Author Topic: Best auto drip coffeemaker with more than 40 ounce capacity  (Read 12286 times)

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
Best auto drip coffeemaker with more than 40 ounce capacity
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:06:18 PM »
I have a Capresso MT-500 that is on its last legs. I am looking for a replacement for when I don't want to use the presses or the Chemex.  I have been looking at the SCA-certified brewers and have not found one with more than 40 ounce capacity in a thermal carafe.  If the Bonavita had a larger capacity it would be perfect.  Is anyone aware of an auto drip with pre-infusion, brewing temp of 200-205 degrees and a capacity in excess of 40 ounces? 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: Best auto drip coffeemaker with more than 40 ounce capacity
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »
I have a Bonavita BV1901TS.  I let it run for 50 seconds or so (pre and start of brew) and then throw in 10 oz  more of water.  The carafe can hold more than that.  It works great for me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:13:48 AM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »
A quick search on Amazon. If you find a better deal on other sites, please share.

OXO On Barista Brain 9 Cup Coffee Maker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YEYKK8U/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Bonavita BV1901TS Connoisseur 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker Featuring Hanging Filter Basket and Thermal Carafe
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1901TS-Connoisseur-One-Touch-Featuring/dp/B076PFMRGX

Breville BDC450BSS Precision Brewer Thermal Coffee Maker
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BDC450BSS-Precision-Brewer-Thermal/dp/B078RQVQF1

Technivorm Moccamaster 39340 Coffee Brewer, Brushed Silver, 60 fl. oz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G4KR3QE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00G4KR3QE

Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 79112 Coffee Brewer, 40 oz, Polished Silver
https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-Coffee-Brewer-Polished/dp/B002S4DI2S
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:05:02 AM by 9Sbeans »

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
I eliminated the Technivorms from consideration due to the requirement that you manually stir the grounds half way through brewing to ensure even extraction.  For $ 300, you should not have to do that.

I cannot find the actual volume of the Oxo.  Since 'cup' is not a standard measurement for coffee makers, and I have seen 'cup' sizes ranging from 4 to 5 to 6 to 8 ounces, I am not sure how much 9 cups is.  I have tried to enlarge the online photos to look at the volume of the water tank markings without success.

The Breville looks to be on point with a 60 ounce capacity, albeit at $ 300. 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
I eliminated the Technivorms from consideration due to the requirement that you manually stir the grounds half way through brewing to ensure even extraction.  For $ 300, you should not have to do that.

I cannot find the actual volume of the Oxo.  Since 'cup' is not a standard measurement for coffee makers, and I have seen 'cup' sizes ranging from 4 to 5 to 6 to 8 ounces, I am not sure how much 9 cups is.  I have tried to enlarge the online photos to look at the volume of the water tank markings without success.

The Breville looks to be on point with a 60 ounce capacity, albeit at $ 300.

You don't have to do that for a technivorm, I have owned one or another for several years and yeah people do it, but since they started using the multiple hole design brew head it's unnecessary. I think Aaron likes to do something similar with his, but I never did.

OXO is the same volume as the technivorm even if its called 8 cup vs 10 cup. My preference on the list is the OXO brewer but it has it's own issues the drip stop doesn't work well half the time but sometimes it does. The brew is nice and the extra features are nice too, but you wont use half of them. I have a feeling that the simplicity of the technivorm is a better investment in the long run.

Bonavita is a great value and no shame if you don't want to plunk down $200+ but you can get used and slightly used technivorms for a good value. Bonavita is awkward with the lids and brewer heads etc... But I had one for several years and I would not hesitate to recommend it to 99.9% of people just wanting good coffee.

Brevielle seems like a 2nd teir brand to me I equate it to cuisinart and I realize that some people don't care but if I was considering a Breviele I would just get a black and decker from Home depot.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »
I like stirring my TV because I like the mouth feel of a good meaty cup of coffee but it is absolutely NOT necessary.  What I actually do is turn the flow off, let the basket fill with water, stir then turn the flow on, let it drain into the pot, turn off, repeat 3 or 4 times until the water is brewed out.
I typically brew with a french press at home, when making coffee at work, I use my TV, so this is the Redneck French Press Method here :)
This is not necessary, you can brew a perfect cup without dorking around like I do on it.
The TV wand has multi holes that do a good job of soaking the grounds down.
If you are worried about not enough extraction, put warm or room temp water in .vs. cold water or even hot water, that thing will DUMP the water into there, trust me you won't have one worry about not enough water to extract the grounds.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/ecytc

Huh. They recently came out with a Zojirushi that has pre-infusion and a 50 ounce capacity.  This seems to tick a lot of boxes.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/ecytc

Huh. They recently came out with a Zojirushi that has pre-infusion and a 50 ounce capacity.  This seems to tick a lot of boxes.

