Author Topic: Roaster Choices, which one to purchase.  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Bergertone

• Standard User
Roaster Choices, which one to purchase.
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:40:47 AM »
I'm looking to invest in a new roaster
I want 2 get two pounds or more roasted beans.
I want to roast indoors, I am willing to vent the unit. I live in Michigan it's 3 degrees F  today.
$3,000. price range

I started on a tiny iRoast, about 11 years ago I got a RK drum great for the summer, I'm on my second Behmor 1600 it's not filling my needs.

I'v been looking at:Coffee Crafters Artisan 2.5, not really sure how to vent the smoke
                             Aillio Bullet R1, saw a video of a interesting venting sent up with a metal garbage can with no details.

Any thoughts on these or other possibilities of roasters would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bergertone
RC Drum, Aillio, Behmor
Good Coffee and Be-Bop!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Roaster Choices, which one to purchase.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
I've long wondered why a BBQ grill couldn't be properly vented and used indoors, and how that setup would be different than my Ambex.  What makes it safe to roast indoors w/ mine, but not a grill?

On point, how did you set your budget at $3K?  Can it be budged higher to allow for a used 2K from say, US Roasters?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
The Artisan, comes with a smoke removal system? I guess you could call it if you want.  Basically it's a hood with a fan to suck the smoke off the top of the roaster.   Indoors you'd need to pipe it like you do your dryer and blow it outside.  Maybe there is a way you could cut into your dryer vent and use the same opening, but just not at the same time the dryer is running.

To be honest, if you can get it into the same room as the dryer, since the Artisan is all electric, and the smaller one uses less amps, you could probably get away with putting a like cord on it and plugging it right in there to the dryer plug too to power it and it's fan.

They will roast a bit more than their 'rating'  for example I have done 7 lbs in my 5 lb unit, but you have to be very mindful, the beans expand, and depending on the bean may start running out of room for them towards the end so have to fine tweak the loft to keep from launching them if you overstuff on a roast.  Otherwise it has plenty of power to do what you need as well.

Another Rednecky way of doing stuff, (this is my forte here :)  )   Roast in the room with the dryer, close the door, but turn dryer on while roasting, with a piece of paper or something to trigger the door switch.   The dryer will suck the smoke out of the room, shut door keeps smoke relatively in that room only.  Ive done this with my Behmor in the past before I got disgusted with B's in general and stopped using them.

The professional way, you use a dryer vent type hose to bring it outside, and plenty of improvisation if you want to experiment.

If you have any questions about the unit or anything, please feel free to post here or PM me.   I own an Artisan 6, which is the bigger unit and love it.

If you do get one of their units, could you please put a note that ascholten referred you there.

Also, the thing will do as little as 8 oz of coffee, up to whatever you can shove into it.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bergertone

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
I've long wondered why a BBQ grill couldn't be properly vented and used indoors, and how that setup would be different than my Ambex.  What makes it safe to roast indoors w/ mine, but not a grill? F

On point, how did you set your budget at $3K?  Can it be budged higher to allow for a used 2K from say, US Roasters?
Hi Peter, First of all my house dosen't have room for a Bbq grill indoors, I would image to vent a large grill would also be tough, I would say that idea is off my table.
US Roasters don't make a 2K roaster, perhaps at one time, I did search for a used one no luck there.
 As far as $3,000. it's just a starting number,  I'm just starting to look. Some of the newer small models seem to be under that.
RC Drum, Aillio, Behmor
Good Coffee and Be-Bop!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »
I would look for an Ambex or something like it  if I were wanting to do that sort of volume since you're used to a drum setup. 

Good luck on the move-up.