Author Topic: Is Gene Cafe Worthwhile?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Is Gene Cafe Worthwhile?
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »
After yet another fire in my Behmor and the replacement drum falling apart and getting holes in it, I'm thinking of a new roaster. I'm limited to electric units and to around $500.

The Gene Cafe gets some decent reviews, but also lots of criticism. Can someone who owns or has owned one please share their opinion?

Thank you.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: Is Gene Cafe Worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
The heating element is weak and will fail, not sure what replacement costs now.

I took one apart, the wires are pretty thin.

I'd prefer a used Hottop over a new Gene.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »
Me too. Hard to find.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
If I had the miney I'd buy a Quest.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
HTs appear occasionally, M3s less frequently.  I'd suggest posting a WTB ad on various
boards, including this one. 

I had a spare collecting dust for a few years but did not want to part with it.  Then saw
a WTB ad and sent it away.  Shipping is insane now, $100 w/ my own packaging.

Offline R0N62

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
[font=comic sans ms
][/font]
[/b]
      I have had my Gene Cafe for at least 3 years. I have been impressed with it from the beginning. The heating element is still the original. I do preheat barrel for 5 min. It took us some time before we decided on what coffees we like. Kenya for its brightness and Columbia for its body. That's 2 different roast profiles. We are still learning as we go, but yes, we think this roaster is well engineered and user friendly. Size and batch are ideal for a home roaster. I've roasted a lot outside but found that roasting inside gets a consistent ambient temp. I roast under the kitchen vent with a 3 inch diameter aluminum extension off the top of the chafe collector. It just takes time to know what to expect in the final taste test. That's what makes our hobby so much fun and an ongoing education.
                                        Hope that answers a few questions.......... Ron and Shirley....... Concrete WA

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 05:45:59 AM »
I've had mine for a couple of years now and I am the second owner. I roast every 3-4 weeks. I read the owners manual when I got it. For the first year or so I just set it to the max temperature and let it roast at the default time. It was simple and repeatable. Now I tweak it so that I keep it between 420-430 degrees F for a few minutes to bring out the caramel tones in the coffee. My wife really likes these roasts now.

As I mentioned, I am the second owner, and it is still going strong. I would have no hesitation buying one again if the opportunity arose and/or this one suddenly dies.

I hope that helps you out.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline ericepps

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
I've had a Gene for 6 years now, roasting at least weekly, often 5-6 batches per week, and it's served me quite well. Yes, I've replaced the heating element twice (~$50), but I'd say it's performed quite remarkably. It's been a few years since I bought replacement parts (bought a couple spares last time so of course it'll never die again), so I don't know if they've gotten harder to find since then.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
Thank you for your helpful reply (and thanks to everyone who replied).

How good is the company's customer support?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:31:45 AM »
Thank you for your helpful reply (and thanks to everyone who replied).

How good is the company's customer support?

To date, I've never had to contact support.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski