Author Topic: Solis Maestro rebuild?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline altoid

• Standard User
Solis Maestro rebuild?
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
I love my Solis Maestro burr mill, but it has begun to howl, bog down and grind poorly. I have cleaned as best I can, including with compressed air, but the problems remain (although performance has improved somewhat.) Baratza once repaired the Maestro in-house, but they seem to have quit servicing only the Maestro. So my question: Is there anyone out there who can do a professional job of servicing the Solis Maestro burr burr grinder?  It's an oldie but goodie! Many thanks for your help!
Seek moderation in all things, including abstinence.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: Solis Maestro rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:40:55 PM »
Baratza is usually very service friendly.  Have you tried calling them (I know, so old school).
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
Do you actually know what's wrong with it?

I'd guess the drive gears are worn out.  The Encore has a different/new drive train, so if they're in fact not servicing the Maestro, it's probably that having parts made and stocking them for a smaller and smaller customer base is not smart business-wise.

Say it needs a new drivetrain, and with shipping to wherever, it costs you $70.  How much confidence can one have that in a year or two the motor won't need replacing too?  I like fixing things and keeping them forever just out of principle, but eventually, you'll have to put the Maestro to rest and look at (perhaps) an Encore.  That's why I asked if you knew what was wrong with it...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline altoid

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
Thanks, Peter. I got a great reply from Baratza that agreed with your diagnosis and your prescription. I'm going for a newer unit, darn it.   ;<)
Seek moderation in all things, including abstinence.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
Thanks, Peter. I got a great reply from Baratza that agreed with your diagnosis and your prescription. I'm going for a newer unit, darn it.   ;<)

Well, you can't say you didn't get your money worth out of the Maestro...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
I repaired my Maestro two years ago by replacing the burrs.  Unfortunately, the new burrs that I received were ever so slightly different.  Even with the unbeatable service from Baraza, the bottom burr is now set in the housing, never to come out, again.  I cannot remove it to clean.  I ended up giving it to a friend, and am using my Vario for drip and my Compak E8 for espresso.  All good things must come to an end, eventually.  At least you can say you tried.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac