Author Topic: Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder  (Read 9253 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
You go, Brian!

;D

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:12:01 PM »
brian, it is worth it, you'd be amazed how much better they run after an overhaul.  If you decide to do it yourself, they even have those types listed for a specific part or two I think that are different in it.

I don't know if they'd do this or not but hey Joe, possibly we could get some kind of group buy on these?  Although I do not need a new grinder (god I got too many as it is!!) I got my sister really liking the coffee and getting her a good grinder would make it even better.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline jaybrad

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »
+1 for Baratza. I've had mine for about 10-12 years, have recommended it to others, and bought a few for gifts. Their customer service is fantastic. A few years ago when I broke the timer mechanism (operator issue, not the machine's fault), they calmly guided me through the process to take it apart and sent the part right away. About a year ago, it tried to grind a rock, which didn't go very well. But after a quick visit to their web site, I had a new burr on the way and it arrived in just a few days. Replacing it was about a 2 minute task.

If this grinder ever dies and can't be repaired, I'll buy another Baratza. No question about it.

Good luck.

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 05:39:15 PM »
Is the Baratza suitable for espresso grinding?  I always see grinders claim they can run at that setting, but then read reviews that they are not up to snuff for espresso.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
I would not recommend it for the long haul.  It may be able to do a decent espresso but was not really designed for that precision for the longevity one would want on an espresso grinder.  If you do go to their website, they do have other machines for sale that ARE specifically for espresso (and everything else grinding) you may find at a decent price.

Dammit now, you mentioned it, I got the ear worm going.  I think this weekend when I have a little time to tinker around I am going to try using mine to do an espresso and see how it comes out.  It may not be super but may still be very drinkable.... we shall see.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
Is the Baratza suitable for espresso grinding?  I always see grinders claim they can run at that setting, but then read reviews that they are not up to snuff for espresso.

Yes, check this out.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »

Yes, check this out.

I say no, but make sure you read all the info online you can.  This one review said '+ knowing what you're doing'...  It might work, given you have lots of experience, and know your equipment well.  Everything I've ever read says it's not a capable espresso grinder.  But then it might depend on what you consider good espresso.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 05:32:09 AM »
10 years ago at a previous job...ouch, hurts to type that 10 yr part btw...

We had a Baratza Encore in the office to grind whatever came through our monthly coffee subscription.  I remember thinking it was a neat little grinder and was impressed at the grind consistency over my whirly bird grinder.  But, being the uneducated consumer that I was at that time, that was where the contemplating stopped.

I'll check out some of the other options.  I need a grinder that handles pour over duty grinding for the weekdays, but handles espresso grind on the weekend.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
What's your budget?  Joe reviewed a Baratza over the winter that would suit you better than the Encore if you can swing it.

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »
Thanks Peter.  I will look for Joe's review.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 01:42:00 AM »
  I need a grinder that handles pour over duty grinding for the weekdays, but handles espresso grind on the weekend.

~~~If you want to drink espresso, you need an espresso grinder, so buy your first espresso grinder last.  I'm pretty happy with my Mazzer Super Jolly.  Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"I am the new superhero, 'Captain Apathy'. I have all the super-powers
but I don't have any desire to use them."

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
  I need a grinder that handles pour over duty grinding for the weekdays, but handles espresso grind on the weekend.

~~~If you want to drink espresso, you need an espresso grinder, so buy your first espresso grinder last.  I'm pretty happy with my Mazzer Super Jolly.  Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"I am the new superhero, 'Captain Apathy'. I have all the super-powers
but I don't have any desire to use them."

And if you want people to view your photos, you need to re-size them.   ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
lp, 7-Ski

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
When I search about the Encore, the Cappreso Infinity comes up also.   It's maybe slightly cheaper.   Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is the Encore better?

I use one for drip coffee.  It's reliable, and worked well enough when new-ish.  The last time I called to order replacement burrs, Capresso would only sell the upper half - which is sorta pointless IMO.  Currently (after years on the second set of burrs) it's producing a lot of fines again - so it's on my 'gotta be replaced' list.

It IS worth the modest price, but I'd go for the Baratza personally.
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline CrackedBean

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »
For a budget friendly choice I would look into the Orphan Espresso Lido E manual grinder. I often use a Lido 2 and find that it grinds and adjusts easily enough for espresso, so the model E with an even more precise adjustment ring should work great. If you drink a lot of coffee I believe you will find it is a worthwhile upgrade even though it is twice what you are budgeting.