Author Topic: FrankenRoaster  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
FrankenRoaster
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »
Ok.
I'll post some pictures from my desktop later, since my phone wants to post extremely large ones.
But . . .

I have a FrankenRoaster! Mua-ha-ha-ha!

Sunpentown TO with the Stir Crazy and currently using an old spring pan spacer, bent for chaff release.

I haven't disconnected the heating unit to the SC as I need the special bit and no one in a 1 hour radius carries it ( will have to order it).
However, I roasted last weekend - charred some and made a mixed roast batch as I learned the tweaks.
Today, I roasted, slowed it down, eased the temps after first crack and came up with a gorgeous med/dark roast. Should be a beaut.

This is going to be fun.
And so much easier than babysitting the popcorn machine.

~Amy

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: FrankenRoaster
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
Good work!  It can only get better from here.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
Yay!  Off and running.... Congrats.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
I think you're going to be loving this setup... I don't think I could get vastly better coffee from a roaster at any price than what I get from a SC/TO.

var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:00:03 PM »
I think you're going to be loving this setup... I don't think I could get vastly better coffee from a roaster at any price than what I get from a SC/TO.

And you'll learn a TON about roasting different origins.  I still use mine when I need to roast large quantities of coffee for events and it works great.
AZ Peter

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
If you give the inside of the glass a quick wipe between roasts with some steel wool or scotchbrite pad, it will help to keep the beans visible while you train your nose and ears. Also, you might consider getting a temp probe to monitor bean temps. An cheap multi-meter that came with a k-type thermocouple sensor is what I use.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline drg02b

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:27:20 AM »
My TO burned out after a year (~300 pounds of roasting) -- Newegg has some open box Rosewill TO's for about $22.  No reason to pay more than $50 for the top.

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
I paid 30 each for the two parts. Less than $100 total for everything.
Although I still can not locate the security bit.
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »
Although many people may not want to waste a day hop shopping, but I can't help but think that there should be a number of these in goodwills, amvets, salvation army, etc type shops all over the place, let alone flea markets.

My mom would look forward to spending a day browsing places like this, much to my dads ire when she came home with more stuff to pile up :)
Me on the other hand, as I get older and Curmudgeonier, I want to go get whatever at ONE place and be done with it.  Im at the point where I have too darned many half done, never will be, projects as it is laying in various states around the house, I don't need to be bringing home more crap to not do what I want with.  That's why I mail order all my more projects to never complete and stare at and trip over :P

Too bad Amazon is so hit or miss on stuff like this now.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
EBAY.

Sometimes Amazon gets me what I want, but I use Ebay a lot for these things.

I used to enjoy browsing various shops, but since I went back to work I've discovered I'm a bit of a workaholic. Which means I have no time for browsing.

But I get the unfinished projects lying around.  I have many.  Occasionally I think about taking a week's vacation so I can clear them out and declutter most of the house.  The older I get, the more like Red Foreman I become.  Cranky, snarky, and everyone is a "dumbass".
~Amy

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
The single best thing I did to score FrankenRoaster parts a few years ago was hang out with the guy who does the testing/sorting at a large thrift center and told him what I was looking for and asked him to text me.  He said no as everyone tries to get him to do that.  A few months later, I stopped in again, but brought him some fresh roasted beans.  And then again a few months later.  Sure enough, within six months, I scored a couple of like new Galloping Gourmet turbo ovens from the shop.  Bribery over technology.  ;D
AZ Peter

Offline drg02b

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
When I made my first Frankenroaster, I shopped several thrift stores to no avail.  But finding things online, I've been pretty successful buying/modding for friends.

bobbooks

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »
Peter is the "go to guy" when it comes to SC/TO build and roasting.  He is the one that got me started a couple of years ago and I now roast 1+ lbs with my modified SC/TO.  Well balanced roasts every time.

See my modifications to do this at:  http://www.bobbooks.net

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
Peter is the "go to guy" when it comes to SC/TO build and roasting.  He is the one that got me started a couple of years ago and I now roast 1+ lbs with my modified SC/TO.  Well balanced roasts every time.

See my modifications to do this at:  http://www.bobbooks.net

Hey!  Who said you could be here?!  ;D

As far as innovative mods go, Bob is actually the "go-to-guy"!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 04:42:38 PM »
I stumbled into a SC/TO build a couple years ago at GW and that pony hasn't quit on me yet.

Walked into GW, and there it was... Sharper Image TO sitting next to a stir crazy. Didn't take me two seconds to see that was a match made in coffee heaven.

I added a stainless steel pie pan in the middle cause I was super comfortable with the appearance of the Teflon coated stir crazy.