Author Topic: Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder  (Read 9156 times)

Offline Monte

• Standard User
Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:16:07 AM »
Are there any suggestions for a new coffee grinder.  Budget is under $100.  I have been using a Hario hand grinder and I am getting tired.  I mainly brew Aeropress and French press, so an espresso grind is not important to me.  We don't have a lot of cabinet/counter space so small the better is nice too.  Thanks!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
Hello Monte:
Here is a link to one I have used for a few years now and it works great.
Pay attention to this listing though, this is just to give you a look.  There are many of these being sold on E bay.
Pay attention to the voltage, and the color. They came in a few models so don't just point and click w/o making sure it's the 115 vac model etc.
This machine is fairly compact and has a pretty good spread of grind coarseness.  It would fit in nicely on a smaller table top / shelf etc.
It grinds the beans fairly quick too, Id say about 2 to 3 Gram a second.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-Electric-Coffee-Grinder-Milling-Grinding-Home-Coffee-Bean-Grinder-/391670903471?var=660769449748&hash=item5b3167b2af:m:mBMW9rcOH202UosQzmX-f1Q
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Monte

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:25:43 AM »
Thanks!  I actually buy a lot from Ebay, but this ships from China.   Did you buy yours from that far away?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
I just did a quick look to find that type of grinder.
I have seen them ship from all over, including the US, Japan and Mexico actually.  You said your budget was under 100 bucks so I used that as a search criteria to see if I could find any of
these ones that sold for that cheap.  Generally they are right at 100 dollars or so.

I am at work so couldn't twiddle and nail down the search for just those types, but if you do, I am sure it will bring up many of them from all over with different prices.
Again, watch the voltage on them if you buy, they also come in 220 volt.
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
Let me suggest that the $100 number is arbitrary and you adjust it up just a tad and buy a Baratza Encore.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
Let me suggest that the $100 number is arbitrary and you adjust it up just a tad and buy a Baratza Encore.

Agreed. While I have the Virtuoso, both my kids and parents have the Encore and I'm always impressed when I use it.  A refurbished one directly from Baratza is $99.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
I agree as well.  You can also goto their web store and they sell refurbished NICE units for pretty good prices too.  I had one that ate a rock, I sent it in to be rebuilt and it cost me I think 80 dollars to get it back complete with new burrs in it.  They really hook you up.

Aaron

Offline Monte

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »

When I search about the Encore, the Cappreso Infinity comes up also.   It's maybe slightly cheaper.   Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is the Encore better?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 10:01:36 PM »

When I search about the Encore, the Cappreso Infinity comes up also.   It's maybe slightly cheaper.   Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is the Encore better?

They're probably very similar in construction and performance.  The difference will be in the customer service down the road.  I've never tried or needed to call Capresso, but you can call and get a live person at Baratza who knows their grinders inside and out.  And they stock parts and have a ton of videos on their website if you want to fix them yourself.  They all wear out; buy a Capresso and in 5 years when it dies, you buy a new one; buy a Baratza and you'll have it for a looooong time.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »

They're probably very similar in construction and performance.  The difference will be in the customer service down the road.  I've never tried or needed to call Capresso, but you can call and get a live person at Baratza who knows their grinders inside and out.  And they stock parts and have a ton of videos on their website if you want to fix them yourself.  They all wear out; buy a Capresso and in 5 years when it dies, you buy a new one; buy a Baratza and you'll have it for a looooong time.

+1

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Monte

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »

+1

ordered one yesterday!  Thank you for the input

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:45:48 AM »
My Baratza lasted about oh probably 4 years or so.  What killed it was I ate a rock with it.  The piece to fix it was like 20 dollars or something, had to replace a gear in it.  I didn't want to do all the tearing apart so opted to do the send in for overhaul method instead.  I put literally a few hundred pounds of beans through it easily, so it was probably time for new burrs as well.  Overhauled, cleaned up, new parts, new burrs was less than 100 dollars to arrive back on my doorstep a short time later.  You really can't beat that for customer service.

Aaron

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
You're absolutely right Aaron.

I love my Baratza grinder and I love the support I've gotten from them even more. They are the BEST!

;D
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
ordered one yesterday!  Thank you for the input

Good for you. One purchase you will not regret.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »
With all the positive talk about Baratza I'm going to call them about getting my re-badged StarSux grinder rebuilt.  It's 14 years old and has original burrs. Maybe time to replace them but it isn't heavily used. 

It's been worth it to me to spend a slight amount more to buy products from a company who stands behind what they build.  VPI Turntables,  8). Pasquini Espresso Machines,  8) Cheap as sh!t Eagnas tennis racket stringers,  :'(