so its probably okay. Right now I'm in the process of running descaler through the tank and plumbing. Pulled the mushroom from the top of the brew group and the scale there wasn't too bad so maybe this machine has hope...more to come.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
Update on my progress or lack thereof. Descale went well and waste water was only slightly greenish. Flushed with about 2 gallons of filtered water. Disassembled the group, cleaned it and reassembled. Tried brewing an espresso and got hardly any flow from portafilter and watched gauge go down and start climbing until tank overpressurized and blew pressure valve. Barely any espresso in cup. Don't see much need in going further until I can understand what is going on. Is the pstat bad? Is it "okay" to temporarily run this machine off a jug of water until I plumb it in and is this causing my problems? Machine steams fine and has plenty of hot water from water outlet. Any help appreciated

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
Are you certain the water level sensor is actually working.  You said it looks clean, but the symptoms tell me it's not functioning properly.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
No, not certain. Not sure if there is any test to check it out. I did disconnect it while descaling in order to completely fill boiler but not sure if that trick worked. Would a bad level sensor cause low pressure at brew head and pressure valve to release? I'm a newby to the HX machine scene so thanks for the help.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
Are you certain the water level sensor is actually working.  You said it looks clean, but the symptoms tell me it's not functioning properly.
So I did test the level sensor by disconnecting it while machine was powered on. When I did, boiler started filling and then I touched the wire back to the terminal and pump cycled off. Removed wire and pump cycled back on. Sensor working. Played around a little more last night but not getting enough pressure at group to pull a shot but pressure in boiler increases to overpressure point if lever left up because water continues to be added to boiler. Only a slight trickle of espresso in cup. Left machine on for over an hour and it comes up to temp and holds pressure, steams good, and dispenses hot water like it should. I also played around with pump pressure adjustment by increasing by half and then full turn CW but no noticeable difference at group. May do some more intrusive disassembly tonight to check for blockages. Thoughts?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
That's just weird that the water level sensor works, but somehow lets too much water into the boiler.

As for the group, it may not be a pressure issue, but a flow/volume issue.  Check the lines from the boiler to the group.