Author Topic: Coffee cups  (Read 3982 times)

Offline stevea

• Standard User
Coffee cups
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
OK - this is probably out of scope for 'hardware' on a mostly roasting forum,but...

I pickup up a couple ~12oz double-walled glass mugs at World Market  ~6months ago.  They feel fragile, but aside from that they are nearly perfect.  You see the beverage clearly, they hold heat extremely well, and they are reasonably attractive, very light weight.

All my ceramic mugs/cups lose so badly by comparison  .... need to make their way to Goodwill.
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Coffee cups
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
I agree.  The Bodum double-wall 15oz. mug is what I use.  It would be interesting to see how well ceramic fares, when pre-heated.  My usual seat-O-the-pants method for gauging a mug's thermal efficiency is noting how hot it feels with hot coffee in it.  The Bodums barely feel warm.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
OK - this is probably out of scope for 'hardware' on a mostly roasting forum,but...

I pickup up a couple ~12oz double-walled glass mugs at World Market  ~6months ago.  They feel fragile, but aside from that they are nearly perfect.  You see the beverage clearly, they hold heat extremely well, and they are reasonably attractive, very light weight.

All my ceramic mugs/cups lose so badly by comparison  .... need to make their way to Goodwill.

Keep a ceramic cup as backup!  I love these double walled mugs, but they crack/break pretty easily or I'm just clumsy before my morning coffee.  The heavier Bodum's fare a bit better, but I prefer the feel of the World Market ones.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:54:25 PM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »

They only break if you don't have any spares...  I bought mine at a *$; I had been eyeing them up online, but didn't want to buy two of them (they are sold in pairs) without holding one first, so when I saw one at *$ for $15 I snapped it up.  That was 5 or 6 years ago.  I knew it would just be a matter of time before it went 'plink' into a million pieces, so when JC Penney had a clearance on all things Bodum due to a falling out between them, I grabbed two boxes - 4 extra mugs.  And as you might expect, the original is still going strong.  If it was my only one, Murphy's Law would've gone into effect a long time ago.

Keep a ceramic cup as backup!  I love these double walled mugs, but they crack/break pretty easily or I'm just clumsy before my morning coffee.  The heavier Bodum's fare a bit better, but I prefer the feel of the World Market ones.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline SpecialReserve

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
We use the Bodum double insulated glass and I will never go back LOL ... it stays by my side at all times. It truly does enhance the coffee drinking experience IMO (and the wifes)
Everything is better with coffee

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
Tealyra - ZEUS 13.5-ounce  double walled are my new favorite.  Received them from my daughter and they are very sturdy.
AZ Peter

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »
We got some of the Bodum double insulated mugs for x-mas and they are very sturdy. Way thicker and heavier than the Bodum 2x insulated glasses (pub glass type).  The mugs also hold heat/cold better.

My new fav travel cup is the Swell Sip my wifey got me for Xmas.  Holds it hot long after the freshness goes.
YMMV, all that.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »
I can't stop reaching for the notneutral mugs i got. They just feel so good in the hands...Really a perfect mug. I have way too many cups though and these aren't cheap probably like $12/mug.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »
I really like swell bottles too. I make a big chemex, then fill up my mug and that and use it to fill up my mug for the next hour or so. Keeps it really hot.

I need to get one of these mugs that Joe keeps telling us about!!
Roasting on a Huky; La Marzocco GS3 for extracting.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »
I really love those bright red ones from solo  8)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
I really love those bright red ones from solo  8)

Aaron

Filled with beer, no doubt .........
AZ Peter

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:50 PM »
I need to get one of these mugs that Joe keeps telling us about!!

Buy a used logo one from ebay or something and then go full force once you know you'll like it.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »
How are those not neutral mugs for heat retention Joe?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »
How are those not neutral mugs for heat retention Joe?

The same as any porcelain mug. Which for my habits is more than enough. I use a hydroflask or Contigo cup if I want it hot for hours.

RobertL

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
IKEA has some nice coffee cups that are reasonably priced. For brewed coffee I like the two in the pics I’ve attached.