Author Topic: Best auto drip coffeemaker with more than 40 ounce capacity  (Read 12278 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Best auto drip coffeemaker with more than 40 ounce capacity
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Understood.
If it's a button those can be replaced,  if it's a t stat might be a little more difficult but doable.
start the new thread and I can try to help you there if you want.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
I have been roasting my own beans since the 1990's, have a Pasquini Livia 90 and Rocky Rancilio for espresso, several presses and a Chemex for pour-over. For the workday mornings when we have to get out the door, I have been using a Capresso MT-500 which was on its last legs. I decided another auto drip was in order. I reviewed all the current high-end makers, but insisted on something with a thermal carafe, brewing temp of 200 degrees, pre-infusion, made more than 40 ounces of coffee and could brew with a push of a single button, since my wife does not like to fuss with the coffee maker.

My research led me to this machine: the Zojirushi EC-YTC-100 (https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/ecytc). I also looked at the Technivorm, Brazen, Cuisinart, Capresso, Breville and Bonavita offerings. I have had the Zojirushi for a week now. So far, it has been excellent. I measure the temp in the carafe at 188 degrees and in the coffee ground bed at 200-202 degrees and the coffee tastes excellent. I brew using the 'time-saver' option and a full pot of 50 ounces takes about 9-10 minutes to brew. The coffee is extracted very well without undue bitterness. I generally roast to a 'full city' or 'medium' (10-15 seconds into second crack) level so I don't roast out all the varietal character from the coffee.

The carafe keeps the coffee hot for at least four hours; we have always finished the coffee by this point. It uses a 8-12 cup flat basket and I use Melitta filters rather than the included permanent filter; my wife does not like fines/sludge in her coffee. I am especially impressed by the large showerhead which gives an excellent even brew over the coffee grounds. Clean-up is easy since the filter basket and water tank lift right out for cleaning and filling. It is constructed well and does not appear flimsy.

So far, this appears to be a winner. I will update this review as needed.

PS: Added link to machine
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:37:57 PM by MGLloyd »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the review Michael.  It is much appreciated.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
Yes Michael, thank you.  Seems to be a winner performance wise. 

Gotta give you a shout-out too for being a Livia user.  Mine is back in-line after a brief and recent flirtation with a lever machine. 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
I really like the controls on the front on Zojirushi, I reached out to them to see if we can do a admin review.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
I am doing a series of experiments with the temperature of the water in the tank vs. total time of brewing.  Using the 'time saver' setting and using 50 degree water from the tap, total brewing time is 11 minutes to brew 10 cups. Using the the 'time saver' setting and using 105 degree water from the tap, total brewing time is 7.5 minutes for ten cups, and I detect more sweetness and smoothness in the cup.  I am going to continue some additional work on this.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 04:12:21 PM »
This holds true for pretty much any coffee pot on the brew time.  If you put hot water from the tap into a Technivorn I want to say that thing will spew it out in 3 to 4 minutes.  I'll have to time it but it screams through.  When the water is cold, it's not so fast.  Ive noticed that I like the coffee as you said, when it's brewed with hotter starting water, though not entirely sure why that'd make the difference when it's all supposedly at the same temp when it comes out.  Im thinking maybe because the faster the water is coming out the more the grounds are able to soak in a pool of water .vs. just a quick pass and review.  This is another reason I like to close off the basket on my TV and let it fill and swirl then pour through, it's like a pour over and I find it gives a better overall flavor.  Not that the TV is lacking without that but Id think that method implemented on any pot would work.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 07:31:53 PM »
^^^I know that one of the SCAA brewer standards is to brew a full pot within 4-8 minutes, to maximize extraction and minimize bitterness. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/584f6bbef5e23149e5522201/t/5a60fd1024a694c931e79a8d/1516305684789/2017+SCA+CHB+Program+Requirements.pdf

So since the 'time saver' cycle with cold water from the tap (we are on a well) is approximately 10-11 minutes, by experimenting with the temp of the water, I am trying to get the brewing cycle within that 4-8 minute timeframe.  Ideally, I will notice a difference in the cup.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
although it'd be starting out pretty hot,  the pot should be able to handle it.  Brew half a pot or even a full pot of just water. top off and pour back in to rebrew with coffee this time.  The water is plenty hot and should come out pretty quickly for you then.
Aaron

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Man the c/net review on this machine isn't so great. They basically recommend a bonavita over it.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 05:33:37 AM »
Thanks for the pre-brew water hack Aaron. Never thought to try that before but I did get 10 more degrees F on my Ottomatic.

I'd love a TV or BV but my better half bought this for me and I don't know a good way to break it to get something different.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »
Man the c/net review on this machine isn't so great. They basically recommend a bonavita over it.

I read that review.  Note that the model I bought is a later model with the pre-infusion, etc.  I am especially not noticing the bitterness that CNet complained of.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
although it'd be starting out pretty hot,  the pot should be able to handle it.  Brew half a pot or even a full pot of just water. top off and pour back in to rebrew with coffee this time.  The water is plenty hot and should come out pretty quickly for you then.
Aaron

Not necessarily pertinent to this model, but I have read cautions about doing that from the perspective of damaging parts on the tank/heating/brewing system that are not designed for that level of heat.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »
Aaron

Not necessarily pertinent to this model, but I have read cautions about doing that from the perspective of damaging parts on the tank/heating/brewing system that are not designed for that level of heat.

After a couple experiments I can say that the brew is hotter and my machine just spit that out.  The coffee was awful. Tightened the grind a couple notches to increase the soak time to the appropriate number but man, it was bad. 

Boo hoo for me. Back to espresso, V60, and Aeropress.   ;)

Glad you're getting good brew with your Zojirushi! 

Offline CafeDan

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »

The c/net review is for the older model YSC100 which looks nearly identical.  The new one, YTC100, adds pre-infusion. It would be nice to know for sure that the performance is improved over the old model too, but Michael's review is the only one I've seen that suggests that is the case. The few other Amazon reviews so far seem to think the YTC100 still doesn't brew hot enough.

Anyway, I just got the Bonavita 1901TS and am not happy with it.  I brewed a couple of pots and fully 1/3 of the grounds in the basket were still bone dry at the end of the cycle.  I ran it again without the basket so I could observe the operation and discovered water is only being dispensed from 2 of the 11 holes in the shower head.  It's the same even after disassembling and blowing out the shower head in case there was blockage (there wasn't).  Maybe I got a defective unit but regardless, the build quality seems cheap.

I also tried the Technivorm and returned it. That machine retains a lot of water in its boiler after brewing. I don't make whole pots of coffee that often, so that doesn't work for me. I can't have stagnant water left forgotten in the boiler for days, or even weeks between use. So I was hoping this new Zojirushi model might turn out to be a great sleeper find.

Btw in case anyone is wondering, I had to re-register as a new user because I haven't been on this site in forever and apparently I got purged. I was specifically looking for info on this Zojirushi machine though, so I'm happy to be back for it.