Author Topic: Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Need Recommendations on New Coffee Grinder
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
cracked bean brings up a good point,if you go through a lot of coffee, and by a lot I am not necessarily talking 15 pots a day but even two or 3 pots, you may want to spend the money up front for a good machine that will last, rather than half the money every couple years as you wear out your grinder.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
  I need a grinder that handles pour over duty grinding for the weekdays, but handles espresso grind on the weekend.

~~~If you want to drink espresso, you need an espresso grinder, so buy your first espresso grinder last.  I'm pretty happy with my Mazzer Super Jolly.  Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake

I learned this the hard way. I tried to make my Breville smart grinder handle espresso and tried to modify other grinders. Nothing was ever as good as the Nuova Simmonelli MDX I finally purchased. If you're looking to grind for espresso I wouldn't waste my money trying to go the cheap(er) route, just get the right grinder up front. Super Jolly is a great machine and it reasonably priced for great espresso. A lot of the commercial espresso grinders are built like tanks, you won't ever HAVE to purchase another, although there is always bigger and sometimes even better.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
I also have a super jolly, love it, and it can go through coffee too.  If I am grinding for customers ill adjust to regular grind and eat a few pounds.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »
Now for the derail.   I'm sorta in the same boat as the OP, tho' at a higher price point.

I really enjoy an espresso OCCASIONALLY but investing $2k on a Mahlkonig isn't justifiable for the occasional weekend where I pull ~6 shots.  $700 on a Mazzer isn't quite so irrational, but seems over the edge to me.

A Baratza Sette 270 w/ both the AP & BG burr sets looks very  attractive but ....
- many reports that it lacks range on the coarse/drip range, and that the BG burrs aren't a complete  solution (too many fines on coarse).
- there are a LOT of reports of infant-death.  The machine just stops spinning.   Seems to be a headache w/ the DC motor.  *MAYBE* recently fixed, Baratza has good support, but ...

Baratza Vario ~$480 ?
- several burr choices, from a default ceramic to a (+$60) steel replacement that promises to do manual/coarse better ? Good enough ?  Reputedly hard to dial-in for espresso.

A Super Jolly ~$700 for a 90% drip/manual operation sounds like a bad idea tho' probably a superior solution for espresso.  Comments ?

Should I just get an Encore or Virtuoso and a Lido hand-grinder (maybe $430 total) ?  BUt that's more $$ than a Sette 270 + BG burrs I have to crank the beast.

I'm not a Baratza fanboy, but they seem to have a number of reasonable grinders.   More than willing to look at better options.   
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
...so buy your first espresso grinder last.

Uhh is that "buy your last grinder first" ?

So I was just reading on the Bataza website that the Sette motors are rated for 150 hrs, and at 6 seconds a double that SOUNDS like a long time, but ....
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:03 AM »
so lets see 150 hours X 3600 seconds in an hour gives us 540, 000 seconds
lets say we are a bit slow and make that 12 seconds for us to grind that shot,  45, 000 shots.
divide that by say two shots a day for   61 and a half years worth of shots.
That sounds like a lot but....

Aaron

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »
so lets see 150 hours X 3600 seconds in an hour gives us 540, 000 seconds
lets say we are a bit slow and make that 12 seconds for us to grind that shot,  45, 000 shots.
divide that by say two shots a day for   61 and a half years worth of shots.
That sounds like a lot but....

Aaron

That leaves out the first dump shot of the day and calibrating grinds. And only two shots a day? Who are you fooling? hahahaha

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
Dump shot?  None of those here...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »

+1

Only the best!

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »

When you are as space brained as me, you're going to be drinking thin/sour shots on the first pull of the day.

You guys must be latte drinkers  ;D ;) Foofoo drinks. Ahahaha

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
You guys must be latte drinkers  ;D ;) Foofoo drinks. Ahahaha

We treat all coffee drink variants as equals.

:o
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
Well if you treat everything as equals mp then I guess you are going to put all of your coffee equipment up for sale and just drink starbucks because it's easier... afterall, all things are equal right?  8)

hehe
Aaron

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »
[...] but ... it ignores that a lot of the wear in a small dc motor brushes is the high inrush current at startup under load.  Running a nominal 150hr motor for 6 second intervals at full loadis very rough duty.  This might partly explain the early infant deaths.  Baratza claims they've addressed it.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »
[...] but ... it ignores that a lot of the wear in a small dc motor brushes is the high inrush current at startup under load.  Running a nominal 150hr motor for 6 second intervals at full loadis very rough duty.  This might partly explain the early infant deaths.  Baratza claims they've addressed it.

Not sure if this makes any sense, but I always turn on my grinders before adding the beans, thinking it's less stress on the drivetrain to not have it under a load at startup.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 05:32:50 AM »
Not sure if this makes any sense, but I always turn on my grinders before adding the beans, thinking it's less stress on the drivetrain to not have it under a load at startup.

That makes great sense.

:)
lp, 7-Ski