Author Topic: Filtration systems- maybe bwt bestmax  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
Filtration systems- maybe bwt bestmax
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
Anyone familiar with the bwt bestmax premium filter? Or is anyone using anything else to plumb in their espresso machine? I’ve been worried about what I need to get and I’ve been doing just a few minutes of research today.

If anyone uses one, is this all I need? Also, how long is it typically lasting. I get that those numbers will be by usage, but just wondering everyone’s thoughts!
Roasting on a Huky; La Marzocco GS3 for extracting.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: Filtration systems- maybe bwt bestmax
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
I am definitely not an expert and I don't have any opinion on that unit, except to say it seems pretty expensive. Since I live in a place with extremely soft water (9.6 mg/l  per our water district report) and low sediment, I've elected to just run with an undersink  filter unit. If that's all you need, there are generic filter housing units that use a standard 10" filter media that are much more affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-158005-Slim-Line-Black/dp/B0050O060K
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Carbon-Block-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B06ZYC5NG5/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1513660475&sr=1-7&keywords=10%22+water+filter

These are just some examples and are basically the same as the Brita unit I bought at the big box store. If you have a lot of sediment, you can gang two or more of these together and use different filter elements types in series. Also, if you live in an area with high mineral content, then don't listen to me as what I've linked to will be quite inadequate.

BTW, our local water district posts detailed information about the water testing results they do online. I bet yours does the same. That way you can find out exactly what you need. Watch out as water filtration system sales guys are the biggest bunch of snake oil peddlers known to man.

var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
Thanks grinderz,

That’s the kind of advice I’m looking for. Mine is between 120-150 mg/l  so I’m going to have to figure something out. Hopefully someone here is in the same situation.

Glad to hear though that besides this, I won’t need much. Still looking to hear what anyone is using to prevent scale with water that’s above recommended by machine manufacturer.
Roasting on a Huky; La Marzocco GS3 for extracting.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
The purer the water the better for an espresso machine, since it leaves less deposits in the boiler, but pure water typically makes rather unflavorful coffee.  Minerals in the water now will make for better coffee but scale up your machine after a while.

I need to invent a mineral stick that you can stick in your coffee, stir for say 10 seconds and it puts the minerals back in that we like but AFTER the boiling process to keep the machine pristine.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
I bought several setups from this site. https://www.wateranywhere.com. The filters and canisters are very reasonably priced. Running from the house water line requires a t adapter from the facet under the sink. Home Depot sells the adapters and I would opt for the braided adapter to the filter. The compression adapter to plastic lines just don’t hold well. Also, if you can add a valve in line back to the drain, it allows you to flush water through a new filter. Run two canisters for softening and sediment. A watts pressure regulator can be added as well.