Author Topic: What Thermometer is everyone using  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Kevin

• Standard User
What Thermometer is everyone using
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:41:43 AM »
I have to purchase a new thermometer. Looking for recommendations.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: What Thermometer is everyone using
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Oral not Rectal, it affects the taste  ;D

Thermometer for Brewing or Roasting?  There are so many out there, any really works.  Id avoid the 10 dollar chineese specials, and you don't need to pay 80 dollars either.

One thing to keep in mind, you might want to go with one that takes AA or AAA batteries .vs. the button cells, it will be a little cheaper in the long run on battery price that way.  You won't need the alkaline, lithium batteries or anything like that either.  T-moms are so little drain, the el cheapo plain batteries work fine.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Kevin

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »
Roasting

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:32:10 AM »
Any K type thermocouple works.  K is the most common.

This is a chineese one, isn't everything nowadays,  as you can see, very reasonably priced.  You can get many brand names all different bells and whistles if you desire.  This is pretty much the one that came with my Artisan 6 Roaster and it works fine for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYELEC-K-Type-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-Testing-Meter-Bag-for-Industrial-/322811485372?hash=item4b29105cbc:g:BnoAAOSwIC1Z2CjQ

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »
Fwiw a lot of electrical multimeters these days also have a thermocouple input that will handle  K's a a few others.
My $8 chinese thermocouple  meter died for no reason after ~2yrs.   YOu may want to spend a few $$ more.
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline jmp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »
Fluke is the best, last forever does cost though.