Author Topic: Roasted coffee storage containers  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
Roasted coffee storage containers
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
I was using ziplock bags before. I started using coffee bags I got from SM and never used. I was dumping one out and could see holes in the bottom. Obviously, threw that bag away and will only use the rest to give friends their coffee ie one use.

So now I’m back to figuring out my next step bc I was being lazy about it.

Should I get airscapes or any other suggestions. I was worried the plastic with ziplocks would either ruin my coffee or add bad chemicals to it. Might be overthinking that too much. I definitely liked not worry about previous coffee smells going into the next batch like when I was reusing coffee bags. 

And Happy New Year everyone.
Roasting on a Huky; La Marzocco GS3 for extracting.

Offline rbk

• Standard User
Re: Roasted coffee storage containers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:52:34 AM »
I primarily store coffee in some valve bags I grabbed on amazon. Sometimes I'll use those little vacuum-seal canisters, though after a few batches the container picks up a noticeable "generic stale coffee" smell that I can't imagine is doing any favors to the beans inside..

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
Mason jars with the lids on loosely for me.  CO2 escapes, but air doesn't get in.  Dishwasher clean up when/if there is oil build up.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:13:41 AM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
I use quart-size freezer ziplocks.  If the main enemy of coffee freshness is oxygen, then I want a container that will let most of the air to be pushed out.  The reason I don't use the vacuum canisters is I don't want another appliance in my kitchen, and I'd need 15 of the canisters (I don't roast for myself, but always do extra of customers' roasts for QC; and my have several sample roasts at any given time).

So I have a collection of the ziplocks labeled according to the coffee origin, with multiples of many origins.  These have been in use for many years.  Some purist roasting friends like to tease me about the age of the bags.  I have never noticed any off-flavors of the bag affecting the flavor of the coffee; in my mind flavors and gasses are escaping the bean making it difficult to take on off-flavors.

Part of my equation is that beans rarely go beyond FC+ so that are no oils on the beans to get on the bags.

Valved foil pouches can be washed out if you want.

All of this over-thinking can be dismissed by simply drinking our coffee in a reasonable amount of time. 

:-)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
Today’s roasting day since it’s the only day off work, so I usually roast 2 batches through the Hottop. I barely give the coffee a rest :P
I’m going to do three today bc I have a new espresso machine coming next week and people seem to like to rest beans for espresso for longer. Meaning, I’m thinking about storage more now.

I saw a lot of people using mason jars so maybe I’ll go that route. Just seems like I would have too much headspace that I couldn’t push out. I’ll probably throw them into ziplocks today bc I have them on hand, but I wanted to see if anyone acts like they’re the devil.

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »
And I like the thinking that gases are being released not taken in so much. I don’t go past fc much either so surface oil aren’t much of a problem like you said

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »
You can get oils before hitting second crack.  But on that, ziplock bags work fine.  So do mason jars, or those twist on lid tupperware plastic containers etc.  Id not worry about the chemicals in the plastic getting into your beans too much.  If it bothers you so much, then wrap them in aluminum foil, then you can get Alzheimers and not remember what you were worried about :)  problem solved!

I typically use plastic bags, cheap and can shove into a corner or wherever if space gets tight, unlike a jar where it's form solid shape.

Aaron

As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
Tight space when it comes to coffee beans?  Say it is not so .... unless you are talking about green bean stash control where my coffee  drawer soon became a coffee bean closet once I found GCBC.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:10:58 PM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
Also Silentdoom, the excessive head room in mason jars hasn't been an issue as the beans seem to off gas CO2 for a week or two by which time the beans are gone.  I guess if you are like Aaron who seemingly keeps beans on his counter for months, the results might be different.  ;)
AZ Peter

Offline Silentdoom

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »
Lol I had the feeling that co2 would help protect against it. Make sense, since it’s heavier, right?
Done for today. Now time to brew a yirgacheffe to warm up from the 6° weather.

Those improper fractions might hurt some of you and I’m thinking I’m going to see some oils on that one marked espro  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:27:10 PM by Silentdoom »

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
6 degrees?  Brrrr. Celsius I hope!  ;D
AZ Peter

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »
I try not to keep coffee for months.  Sometimes I will when I am sampling, keep it for weeks and weeks, yes we generally don't want to do this, but I can guarantee you that more people here actually do that than care to admit it.   I also like to be able to tell folks, yes, this bean WILL maintain a decent flavor after 4 weeks, because sometimes I know it does happen.

As far as space, yep, when the drawer gets full, all those spaces between the jars, if they were bags, you could squeeze another origin or two in there :)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline jasonarcand

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
+1 on the mason jars, lid loose to allow CO2 to offgas.

Offline Musicphanmike

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »
I use mason jar's with a modified lid with one way valve.  Simply drill a hole in the lid big enough for a one way valve and glue it in.. they work great.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
Why does the CO2 have to be let out?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you