Author Topic: Buckeye coffee roasters  (Read 20658 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Buckeye coffee roasters
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
That may be true to some extent Joe, but does alibaba handle the customs, the import papers and all that stuff?  Some people don't want to deal with all that garbage and are happy to throw some extra $$ to someone else to handle all the 'middle man' stuff and just deliver my roaster worry free.  Here's my money, I want my roaster on my front porch.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
As far as I know it's an online transaction Like anything else. Alibaba is like eBay in Asia. Just as you can buy Chinese stuff on Amazon and eBay. I have ordered all kinds of knock off stuff through Aliexpress and Alibaba...no customs etc. The shipper uses their freight and whatever and charges you the agreed upon frieght.

They have epacket and such for smaller items..larger items use their company until it reaches the US then it switches to DHL or USPS etc..
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »
Oh that should work well then.  What if there is a problem with the package, are they as accommodating as ebay is as for resolution? 

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
To clarify my advice is to avoid Chinese "Wild West knock off" roasters and their resellers in the US. Taiwan has some cool roasters I think add a lot of value and uniqueness. As always I have no problems recommending Used roasters in the US or Legit commercial roasters such as Ambex, Sonofresco, Artisan etc...

At the amount of these Chinese roasters coming into US for households moving up from a Behmor and planning on selling to some "friends" I think there is going to be a huge glut of these types of roasters on the Used market in the near future. No need to rush to be the first to buy the knock off.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Oh that should work well then.  What if there is a problem with the package, are they as accommodating as ebay is as for resolution? 

Aaron

No, but you aren't buying this in cash. You use Paypal or a credit card and you should be covered. There was a guy  a few threads down who had an issue with the MCR North roaster and his Credit card stepped in to help get the issue resolved...kinda furthering the point that the credit card companies are the real sources for resolution and they do a great job. I feel like eBay actually makes the normal processes more difficult.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
That's true there IF the transaction is covered by their protection.   Sadly though, credit cards are great for the consumer but can really pork the vendor if the consumer is a lying POS.  I never did understand that, the vendor gets screwed way too often, eating so called bad transactions.  The company will come back two months later AFTER they initially approved the transaction and then say, oh the owner said card was stolen bla bla, and the seller is out the cash.  WTF?  Why don't you reimburse them, you sure charge them enough to use your crappy card.

I was kind of alluding to that, at least having a person in the US might make the process a bit easier in case of problems, but we have seen that this is not always true, you can get run through the Mill anywhere. 

Aaron

kaotep

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »
Alibaba is nothing more than just a trading platform. If you were interested in getting stuff there that is costly, I would suggest that you would get in touch with an imort broker and they'll handle all the paper work for you.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »
I have two suggestions:

1. Avoid Chinese roasters.
2. If you simply cannot avoid then I would suggest that you use a credit card dont worry about an import broker. Frieght is freight and you can chat with the vendors that allow for us transactions. Again #1 is a better option.

Aaron, the credit card companies nowadays look into the situation and make a judgement based on the facts of the matter. In the past you could do a chargeback fairly easily without even a question. But they have better policies in place that protect both parties from junk. However frankly speaking i would probably err on the consumer side on anything involving a chinese product.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »
Joe, Kao is correct; however some smaller and less expensive machines (Huky's) have escaped customs duties/taxes.

The 1K size needs to ship ocean freight, and there are US rules and Regs on importation. A freight forwarder should be able to handle the whole thing for somewhere between 600-800$ to your door. It's cheaper to pick it up yourself at the customs warehouse closest by.

Pricing is FOB, the one I saw was in USD, assuming they wanted it in bank funds (wire transfer).

And the 1K 2016 price was $2700 FOB, way less than the $5600 Taiwan 1K. Chinese labor and steel are cheap, plenty of closed state run industrys with machine tools; perfect for building "old school" design coffee roasters. I recently saw a video where the end user had to fix a few mistakes, and air fan speed controls have issues. (Mill City has re-designed theirs; good reason for having a damper)

The 1K Mill City and Buckeye have proven popular with the exploding Artisan coffee roasting movement happening; as starter machines. People are willing to pay the upcharge for convenience and piece of mind.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 08:07:27 AM »
exploding artisan movement? Sounds like a bunch of people with entrepreneurial aspirations reminds me of people buying a cheap dslr and becoming a "photographer" with a kit lens. Watch for the exploding chinese used artisan movement ;)

You described what i was suggesting although more detailed you can get it to your door if you want or you can get it cheaper at the terminal. $800 on top of the FOB price is significantly cheaper than the American resellers..even of necessary mods were required.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »
800 is cheaper than American resellers.  Of course, they need to profit too.  How much is their time and labor worth?  Not much to you obviously because you already know the drill, and how shipping works etc etc, but to others who do not have the knowledge you have, it apparently is worth that much.  Now throw in the fact that many of them have the product ready to ship in a day or two, the person gets it a week later, versus possibly having to wait a few months for it to get here from china.  What is that convenience worth to them?  With today's I want it NOW! generation, yep, the market is there for higher priced you can get it NOW stuff, and they don't care that it cost more.

You could also get a car cheaper by flying up to the toyota manufacturing plant and driving it home yourself, but many people would rather goto the local dealer... wow what's wrong with them?  Don't they know they can get it cheaper that way?

Aaron

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
 Valid points. Last i saw you have to wait at least a month for these resellers as well. Supposedly the benefit is that they've gone over the roaster before they ship it to you or your freight terminal, but as we have seen in the other thread that doesn't always happen well. Buying used makes sense in cars too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:08:27 AM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
Hey,  Pssst... I have a 12 Year old Saturn I'll sell you real cheap,  it's used so it's a deal for you.  I'll trade even up for your 4k roaster :D

Aaron

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
More like drive it off the lot and sell me your 12k mile car for a huge discount. I'll let you be the sucker that buys the new car ;)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 05:44:04 PM »
Artisan roasteries or small batch roasters are popping up all over the place, according to the news feeds I follow. I'd say a majority are using American built machines, but Mill City does have a slice of the pie.

Starting up one of these ventures is relatively low cost and can begin in a home or garage. Although it's a food product, there's no spoilage, refrigeration needed, or insects to worry about. Fresh roasted coffee tastes way better then stale coffee, and almost nobody is going to ask "what brand of coffee roaster do you use".

In the realm of the OP's general question, or at least my guess is: "how do the lower price Chinese 1K roasters compare, including the vendors".

Mill City's team deserves a lot of credit for what they've accomplished in a short period of time; including making improvements to the product line. That being said, Buckeye's roasters deserve a hard look despite they're hokey web site. Your buying a coffee roaster not a fashion accessory and need to compare feature/specifications.