Author Topic: Roaster Options (~1 pound capacity)  (Read 9080 times)

Offline mattw

• Standard User
Roaster Options (~1 pound capacity)
« on: November 10, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
So my faithful Hottop is probably ending it's life soon. She's had a great run, but after almost half a ton of coffee through her it's probably time.

I've been looking around to see what my options are for roasters that will give me a bit more roasting capacity while also gaining a little more control. I'm typically the one who roasts, but my wife sometimes roasts and I would like to keep something that is (relatively) simple for her to use if/when she wants to have a go at it.

So far I've seen the Huky, Kaldi, Bullet, and Quest as popular options these days. The Quest doesn't gain any roasting capacity so it's out. The Bullet looks like a great system (really ideal) but is substantially more expensive. The Kaldi offerings seem like a less-refined version of the Huky. The Huky isn't ideal as it has a lot more stuff than the Hottop (probably will intimidate my wife), but with the increased capacity I

So now I'm keeping an eye out for a used Huky.

BUT - are there any other options that I should be looking at? It seems like there has been a lot of development in the 1lb market lately and I haven't been keeping up!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Roaster Options (~1 pound capacity)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:26 AM »
The Huky is probably a good bet that won't break the bank too badly.
The Behmor Id stay away from, it really is not a 1 Lb roaster and from my observations the quality on them has gone down over the years.
Other than that, sadly there are not a lot of inexpensive options, if you wanted to step it up a bit the artisan has a 2.5 lb roaster that is painfully simple, you adjust the bean loft, a knob... then adjust the temperature, another knob.  It can do up to 2.5 lbs and down to 8 oz.  it's about 3k but the average 1lb sample roaster generally starts at 4500 elsewhere so it is a deal.  Repair parts are dirt cheap too if you ever need to. A few hundred dollars tops vs hundreds of dollars for other guys' parts.

If you want to talk more about it, please feel free to PM me, I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about using it and can give you a link/ referral for it as well.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
So far I've seen the Huky, Kaldi, Bullet, and Quest as popular options these days. The Quest doesn't gain any roasting capacity so it's out. The Bullet looks like a great system (really ideal) but is substantially more expensive. The Kaldi offerings seem like a less-refined version of the Huky. The Huky isn't ideal as it has a lot more stuff than the Hottop (probably will intimidate my wife), but with the increased capacity I

So now I'm keeping an eye out for a used Huky.

BUT - are there any other options that I should be looking at? It seems like there has been a lot of development in the 1lb market lately and I haven't been keeping up!

Those are the same options I was up against appx 1 yr ago. 

I went with the Huky and won't ever look back. It is more cludgy than the Bullet but it really isn't intimidating and not hard to learn.  Not like when I first started to roast on the Behmor. What swayed me the most was that it is gas fired which has less temp lag than electric; like cooking on gas burners vs and electric stove.   

A complete used system is the way to go IMO.  They are hard to come by and if you see one you've got to be ready. National craigslists, fleabay, and of course coffee forums.  There used to be a dedicated Huky forum where folks would put up their build lists but its recently dissolved. One "extra" that makes it easier is another cooling tray/fan setup. The primary fan vents the drum and a secondary one allows for faster turn between batches.  Maybe that appeals to you, maybe not.

Several folks here use them and I think most would be happy to help on of our own. 

Offline mattw

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for a used Huky - I'll stalk the usual places!

I had a Behmor while I was waiting on a part for the HT last time I fixed it. I did not like it.

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »
IIRC there was some Korean roaster in the same range as the Taiwanese Huky & Bullet R1.  Can't seem to recall the details.  Anyone got the name/link ?

I like the Bullet induction heating idea - controllable and efficient.   OTOH the 2x price compared to Huky is pretty stiff for an amateur toy.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
I think you're talking about the Kaldi. There are several models in their line-up. Not many users AFAIK.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
mattw,

unless your HT is modified, you have to wait for the cool down cycle before you can start a new batch.
While the Quest has about the same batch capacity, it doesn't have a cool down cycle so you go back to back all
you want.  Throughput might not be double but prob 50% or more if you do several batches each session.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
mattw,

unless your HT is modified, you have to wait for the cool down cycle before you can start a new batch.
While the Quest has about the same batch capacity, it doesn't have a cool down cycle so you go back to back all
you want.  Throughput might not be double but prob 50% or more if you do several batches each session.

FYI, Modifying the HT to skip the cooling cycle is super simple - at least for the models I'm familiar with. I have  made other modifications to help with cooling the electronics and gearbox however.  I don't think it would be a problem in the winter, but in the Arizona summer, it needs some help to do multiple back to back batches.  And, of course, it voids the warranty.  :-\

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:49:18 PM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Jddurango

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
I had a Behmor for 3 years and bought a Huky about 2-3 months ago.  I love it and definitely recommend it over the Behmor.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:13 AM »
I had a Behmor for 3 years and bought a Huky about 2-3 months ago.  I love it and definitely recommend it over the Behmor.

yeah I think the Huky is a nice option at the price range. Taiwan makes nice roasters.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
I think you're talking about the Kaldi. There are several models in their line-up. Not many users AFAIK.

Nah - there was one that looked more like the Aillio.   My guesstimate is that that Kaldi is a poor design and won't hold a pound.
--

Not the one I was thinking of, but this little gem is interesting,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QElbutT56nQ
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:48:20 PM by stevea »
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline MJ5150

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 08:56:10 PM »
Howdy mattw!

Did you find a roaster?
I faced a similar decision in May of 2015. I went with the Huky, and have loved it ever since.
It's really simple to use, and easy to learn. I'll have coffee roasting parties at our house and bring some firends over to let them roast a pound of coffee on their own.
I have had zero problems with mine since I bought it.
A couple self inflicted issues, melted probes, the Mr. Li promptly shipped a replacement as soon as I told him. I had to pay for it.

I don't use any software or tracking on my roasts. All sight, sounds, smell, and touch for me.

-Mike

Offline SpecialReserve

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »
We have roasted hundreds of pounds of coffee in the behmore 1600 plus. No problems. I can't tell the difference between coffee roasted in it and what comes from the probat. Like another post said. I'd not drop a full pound in it. It seems to like 14 ozs better. For the $$ it can't be beat. Good luck with your hunt!
Everything is better with coffee

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 05:05:12 PM »
I'm looking at upgrading from the WearEver popper.  I want something affordable, but can handle 1/2 - 1 pound or better.

However, my main concern, currently, is staying under $300. 

Thoughts, suggestions?
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 05:15:01 PM »
Under 300 dollars, good luck.

The Behmor may be in that price neck of the woods but, 1 Lb is the max that will ever do, on a good day.  If you are looking to do more than a pound, then you are talking big boy toy store now.

The Artisan 2.5  or is it 3.5 I forget, will easily do down to 8 oz, and up to 3 pounds or so.  It's about 3 grand though.  The Huky does a kilo??? at around 2 grand delivered with many bells whistles.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!