Author Topic: Roasted coffee storage containers  (Read 3645 times)

Online ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: Roasted coffee storage containers
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 08:24:04 PM »
I was taught that the build up of CO2 pressure in a solid container slows the release of subsequent C02 thus altering the off gassing process.  Whether this alters taste or just slows the maturation process is beyond my knowledge.  I just let the gas escape through a loose lid and not worry about it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:26:48 PM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
Why does the CO2 have to be let out?

I think so you can smell it. Actually I think it's more of a situation for store bags and shipping. I think in an airtight bag they kinda poof up then occupy more space or if shipping it could explode at high altitudes. I use craft non airtight bags and it's never a situation, but I don't believe the whole c02 makes the coffee taste bad stuff
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 04:36:01 AM »
the CO2 does not have to necessarily be let out, but more like, so no pressure builds up.  If you are storing in mason jars, pressurizing them can cause the to crack / break.  I don't think you'd ever get enough to pop a plastic bag, I have yet to see it from off gassing.   The CO2 actually I think would slow down the aging process a bit because the oxygen is not on the beans oxidizing them.  Same reason we pack them in vac bags etc, to keep the oxygen off them.

If you are shipping, leave a pinhole in the plastic bag, because a bag filling up like a pillow, first time the postal monkeys drop the box or slap something heavy on top of it, that bag is going to pop and you have beans busted all over in the box now, if they rip the box, now you lose your product.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Online ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 07:30:35 AM »
I agree with Aaron that the CO2 actually protects the beans from oxidation and Joe's puffy bag scenario makes a lot of sense.  As a side note, I froze some fresh roasted beans just before leaving for Christmas.  I pulled them out two days ago, and they are off gassing like I roasted them yesterday. I expected some off gassing, but this is a lot!  :o   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:32:46 AM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Offline SpecialReserve

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
Purple mason jars with lids loose for first 24 hrs or so then on tight ...I have never been able to tell any difference between having a valve or not. Could be because the delicious coffee I get from the GCBC distros doesn't last long enough LOL!
Everything is better with coffee

Online ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »
Purple mason jars with lids loose for first 24 hrs or so then on tight ...I have never been able to tell any difference between having a valve or not. Could be because the delicious coffee I get from the GCBC distros doesn't last long enough LOL!
How true, although I'm sure purple jars impart a blueberry or blackberry flavor... ;D
AZ Peter