Author Topic: Yet another roaster upgrade question thread  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Jddurango

• Standard User
Re: Yet another roaster upgrade question thread
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 08:01:01 AM »
Peter, how do you like your 2K Ambex?

I bought a Huky about 6 months ago.  While I like it...I'm ready for something bigger for bigger batches.

It's been flawless.  I just clean the fan and ducts and grease it every 2-3 months and it chugs right along.  Granted, at ~100#/mo. the roaster's only seeing 9 hours of roasting plus warm up/cool down, but the member that sold it to me used it 40hrs/week for a long time before he finally upgraded to a 10K.  So it's been put through its paces, and has never let me down.

Mine has a Watlow thingie that lets you set a temperature for the gas to go on/off, and it has a dial and a gauge to show gas pressure - that controls the flames.  It's old school for sure, as far as any PID's or profiling, and that's fine with me.

I resemble that remark!  Keep me cleaned up and my joints greased and I'll keep chugging along.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
How much change was there from the prior roaster to the Ambex?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
How much change was there from the prior roaster to the Ambex?

You're asking moi?

Believe it or not, the SC/TO produces very similar results to the Ambex.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
+1 to what Peter said.

Ive said it before many times, one has to learn how to use their equipment and they can produce outstanding coffee time after time.
Ive roasted 20 plus dollar a pound Geisha in my 300 dollar Behmor, and it turned out phenomenal.
Ive destroyed 3 dollar a pound coffee in my 3000 dollar Artisan.
spending a ton of money on a good roaster is not going to make you a good roaster, learning your machine and the process will :)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!