Author Topic: Impressions thus far on the R1  (Read 1820 times)

Offline edgarallanpoe

• Standard User
Impressions thus far on the R1
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
I received it on Friday and after inspecting it everything looked to be in order.  There was no obvious damage done in shipping and everything seemed to still be lined up properly.  I fired it up and after a quick check my original thoughts were confirmed.  I was relieved as it seemed like a lot of people receiving this new batch were getting shipping issues with things being out of alignment.  Here are my thoughts thus far...keep in mind I am relatively new to roasting and my experience thus far has been limited to a Behmor 1600+.

1.  Wow..the amount of data available on a roast is really cool.  All of the sensors giving real time feedback on temps and RoR etc can be a bit overwhelming.  But I figured it out fairly quickly.
2.  The warning sound every 2 minutes after temps read 160c is really onerous.  I understand why it's there..its just a pain in the ass to have to hit a button on the faceplate every two minutes.  It doesn't seem like it recognizes computer commands and still requires hitting a button on the faceplate to stop the beeping.
3.  The control over the roast is really impressive.
4.  The basic maintenance is really simple.  I've cleaned the IR window twice and emptied the chaff collector several times with ease

Overall I couldn't be happier.  This is an amazing machine.  I've done 3 roasts thus far.  2 dry processed Ethiopians and a ntural Yemen.  I'll let you know how it tastes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:53:38 AM by edgarallanpoe »

Offline Badam

• Standard User
Re: Impressions thus far on the R1
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »
I looked at this roaster for a while, but was torn as to if I would have enough power to roast at 110V or if I'd be in the same league as the Behmor. How is it performing with regards to power?

I know they have the 220V version, but I imagine if I were going to install an outlet for my roaster I'd get something like Aaron's Artisan.

Offline edgarallanpoe

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Power is no problem so far.  I'm doing 600g roasts and its chewing those up with ease.  The Yemen I roasted is outstanding and very different tasting than the same coffee in my Behmor.  But the control over the roast is light years ahead of the Behmor...there is no comparison between the machines...nor should there be considering the price difference.

I am using a Variac and I'm lucky enough to have a 20a line in my garage that isn't shared with anything else.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:55:07 AM by edgarallanpoe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
I like the artisan because it will let me do as little 8 oz or as much 7 lbs at a time as I want.
Their latest the 1.5 i think will let you do 3 to 4 pounds at a shot.
The Artisan will let you run back to back to back all day and night.  It is NOT a compact machine though.
This one looks a bit easy to store somewhere,  the Artisan is really a commercial type machine and fairly large.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline edgarallanpoe

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »
Aaron...I can easily put this machine under my arm, grab the laptop and carry it anywhere.  It has an extremely small footprint...about double the Behmor.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »
All I can say is, wise choice!  If I did not get the Bullet, I would be looking at the Artisan, but I think I like the drum and the technology of the Bullet, especially the induction heating.  I also really enjoy the camaraderie of Jonas and Jacob.  Good guys and a good company.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac