Author Topic: Grinder recommendations  (Read 2040 times)

Offline jesuisyann

• Standard User
Grinder recommendations
« on: June 02, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my $50 Cuisinart grinder. I waited for the new Baratza after reading great reviews until I saw that the Sette 30 looks like... I'm wondering what you folks are using out there. I do pour over and french press. I'd love to grind for Turkish but I think that would require a a higher end grinder which I'm not ready for (still working on my roasting).

Thanks!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Grinder recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:19:46 PM »
Are you saying you don't like the looks of the Sette? 

For what you brew, an Encore would do fine.

For pourover or press pot, I use a Virtuoso.  But that's only because I found it on CL for cheap.  Otherwise, I'd have an Encore.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline jesuisyann

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:39:17 AM »
Thanks, Peter. I've used the Encore once and I like that it's quieter than what I currently use. I'll look for deals for that one or Virtuoso.

Regarding the Sette, I don't like the way it looks and it seems like it would take up more space. Nice grinder though.

Offline edgarallanpoe

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
The Encore or the Virt are going to be your best bet.  I don't regret buying my Virt one single bit, it's a fabulous grinder

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
Thanks, Peter. I've used the Encore once and I like that it's quieter than what I currently use. I'll look for deals for that one or Virtuoso.

Regarding the Sette, I don't like the way it looks and it seems like it would take up more space. Nice grinder though.

Baratza price-protects their products, so I doubt that you'll find on much less than $125/130.  You could watch their website and maybe get a refurb for ~$100, and I would trust that it would be a good unit.  Or maybe a used one off of ebay, since parts and service are top-notch and you could be comfortable that it would be a good long-term investment.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »
I've purchased refurb units for others and they have been great.  Encores go fast however. I love my Virtuoso.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline jesuisyann

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
Awesome. I didn't know about refurbished models. I ordered a Virtuoso  8)

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »
I think you will be very happy.  Fast, fairly quiet, great consistent  grind for all but espresso.

AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6