Author Topic: Grinder for espresso  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
Grinder for espresso
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
Hey everyone! I’m looking to upgrade my machine at the end of December and I keep wondering what grinder will really be right for the price. I usually grind to single dose, so I don’t want much retention. Obviously, the monolith seems perfect, but the price is definitely more than I’d like to spend.

What is everyone here using? I’m just using a lido right now, but know if moving up to a La Marzocco, I’m not going to get the return. Is saving for the monolith my best beat? Any other recommendations from anyone here? The k30 seems like a good bet, but that’s a lot too and I think it’s retention is more than I’d like to waste? Not sure. No one I know owns anything like this, especially at home. I just know I’d hate to pick up some grinder and waste 5-10 grams each time or not do justice to the machines output.

Thanks everyone!!
Roasting on a Huky; La Marzocco GS3 for extracting.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Grinder for espresso
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »
for home use? Baratza sette 270 W is more than up for the task. the Vario is good as well. Compak is really nice I think Peter has one. I personally have a Mazzer super Jolly for espresso and the sette 270 w is misused for my drip grind. But the auto weight thing is super nice and my small portafilter on the PVL doesn't play nice with the Baratza  porta filter scale.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:04:54 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »
I do like my Compak K10, and even with the doser, there is very little retention.  But that probably isn't what the OP is looking for size-wise or budget-wise.

If I was in the market now, the Sette would at the top of my list.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »
Thank you guys for the replies. I don’t want to specify a specific budget bc I’m going after a gs3 machine. I know there might be a point of diminishing returns on both parts of this equation, but I’m afraid if I get any other machine, I’ll just keep wanting what I want... I was looking at slayers too, but I’ve been too fond of La Marzocco 
so, I just wanted to see what everyone here is using or looking to get theirselves. I don’t want to be holding the espresso machine back with a lower grinder; I want to be the weakest link of the equation since I might not ever upgrade again and learn through this machine in my lifetime.

I wanted a sette before, then was eyeing up the SJ. A local distributor told me not to get the sette, to go for a mazer or simonelli mdx.
How’s the retention on the SJ, Joe? Do you have to brush it out each time to get minimal retention? That’s not horrible but I don’t want to add too much hassle each morning.
And I’ll look more into that k10 bc it’s suggested a lot.
I’m glad someone said super jolly though, bc that’s what La Marzocco sells, too. Sette price is good so I’ll look at more reviews of that.
Another question- would you go sette over super jolly?
Sorry to run-on all my posts!!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
I have been using a Super Jolly with my Livia 90 for 13+ years.  It's a beast and will probably outlive me.

There is some retention but I don't care.  If seeking ne plus ultra Spro and buying a LaMarz I would probably fret it more. 

I'm happy though with what I've got. I pull better shots that I get at 90% of the shops in town that have more upscale gear and I live in a coffee city.   

If spending that sort of dough I'd buy from a store/stores with multiple options and a generous return policy. Keep what you love, return what you don't. 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
I agree with Brian I have had mine since 2004-ish and I will never get rid of it. I bought it for $120 and there is a little system i do to clean it out. I am one of the few that kept the doser and I love it. The Baratza sette 270w has zero retention and is a joy to use but the fact that I still use my Mazzer SJ for espresso tells you how much i regard that grinder. I have a small china paint brush that I replace every three years or so and that cleans out my shoot and then I run a couple seconds of fresh grinds to push any stale ones out. I use the lid in reverse and perform a thorough sweep and then rock n roll. Since I might make 2-3 espresso's in any one evening this is super overkill. I love the Livia 90 btw and i have never had the desire to get a gs3 or slayer, I did have a commercial Elektra t-1 which Chef Glenn bought (I hear he is thinking of selling it....) I loved that machine as well, but again way too overkill for the amount i was using it. If I was to start a small shop I would buy a used T-1 in a heartbeat. If I needed a pump machine now I would get the Livia 90 or Bezzera equivelent, but I really enjoy the Ponte Vecchio Lusso despite some short comings...quiet, easy, dependable...

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
Thanks for those responses. Good to hear. I usually pull 3-5 doubles a day for me, then a latte for wife. I know it’s overkill and I’ve talked to Dave at La Marzocco many times. Debating between the linea mini and this. I know there’s a lot to it more than my breville, but I’m really wanting to go down the lever train. And go a bit crazy doing it......

I’ll check out those machines too that you mentioned bc I know I’m going overkill. I just love the machine.  Thanks again guys! Anyone else who uses something different, post it too!!

And the retention thing might sound stupid, like buying a hummer and worrying about gas. But I really love the coffee I roast and buy. Especially from here. I probably won’t go to SM anymore bc I love that idido I got from Aaron!!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »
Idido misty valley is amazing coffee but you should really try as many offerings here as you can. We only bring to our members the best of the best, we don’t have to have any specific origins around at all times etc... like other brick and mortar places.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »
I'd be looking at a Londinium or a restored vintage Faema, if I was buying now.  I only know two people when went for a GS3, both of them were more knowledgeable than me regarding espresso, and they both sold the GS3 in less than a year... they hated it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
All of these are why I posted here! I’m going to check those out now, Peter. And I will, Joe! I’m just sitting on about 100 lbs right now. I’m here to stay so I’m trying to not piss anyone off. Lol I like this club and have been impressed with the one I’ve purchased so far. I talk about this place to anyone I roast with/for, which is a few friends.

I’m going to guess they didn’t like the maintenance on the old paddle, but if you know their reasons, I’d like to hear! Or what they chose to move onto. You can say they thought it was a complete pos. I’m all for the help deciding against it.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 10:42:40 PM »
My vote is for old school commercial stuff. Don't need the fancy buttons or gizmos, just enough adjust-ability and durability and an even grind. A Super Jolly or similar is just perfect if you have the counter space.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 01:40:40 AM »
I have a super jolly which serves me well and also use an Astra as well.  The Jolly is a tank which will take an arm off if you are not careful :)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
For all of the poo-pooers about the Super Jolly's shortcomings (clumping, grounds in the chute, blah blah), it seems to be a prominent fixture in many rigs. 

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
I purchased a used La Cimbali. I paid $200 way back when I bought it. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It was more grinder than I needed, but it will last me a lifetime. I would suggest a used Italian commercial grinder, whether is it is Simonelli, Mazzer, La Cimbali, etc. The Italian grinders are built like beasts and will keep chewing espresso beans forever. Buy your last espresso grinder first.

I hope this helps you out.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 11:39:39 PM »
All of this has helped!

In kind of grinder related news, I found my first rock today in greens... scared me that I haven’t been really digging through my roasts. Does everyone inspect everything before going into roaster? Or has anyone here ruined burrs with a stone? I’m worried now that I’m going to miss one one day!! I’ve been pondering what’s the best way to make sure one never gets through the roaster. Maybe I would hear it. LI guess just dump them onto a plate before adding to roaster