Author Topic: Need advice on cleaning of a commercial roaster  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Bmralex

• Standard User
  • Coffee-Tech Artigiano
Need advice on cleaning of a commercial roaster
« on: July 25, 2018, 04:20:31 AM »
I recently bought used Coffee-Tech Artegiano 5 lbs roaster, which needs a serious cleaning, including fan blades, elbows, pipes, etc. I would appreciate if someone can provide advice on methods of effective cleaning of a small size commercial roaster: what solution should be used & how, etc. Thanks!!!!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Need advice on cleaning of a commercial roaster
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
I have a flexible brush, looks like a 2' bottle brush to run through pipes, which are about 2" or less on my Ambex.  And I have some wooden sticks, a piece of 1" PVC, and a 5-in-1 paint tool for knocking crud off of the pipes before I hit them with that brush.  I use another wire brush and the 5-in-1 on the squirrel cage of the exhaust fan.  No solutions or sprays are used; I just prefer mechanical removal of the crud - what I fondly call roastium.

The exhaust fan is IMHO the most important part to keep clean.  The 2" airways have a permanent layer of crud that's about 1/8 thick at the elbows which might increase by 1/16 when they're in need of cleaning.  I don't feel like the airflow is restricted, even then, so I'd say don't worry about getting those back to pristine condition.  But the squirrel cage's ability to move air is hindered much more easily.

So I don't know how dirty yours is, or what you mean by 'in need of serious cleaning'...  of course you may have no way of knowing at this point, but don't assume it's as bad as you think and don't be overly concerned with something that might not impact the roasting.  If you find something totally unacceptable, maybe you can find new or new-ish parts of have something fabricated.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
I would be careful on cleaners to use.  Id use IPA (rubbing alcohol) on it,  it will dissolve the gunk and not leave any residue that could cause issues.  If you get the higher concentrate stuff you could darn near soak the thing in it, or at least douche it down real well and scrub the crud and rinse off with the IPA and mop it up with towels, sponges etc as necessary.

If you do use any kind of 'solvent' to clean, make darned sure it's dried out before you turn the heat back on.   Bottle brushes and larger pipe cleaners may work well too to sneak into tighter areas.  be careful tho not to wash the lubricant out of any motor / fan blade bearings or bushings though, and if you do, repack them properly.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bmralex

• Standard User
  • Coffee-Tech Artigiano
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
Thank you so much for great hints. Very helpful. I have the long lint lifting brush, rubbing alcohol, and other hardware recommend here so my next weekend will be well structurized!!! Thanks again, great help!
Alex

Offline Bmralex

• Standard User
  • Coffee-Tech Artigiano
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Peter, Aaron, thanks for your advise. The layer of crud was .5"  thick so it definitely would restrict the airflow. The exhaust fan blades were cleaned and now look like new. I ordered a new cooling fan, as its blades are very difficult to clean properly (and it costs only 30$ new). I need to find out the model and type of temp probe for BT data logging (it does not have one) and i am ready to go.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
I would almost be willing to put money on it the TC is a K type thermocouple.  Very common and cheap.  You should be able to get a new probe for a few dollars.  If you need the new head unit too for the digital readout you should be able to get the whole thing for maybe 20 dollars on E bay.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bmralex

• Standard User
  • Coffee-Tech Artigiano
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »
I would almost be willing to put money on it the TC is a K type thermocouple.  Very common and cheap.  You should be able to get a new probe for a few dollars.  If you need the new head unit too for the digital readout you should be able to get the whole thing for maybe 20 dollars on E bay.

Aaron

Aaron, do you mean something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITAL-EGT-THERMOMETER-PYROMETER-W-PROBE-NPT/200339741326?hash=item2ea52dda8e%3Ag%3AZssAAOSwbtVZU9Vx%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass%2120853%21US%21-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=digital+head+TC++probe&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor

Offline Bmralex

• Standard User
  • Coffee-Tech Artigiano
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
Thank you so much, Aaron. That was super helpful. I got the idea. I think i will try to find a digital thermometer with USB output so i can hook it up to Artisan. I used to have Amprobe TMD56 for my QuestM3, may be i can find digital readout head with USB output.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!

Offline Bmralex

• Standard User
  • Coffee-Tech Artigiano
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »
Thank you so much. for this information. Very helpful!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
One of the indications for which Simple Green was invented was to clean commercial coffee roasters and equipment. 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »
It still leaves a residue that needs to be cleaned off, it also is nowhere near as effective as good ole IPA for the kind of gunk that's probably on there.  Yes it may eventually get the stuff off but how long do you want to spend scrubbing and reapplying?

Aaron