I don't know but their thermal stuff and rice makers are the best.

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 05:44:25 AM »
Well - at >40oz you are up against a hard limitation, IMO.  The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in coffee baskets.  Somewhere around 40+fl.oz you can't fit enough coffee into a cone that it won't make a mess *if* you have a really good water dispersion nozzle system.  I am not a fan of 'basket' shaped filters (either paper or metal-screen), but they can do considerably higher volume - maybe 60+ fl.oz.

I got a 'Breville Precision' unit a few months ago, and it has a lot of nice features - like pre-wetting the grounds, controlled delay, then make at controlled temps & flow rate (slo,med,fast), high quality thermal cafe, can do pour-overs.  I reviewed it briefly here somewhere, BUT after 'playing' with controls for a few weeks I settled on a temp, flow, pre-wetting time, etc close to their SCAA default, and have no need to ever tweak them again. This unit uses a heat-block&pump (yes, really) and they don't guarantee SCAA spec for the basket (maybe the water volume overwhelms their heater).  I haven't used the basket enough to say how it differs.

This breville makes a great cup - as good as the 3 Bonvitas I burned up, and the moccamaster I had for a year, and can use either a cone or basket - tho' I only use cones.

My old Capresso is still on the counter top for my wifes (ugh) decafe.   At the 'MAX' fill line it holds 50fl.oz, & they make great thermal carafes.  If you are lucky enough to get a Capresso that happens to hit good brew temperature - then they are just fine, tho 'IMO a slight notch below the others

When comparing the two, the Breville with 68g of grounds really dirties the paper cone to near the top edge, while the capresso  grounds only ride up the cone side less than an inch.   The pre-wetting and better water nozzle in the Breville seems to be the difference.  Breville is spec'ed at 40floz for cone & 60floz for basket, but  normally overload to 42floz cone.
--

So .. IMO if you really want 50-60 fl.oz of great coffee, you need to consider using a basket system, despite that the flow pattern is likely to be sub-optimal.  I'll suggest you consider ...
A Bunn with adjustable temps.   These are so fast you may not need the capacity, or the Breville Precision.

You probably know the decent cone machines, Moccamaster, Bonvita, Oxo, Breville - then a few new SCAA tested models.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
Go commercial and don't look back. I have a Bloomfield that spits out water at 200F + or - a couple degrees for the entirety of a 60oz+ pot, with a nice big basket that you won't overflow unless you like your coffee as strong as I do and try to brew 12-cups.

However, I can second that Zojirushi is a spectacular brand for breadmakers, hot water dispensers, thermal mugs, and rice cookers, either having owned one myself or through close friends.

Good Luck with your search!

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »
Go commercial and don't look back. I have a Bloomfield that spits out water at 200F + or - a couple degrees for the entirety of a 60oz+ pot, with a nice big basket that you won't overflow unless you like your coffee as strong as I do and try to brew 12-cups.

Which Bloomfield do you have?
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »
My technivorn can do just fine with water flow rate.  No it does not make a huge mess, and who cares if the grounds make it to the top, as long as they don't make it over and to the bottom of your coffee pot.

Seriously, if you start with warm or even tapwater hot... hot water in the TV that thing will cycle it's water in a few minutes, I mean really fast.  You should have NO problem with insufficient wetting of the grounds in their 'cone'.  The only negative is that flow control or whatever you call it flapper on the bottom, it'sbasically shut / half open / open.  if they could make some sort of slide so you could actually set your flow thru rate that'd be an awesome thing.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »
FYI I believe we still have the best discount with newco products. Just mention you are with the green coffee buying club.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 06:33:50 AM »
I picked up a newco several years ago.  It was pretty dang ugly, didn't brew at the right temp, and had a flat basket filter.  It was plug and play with no settings other than off/on.

I may have gotten the wrong one but I didn't see many options.