Author Topic: Favorite Roasters?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
Re: Favorite Roasters?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
I built a bean cooler several years ago using a 5 gallon bucket with a lid I got free with a purchase at an autoparts store and a stainless dog food bowl I got at the dollar store. Drilled many small holes in the bottom of the dish, cut a round hole in the bucket lid a little smaller than the flange of the dog dish and RTV'd it in place. Then I cut a hole in the side of bucket near the bottom slightly smaller than my shop vac hose so it fits snugly. Voila! A very efficient cooler and chaff remover for under $4. Since I already have my shop vac nearby when roasting to suck up chaff from my SC/TO, it serves a dual purpose. Just be careful when sucking up chaff that is glowing; I'm still waiting on a fire ;D
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 01:09:54 PM »
I’m curious why are you interested in a one pound roaster? Will you be roasting for personal consumption or for others? A one pound roaster will limit your options as far as home roasters go. What is your budget? You can build a SC/TO for less than $200 and or your could buy a Huky or Sonofresco for $2000. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Exactly and don't forget the BBQ roasters like RKDrums...
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »
Ok. I bought a black SC and a GG off ebay. I was thinking of getting a shop vac micro for cooling station, would that work:

Shop-Vac 2021000 Micro Wet/Dry

Thanks,

-C.

Ok, peter's is a lot nicer than my set up, but if you want to go the Shop-Vac direction, our local Costco had a similar model spec wise to the Shop-Vac Micro, but Porter Cable Brand for $20 after various discounts.  I have no idea about the quality of Porter Cable products vs. Shop-Vac.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:51:24 PM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
When sucking on a 5 lb batch of beans to cool them, the aluminum tubing running into the suction of the sucker / blower fan gets hot enough to give you blisters.  When sucking on a 2 lb batch, it gets hot enough to blister (I don't learn very fast do I?)

You are sucking the air off of 425 degrees plus beans, and if you are running it through a plastic / vinyl vacuum cleaner hose, it may very well melt it, or possibly the plastic impeller of the vacuum.   Use with care.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 05:23:12 AM »
Use a metal or wood spoon to stir the beans so they cool more quickly, and you'll be fine.

My buddy uses one of these with a RK drum setup. His 5 gal shopvac sucks masses of air across the beans so they lose heat quickly. 

Just keep your fingers off of the hose.