Author Topic: Favorite Roasters?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
Favorite Roasters?
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:44 AM »
Hi all. First time caller, long time listener. I am interested in investing in a roaster for more than 1lb of coffee. What are some of your current favorite roasters?

Thanks!

-boomslang.

RobertL

Re: Favorite Roasters?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »
I’m curious why are you interested in a one pound roaster? Will you be roasting for personal consumption or for others? A one pound roaster will limit your options as far as home roasters go. What is your budget? You can build a SC/TO for less than $200 and or your could buy a Huky or Sonofresco for $2000. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
Mostly so I don't have to roast more than once a week. And if I get really good at it maybe I can give a little to friends or family. I have been pan and popper roasting, but it is cold outside and I found myself not going out to roast in the snow. Pan indoors does not make the wife happy at all. I have been reading a bit about roasters online but it seems that the ones that are less than or near to 1k have long term reliability issues. I suppose I could make something myself if it is not too difficult as I am not the handiest type. I might be able to swing near 2k if that woman that lives in my house doesn't find out that I spent 2k on a coffee roaster.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
So, you have a many-faceted problem...  I'd suggest, first off, that you figure out how to roast inside if at all possible.  What are your options for roasting indoors?  Basement? 

I'll also suggest a SC/TO; it will do a great job, and the cost factor will keep that woman happy... and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you cobbled it together at a fraction of the cost of anything you can buy.

How much coffee do you go through in a week?  If you get a roaster that can do that much or more, you'll be drinking the same coffee all week long.  If you get a roaster that does half as much and you will spend a little more time roasting (20min vs. 40min.) but have some variety.

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
Indeed I have a basement. I also have one of the old 1500W west bend poppery things. I am still not sure what an SC/TO is, but I will keep looking when I have some free time.

I think we drink near a pound a week.

Thanks very much for the responses!

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
Indeed I have a basement. I also have one of the old 1500W west bend poppery things. I am still not sure what an SC/TO is, but I will keep looking when I have some free time.

I think we drink near a pound a week.

Thanks very much for the responses!

This will give you a good idea...  Such Fun!

I still use a basement window to exhaust my smoke; the screen or storm window comes out before roasting, and a piece of plywood w/ holes where the roaster's ductwork attaches...

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
Nice! You don't have a parts list up there hidden do ya? I found this set of directions:
http://www.u-roast-em.com/BuildRoaster.pdf

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »
Nice! You don't have a parts list up there hidden do ya? I found this set of directions:
http://www.u-roast-em.com/BuildRoaster.pdf

Nah... parts are too interchangeable and everybody has their own ideas...

The u-roastem pdf has some good stuff in it... a few items I would change, but overall pretty good.  If you decide to go this route, we can offer some tips.

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
i am definitely interested in going this way. I'll do some research tonight.

Thanks!

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »
i am definitely interested in going this way. I'll do some research tonight.

Thanks!

I'll throw my hat in with peter on the sc/to.  Even if you only roast with it for a relatively short period of time before you move on to something else, you will learn more about roasting than with almost any other method and can crank out great coffee.  When you do move on, you'll have a much better grip on what your needs/preferences are.  Selling your sc/to will not be a problem!
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:53:17 AM »
What are some of the favorite turbo ovens these days?

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »
Ok. I bought a black SC and a GG off ebay. I was thinking of getting a shop vac micro for cooling station, would that work:

Shop-Vac 2021000 Micro Wet/Dry

Thanks,

-C.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
Ok. I bought a black SC and a GG off ebay. I was thinking of getting a shop vac micro for cooling station, would that work:

Shop-Vac 2021000 Micro Wet/Dry

Thanks,

-C.

Definitely.  You can probably use something cheaper for cooling if you wish (or maybe I just have cooler envy - mine is a 6 inch fan in the bottom of a landscaping bucket on legs with a screen!  ;D
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »
I used my shopvac for a while, but when I noticed the hose getting hot and mushy I figured it might not be good for the motor/fan...  So I bought a $10 Honeywell table fan, you know those little black 3spd things... and built a bean cooler around that.  It's just a tall cardboard box with a baffle so that the fan draws air down across the beans and out the front of the box which was replaced with window screen.

Offline boomslang

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
Yep. the pic on your website is where i got the shopvac idear. Thanks. ;p