Author Topic: Grinder for espresso  (Read 3759 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Grinder for espresso
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 04:13:36 AM »
In twenty or so years of buying and roasting green coffee, I've only once come across a small stone. How did I know, my grinder jammed. I immediately pulled the power cord and investigated. I found and disposed of the culprit luckily with no permanent damage to the grinder. I suppose you can find a sifter that has holes smaller than your beans and larger than the stone, but then again how would you know how big the stone will be. In summary, I would say it is always a possibility but normally a low probability.

Roast your coffee and enjoy!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
I find them more often (but still very infrequently) after roasting, as they stand out more.  I'm not saying to not keep your eyes open before roasting, but it won't hurt the roaster to have a rock bounce around in it; after roasting is more important to be watching.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
You’re probably right about it standing out more after roasting. I just happened to be looking in the bag of greens and smelling them when I noticed a weird looking one which I thought was silver skin or mildew or something.

Glad to hear it’s somewhat a rarity and I’m glad I noticed it. Keeps me on my toes(at least for a few weeks!  8) )

It wasn’t one from here either. Few months old SM honey process Colombia. Trying to get through all my SM beans so I can be ready for upcoming offerings here!

Also glad to here the grinder just jammed. I was imagining a horrible sounding grinding of burrs being annihilated.
Roasting on a Huky; La Marzocco GS3 for extracting.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »
Most of the detritus (nice word, hey?  ;D ) has been in beans from Sumatra where they dry on concrete patios... So the chunks of concrete (and their concrete is not like our concrete) are soft and often won't jam the burrs; they're not good for the burrs, but it's better than an actual stone.

I find corn too once in a while.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »
I picked up two Obel Bregant grinders from a local shop going out of business because I got a really good deal on them but knew nothing about them. You won't find much on the web about them and they are usually rebranded as Aurora/Brugnetti, Bezzera, Carimali, Maver, Pavoni and other espresso machine manufacturers. They were in really good shape so I sold one and kept the other so essentially got it for free with profit. I replaced the burrs and this grinder will probably outlast me. It grinds perfectly for my use even though it is a doser and has some retention in chute. With all that being said, there can be some really good deals out there on used commercial grinders that also fit well for home use like this one does. It doesn't look out of place in my kitchen as it is not too big. I did replace the hopper with a shorter one to fit under cabinets.
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster